lake temagami 30 pound lake trout

Jordan VanTorre

hey guys not long point related but i figure it might be a good way to kill some time until we are all back out on the ice !
I got a little video put together from out trek out on lake temagami managed 15 trout the biggest a 42 inch 30 pound beast! all catch and release check out the vid! beats out last years biggest fish on cam that was 37 inches

cheers

Wow that monster must be 20 years old. Good on ya for putting her back, that is a magnificent fish!
In 1985 I caught a natural bred 21 1/2 lb. Laker off Killbear Park near Parry Sound. The MNR biologist took scale samples and aged it at 25 years so a 30 pounder would be significantly older.

Do the catch and release trout actually survive the shock of being brought up from the depths?
I couldn't tell you what the survival rates actually are and I'm sure it depends on handling and time out of the water, but in terms of barotrauma from the pressure change, lake trout and other trout/salmon are far less susceptible than other fish like walleye or bass because they can burp air from their swim bladder to relieve pressure. You can actually hear this in the video at 4:00-4:15 and the guys mention it. Temperature shock coming up from deep water should be less in winter than in summer.

P.S. awesome video, that is the fish of a lifetime.

Do the catch and release trout actually survive the shock of being brought up from the depths?
yeah trout are one of the few species that can burb their air bladder so they have no problems with being caught at deep depths obviously like crestliner16 said handling out of the water would make the biggest impact we were careful keep it in the water and only hold it out for a quick pic and a measure then back down she went on super cold days its even more important to keep them in the water

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks