Lake O / Salmon Question

Puddle Jumper

I am planning on fishing lake O out of Bronte tomorrow.
I have been there a few times with descent success , but generally one rod catches all the fish, dipsy and spoon.

I am hoping too try a few different setups to help increase action, but have a couple questions

Does anyone use:
herring / anchovy rigs ?? behind flashers ?? spindoctors?? on rigger or dipsy??

flashers....what size or colour work best ??

Lead length off cannon ball.....I run 40-50' lead but think its too long ?? allot of fish came up too check out cannon ball, but very few fish caught on rigger...think i'll try 20-25' tomorrow

Body baits....Ive caught a couple salmon on ripplin redfins (first light) but maybe a fluke!!
i used too use lymans on lake huron with success, but havn't heard if worth triing on lake o???

Flasher / fly behind dipsy....Ive never run flashers or spindoctors behind dipsy (just on leadcore) how much lead should there be from dipsy to flasher, then to fly (need too keep total length from dipsy too fly/lure 6' or too difficult to land fish in boat im going out in)

We only have one manual rigger (90' cable) , got several dipsy and jet divers, and 6,8,10 colour leadcore but havn't had any luck on lake O with leadcore in 3 outings , so think i won't bother with lead tommorow.

so most likely going too start with dipsy's out each side # 3 with 100 & 130' line out, rigger down 40-50 and a dipsy or jet diver straight down off back with 100'+ line out...will change if marking fish.

Any help / advice is always appreciated

Wayne

Hi @puddlejumper today we had all rods firing, we used a combo of dispsey's with Spin Doctors and meat and also flies (you may need to tighten the release on the dipsey running flashers). We were running the dispseys on #2 setting 160' back. The riggers had most of the action, we installed a camera this year and your right the salmon do come up to the cannon ball. Our leads are as short as 10' and no longer then 30. First thing this am most of the action was on green spoons with glow in the dark paint. We started at 50' and went as deep at 70' all produced fish.
Here is a pic of a couple from this am.Salmon July 1 2016.jpg

Tight Lines

RT

Hi @puddlejumper today we had all rods firing, we used a combo of dispsey's with Spin Doctors and meat and also flies (you may need to tighten the release on the dipsey running flashers). We were running the dispseys on #2 setting 160' back. The riggers had most of the action, we installed a camera this year and your right the salmon do come up to the cannon ball. Our leads are as short as 10' and no longer then 30. First thing this am most of the action was on green spoons with glow in the dark paint. We started at 50' and went as deep at 70' all produced fish.
Here is a pic of a couple from this am.View attachment 3500

Tight Lines

RT
RT thankyou for the info, and congrats on those nice fish!!

Generally speaking with downriggers -- the further back you are the less action you have on the lure. I have run as close as 10ft from the ball with j-plugs so they rattle like crazy. With salmon I have never got complicated -- j-plugs (mostly green), NK's (spoons) that are silver/green, and I have some old jointed bombers that are green/yellow (salmon love them).

Salmon are silly aggressive.

Only place we used flashers was on Lake Michigan when you are trying to attract them in from a distance.

I always find it odd how far back you have to go for walleye but they don't move as fast as salmon.

20 to 30 ft back is as far as I go if im fishing 40ft down if im going deeper I go shorter if your running meat 18 to 24 inchs behind the flasher flys I run no more then 18 inchs don't be afraid to run the big flashers to

I usually run 10-15 fee behind ball on riggers....the deeper the shorter the leader.
Usually run flies on dipsy....total length from dipsy to fly = the length of the rod....from flasher to fly = 22".
Leave the body baits at home...you'll get most hits on spoons now...some on flies and meat...
Stay around 100 fow....40-60 down.
Make sure you are VERY early....got to be fishing with lines in water by 5am as you'll get most action in first hour-2 hrs.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

We usually run green or blue colours and try to match colour with dipsey, spin dr. and fly. We also run a lead core with a spoon. I have not had great luck with my down riggers but I use a longer lead but will shorten the lead next time. Thanks everyone for the tips. Seems like e-chip flashers work well for us as well behind dipseys and I like to stay in the 2.6 to 3.0 mph on the surface.

Ive fished Bronte/ Pt credit for over 30 years and just keep it simple and use green and silver northern king lures. Matches the main bait fish they eat. Run it behind your down rigger not too far maybe 10 to 20 feet or with a dipsy diver. Dogers/ flashers help but not essential. If the fish are around you will catch them. Ive even caught them at 12 noon in hot sun. Usually the big guys are in the east end of lake by Scotch bonnet area till august then migrate and stage in front of pt credit and Bronte area. Smaller salmon up to 10 lbs are great on the barbecue them with sliced lemons on top and cold beer! Good luck and try the salmon derby. Maybe you will win a new car!

trip cancelled....wind looks a little too strong still, at least for a 16' boat i'd be going out in.
hopefully can get out later this afternoon.

Very interesting post, I have used riggers for a while now on O and always run 90 -120 ft back . I was out yesterday running dips and riggers and went 9-9 mostly on riggers , Short leads??.... i guess what ever works for you .

I always use short leads of 5-10 ft. behind the cannon ball. I have fished Lake O since the early 70s and learned early on that short leads for salmon increased catches significantly. Salmon are on the search for one thing only, schools of bait fish and schools make lots of noise. Unlike walleye Salmon, especially big kings are anything but shy and are super aggressive chasing bait. Your cannonball especially when made more visible with flasher tape attached and or a string of small flashers along with the whine of the cable produces lots of noise which actually attract the salmon much the same as a school of bait. When they come to investigate your lure is in clear view unlike sitting back 50-150 ft. behind the ball well out of the range of where the action is. In fact I have numerous times watched big kings come up on the fish finder and hit the cannonball itself which makes your down rigger bounce like you hit the bottom.

Down riggers where invented on Lake Michigan back in the 60s and those guys have been well ahead of us for a long time on their fish attracting abilities. Shark cannon balls are designed solely with this purpose in mind to imitate a school of bait fish. Highly visible and generating lots of noise they make a big difference especially on those days when things are slow or water clarity is not so good. If you haven't tried this before then give it a shot because I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Good information about this is on their website and here's a diagram of a typical Lake Michigan flasher set-up to mimic a school of bait. Of course they have become much more exotic with their presentations over the years. I would also mention I use the Shark and although not cheap it has the least swing back and tracks better than any ball I've ever used.

http://www.sharkcannonballs.com/product_info.html
CHROME_SHARK_large.jpg
upload_2016-7-2_9-46-8.jpeg

Thankyou everyone for all the helpfull tips.....hopefully I can get out again soon.

Debaiting on going tomorrow alone in my 14' tinny (not a fan of offshore rigging alone in small boat) might have to head to erie for perch instead??

Back