Lake Nipissing limit Cut In Half 2013

You have got to be kidding me. Wow, I really dont't know what else to say atm, this is going to make us think long and hard about our yearly spring trips to Nipissing and if it is worth the drive. Even though the catch is only part of the trip, we do enjoy a couple fish dinner and bringing home enough for the family. At the limit of 4, it's a small fry for my family, now at 2, I won't be able to bring enough home to have a dinner.

Not good, not good at all.

Plenty of pike in that lake & just as good tasting (to me & my family) as walleye.
We have family up there so we go every summer a couple of times and always get a nice pike dinner or two....lots of fun throwing the spinner baits for 'em

Bill

I want to live forever...so far so good

Lake Nipissing is an interesting story. Lots of folks like to blame the gill nets and I am sure that isn't helping but according to many biologists the problem goes a lot deeper.

The story goes something like this. Apparently a few years back there was a development plan to build a golf course adjacent to a major spawning bed. The MNR scientists recommended against the development as nothing puts more chemical into the water than a golf course. The government of the day (Mike Harris I think) over-ruled their own ministry recommendation and the golf course was built. Not too surprisingly the recruitment of walleye has been very poor in the subsequent years, particularly from this one major spawning area.

I know it is fashionable to blame the commercial guys and it is even easier to go there when the guys are native but when the government won't listen to their own biologists we have a bigger problem.

When the gill nets are targeting the slot size fish which we have to release because they are the breeders, you can figure which group is doing most of the damage.

Dick Saarloos

quote:
Originally posted by dickie

When the gill nets are targeting the slot size fish which we have to release because they are the breeders, you can figure which group is doing most of the damage.

Dick Saarloos

You might be surprised by the answer Dick but there is no doubt that both hurt. Fewer spawners and no success spawning is a terrible combination. Over time it has basically removed an entire distinct population of walleye from the lake.

quote:
Originally posted by zxninja

You have got to be kidding me. Wow, I really dont't know what else to say atm, this is going to make us think long and hard about our yearly spring trips to Nipissing and if it is worth the drive. Even though the catch is only part of the trip, we do enjoy a couple fish dinner and bringing home enough for the family. At the limit of 4, it's a small fry for my family, now at 2, I won't be able to bring enough home to have a dinner.

Not good, not good at all.

the walleye population is hurting and the MNR is doing what is best for the fish and have lowered the limit after a steady decline and i'm almost positive they'll raise limits again when the population rebounds. we should be thanking the MNR for trying to improve the fishery, not looking at them like enemies. even though i eat fish once a week and i'll never bother anyone for keeping their limit of any species, i really dislike the attitude from some people who think a meal in their belly is more important than improving the fishery.

long gone are the days of fishing for a certain species until they're nearly wiped out and then wondering why there's no fish left. ;)

you had to bring the native in to this ..whyquote:
Originally posted by fishstalker

I'm sure the Native fisherman have to abide by these new limits too- NOT!

They sure don't, but have to admit it does hurt the population. I know some near the golden lake area with 100+ lbs in the freezer. That's only one person. There is no way that spearing them in a spawning run can't hurt the population.........just sayin

quote:
Originally posted by bubzee

They sure don't, but have to admit it does hurt the population. I know some near the golden lake area with 100+ lbs in the freezer. That's only one person. There is no way that spearing them in a spawning run can't hurt the population.........just sayin

My thoughts exactly. Everyone should have the same rules/regulations, or at least "some" rules/regulations to follow.

Cant be too easy to sustain the Nipissing fishery when so many fish are netted/speared every year.

DSCF3054.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks