Knock offs

perch420

Wondering what the heck I'm doing wrong. I seem to be having a lot and I mean a lot of knock offs and absolutely nothing there. I send the ball down to depth crank it up as tight as possible and then they smack it and gone????

Any ideas what my problem could be?? Obviously it's gotta be something I'm doing?

I'm no expert but hook sharpness comes to mind. I know guys who think their hooks are sharp (not saying you're one of them) but they are not the sharpest hooks out there. Whatever species I'm targeting, I try to identify the best, sharpest hooks I can find (even the best hooks aren't that expensive) for the specific application and use them. I mean sticky sharp. My favorite for cranks and spoons is the Gamakatsu EWG treble.

I kinda thought the same last time I was out and sharpened hooks on alot of my lures, but tonight I was running brand new worm harnesses, the rods would pop and nothing there. I'm wondering if my rod holders themselves have something to do with it. They are the spring loaded ones on big jon riggers.

Could be your releases what type are you using they could be worn out try setting your line in deeper in them or tightening them down.

Brand new scotty releases. The big ones with the lanyard that clips on to rigger cable. I'm putting the line in as deep as possible as well???

I read this on another forum….

"Are you using an "oily" type of scent on your lures?

One of my fishing buddies does and he then gets it all over the monofilament where it goes in the release and it doesn't hold well. I have to keep reminding him to wipe his hands before he puts the line in the release.

I fish braided line and was having a lot of releases in rough water when I was using a release with about 6 inches of cable from the ball to the clip. I switched to a release with about a 12 inch distance from the ball to the clip. Problem went away."

HTH

Going to try that next time. As well I just realized there are 2 settings on these damn clips. Mite be most of my prob rite there.

I've been setting them as deep as possible.
Fairly new to downrigging but I thought u were supposed to crank the rods down as far as physically possible? ?

Thanks for the tips everyone

10lb is very thin... if in doubt of your releases... half hitch a elastic around your line and put it in the release... Or you could switch to blacks releases... I use 20lb on my riggers and bury them in the release and sometimes still get false releases... (black and yellow Scotties) Especially when fleas are present...

Offshore releases have been the norm for deck aids.. black for rainbows & salmon and white for walleye..like the other reply said move up to 20lb... I use berkley 20lb big game in moss green...when your out trollin on chop you can't cock them as tight or they will end up releasing..in choppy conditions cock it down and then pull out a couple rips of line from your reel to give you some tolerence and blow back...thats the best way to run your sliders...come on 420 get with it...you knew all that...

Last edited:
No mick I didn't know all that. I honestly thought 20 lb test on a rigger rod was way overkill but I guess I was wrong. I'm not new to trolling but like I said I am new to downrigging. They have been on my boat for a total of about 5-6 trips out. I honestly appreciate your tips. Someday I'll be pro too!!

@perch420 ,I think mick is refering to the release you described. I use the one with the lanyard to stack lines on my riggers and a fixed one about 8" above my ball.

Hey 420 I have penn, walker and cannon riggers on my 2 boats and they all have worked well...I have known about the big john spring rod holders for years but have personally not experienced fishin with them..I would get an opinion on that specific detail with your big john spring rod holders and cockin your rods with them...

I still think your gettin a release from a tightly cocked rod out on choppy water...It happens....I was sayin to pull some line out after you cocked it to give you some tolerance on a bounce in the chop..you also need to set and back your drag off a bit and give that some tolerance too...

Need to ask puddlejumper.. he will know...lol

Last edited:
Back