Kipawa "Blue" Walleye

quackers

Spent a week in July at Grindstone Lake. All the walleye we caught had this blue pigment in their slime and on their skin/fins. They also had relatively bigger looking eyes then the Erie strain for the size of the fish. Lots of under slot Fish, 40-50 a day. Enough in the slot for a few fish fry's. Biggest were in the 5-6lb range and went back in. Cool fishery.

IMG_20180722_1457532.jpg. IMG_20180722_1457581.jpgIMG_20180722_1457532~3.jpg. IMG_20180722_1052446.jpg. IMG_20180722_2018068.jpg. 20180724_210537.jpg

"DR. WAYNE SCHAEFER
BLUE WALLEYE STUDY UPDATE1
March 1, 2008

1. Two factors contribute to the blue color in walleye:
a. lack of yellow pigment in the skin of the fish.
b. presence of blue pigment in the skin mucous of the fish.

2. We have identified the blue pigment in the mucous as a new protein never before described in the literature. We have named the pigment "Sandercyanin". Sander is the genus name for walleye and cyanin means blue in Greek.

3. Sandercyanin consists of a large lipocalin protein which carries "biliverdin". Biliverdin is a normal excretory product secreted in urine of all vertebrate animals. It forms from the breakdown of "heme", a blood protein.

4. Sandercyanin occurs in the mucous of walleye in many lake and river systems in Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba. It is equally present in both blue and yellow walleye in any given lake or river system.

5. Sandercyanin appears to be moving south across the Canadian-U.S. boarder into upper Minnesota and upper Michigan.

6. Sandercyanin does not harm the health or taste of the fish.

7. Sandercyanin is produced seasonally, with more in summer than winter. It is produced only on the dorsal (upper) part of the fish, above the lateral line.

8. One factor that causes the breakdown of heme to biliverdin is exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun. The earth is normally protected from UV radiation by ozone in the upper atmosphere. In recent years ozone "holes" have been noted over both the north and south poles as a result of CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons) entering the atmosphere. In some species of animals, biliverdin is known to act as a photo-protectant.

9. It is possible that walleye in Canada use, as a sun screen, the very chemical which forms in their blood from exposure to too much sun. This conclusion is still only speculation but it is our best hypothesis."

This was the best explanation I could find.... The water was deeply tannin stained and dark, and the fish were relatively deep, 15-50'. I would assume they're a different strain than the "yellow" walleye

In northern Ontario, there is a species called sauger which look like a blue walleye.

Yes but they aren't blue, rather black. And they don't get very big at all! Unless they cross with walleye, resulting in the hybrid, sterile and fearsome SAUGEYE which can grow to immense sizes (just like any sterile hybrid).

there were blue walleye in Erie not sure what happened to them

Even before my time there were tons of blue walleye in Lake Erie. My father-in-law told me how he used to catch all kinds of them off the pier in Port Stanley and according to him they were even better eating than the yellow were. One of the local commercial guys said they still catch the rare one in the nets but are very rare. Not sure why they disappeared on Erie.

1534252812140.png

Yes but they aren't blue, rather black. And they don't get very big at all! Unless they cross with walleye, resulting in the hybrid, sterile and fearsome SAUGEYE which can grow to immense sizes (just like any sterile hybrid).

My father used to work @ Queenston Hydro, they would fish every day @ lunch
We would eat Blue Walleye 3-4x / week but they always threw back the Yellow
They were certainly a special fish, which lead me to a life of Catching & cleaning

Glad to hear you had great trip Quakers. Were heading up to Kipiwa Sept 1st. Staying at Alwaki Lodge. Hopefully we have the same results.
Did you happen to catch any lakers ?
Thanks in advance,
Moo

Only 1 small laker, Took the down riggers and dipseys. Spent likely a total of about 8 hrs trolling and tried vertical jigging on fish that we marked but no takers. You taking your boat or using Lodge boats? I can give you a few waypoints on Grindstone but they'd be 10 miles from Alwaki. Leaches were what was recommended to us. Fished them on a slip float with 1/8oz jig or drop shotted. A few bigger fish came on bottom bouncers, deep 25-40' with a worm harness. The only laker was caught on a worm harness passing through about 60 fow.

Glad to hear you had great trip Quakers. Were heading up to Kipiwa Sept 1st. Staying at Alwaki Lodge. Hopefully we have the same results.
Thanks in advance,
Moo

Lakers close early on Kipawa so I'd check that.

Just south of Alwaki is a narrow pass, it's the best spot on the lake for walleye earlier in the season. September may not produce in that spot.

Let us know how you do. Kipawa is a beautiful spot.

Thanks in advance,
Moo[/QUOTE
Enjoy your trip to Kipawa. Brian and Tina at Alwaki will advise you as to where fishing is best. I have been going to Alwaki for over 10 years now...first week in June. The fishing is great and you really don't need to go far from the lodge to catch both walleye and lake trout. I talked to someone who goes to Alwaki a few times each year and apparently last Sept. was spectacular fishing. In June, the fish are shallow...8-30 feet along shoreline and shoals and personally I use a slip sinker with a single hook and leech. Always joke about all the tackle we take when in reality could just take hooks and sinkers. Have heard the leeches can be hard to come by later in the summer but that worms do the trick. Trolling with a worm harness over and along shoals (some to the west..mid lake that I have heard produce well in Sept.). Laker season closes I believe Sept. 16 but Brian can confirm that.
There is a slot size now on Kipawa but no problem catching fish within that slot to eat and bring home if you wish. Limit is 6 eyes.
We do troll some for lake trout just to the north east of the Island that Alwaki is on and catch fish. Spoons and body baits. I take my lead core. Many fish for lakers to the west near Corbeau Island...lots of deep water there. You pass right by Corbeau Island on your way to Alwaki...you can see Eric Lindros camp right on the point.
Anyways..enjoy your stay...wish I was going again in Sept !

I’ve read that the war effort in ww1 and ww2 was the cause of the blue walleye collapse. I’ve caught 3 similar in horwood lake in timmins. My father used to work for the fisheries in picton way back, he seems to think that limestone in the water can cause the tips of the fins to have that blue tinge. Not sure how credible that is but another theory to the mix. The “blue” walleye I think I caught were very much a darker overall colour. I asked the outfitter about it and he was convinced there was 2 species.

The blue hew ...is definitely in the slime

Haven't seen many...but years ago a friend of mine caught an 8lb Blue Walleye and wanted to get it mounted .
We rapped it in a wet towel ...like recommended by taxidermist then bagged and froze it......when it thawed ...it looked like a different fish....without any blue on it... the towel was covered with blue slim though....

Only 1 small laker, Took the down riggers and dipseys. Spent likely a total of about 8 hrs trolling and tried vertical jigging on fish that we marked but no takers. You taking your boat or using Lodge boats? I can give you a few waypoints on Grindstone but they'd be 10 miles from Alwaki. Leaches were what was recommended to us. Fished them on a slip float with 1/8oz jig or drop shotted. A few bigger fish came on bottom bouncers, deep 25-40' with a worm harness. The only laker was caught on a worm harness passing through about 60 fow.
Thanks Quackers for the info. We"ll be bringing our own boats but probably won't be travelling down that far, especially if the fishing is decent closer to the camp. Sounds like leeches are the ticket, again thanks for the info and can't wait to go.

Thanks John PK. With all the positive feedback I've been hearing about Kipiwa I'm starting to really get excited. Couple questions if you don't mind:
Can you purchase leeches at the camp or better off beforehand ?
Do they sell Quebec fishing licences at the camp ?
Thanks in advance,
Moo

Thanks John PK. With all the positive feedback I've been hearing about Kipiwa I'm starting to really get excited. Couple questions if you don't mind:
Thanks in advance,
Moo

Moocow, you can buy your bait and licences at the launch in Kipawa from Corina. I catch almost all my walleye there on worms either under a slip bobber or with a simple bead and hook. I fish Lac Hunter so not far from where you'll be staying.

Thanks in advance,
Moo
Depending on how much time you have upon arrival in Temiskaming...After you cross the bridge into Quebec there is an Esso Station...beer is not quite..but very close to half price what it is in Ontario....they have 60 packs at a good price. I believe around 70.00 for cans. When you continue up hwy 101...you come to a 4 way stop where you turn right to go to Kipawa (Chemin Kipawa Rd)..just around that corner to the left is Pro Nature...a tackle shop that sell fishing licenses and also bait. For years we got our leeches from Corina at Kipawa Bait but Pro Nature were less per pound and since our group by 5 pounds we got them there this past June. As I mentioned, I have heard sometimes leeches are harder to come by late summer. One guy in our group takes a flat of worms along also...cheaper here in southwest Ontario then up there, as long as you can keep them cool on the way up. You can also buy your license at Pro Nature or from Brian at Alwaki. We usually get them at Pro Nature while we are there to get leeches. Not sure if you are taking your own boat or renting from Alwaki but gas is less expensive in North Bay, which is where we fill up boats and vehicles. Oh...also if looking for breakfast or lunch in Temiskaming...just down the road from Pro Nature is a very nice restaurant.

If your going to buy leeches consider getting a leech tote or a leech bag per boat. Frabill makes a couple of options and they have them at Cabelas in Barrie. Much easier to handle the leeches to move them around and change the water. They kept well in a small cooler in the bag for the week, just put in a frozen water bottle as needed to keep cold and change the water every couple days.
Also the store beside Pronature also has beer and licenses and the IGA in Temiscaming had a good selection of beer as well. The leeches at Kipawa Bait were $60/lb. Worms were $10 for a container of 40.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks