Off Topic Keeping track # of fish caught in a season

Conversation came up at work ....about how many fish a serious angler catches in a year.

A few clam ..... should / could catch 1000+ fish in a calendar year.

Although I might have had one or 2 seasons that , might of been possible ( had a 10 day northern trip , with couple 100 + days) and did fair number ice fish outings that year.

For the most part I would say last year I got less than 200 and most better years would still be under 500.

I think for shits and giggles ....I will try and keep an accurate count .

Don't think it will happen ....by my own bucket list challenge would be 1000 fish , at least 10 different species , and 10 fish in the ontario master angler size chart.... just for a challenge

Does anyone keep track
@Puddle Jumper I have personally never kept track on how many fish I have caught in a year,and I likely never will. It just adds pressure on a day on a river or lake,(for me at least anyways),were I am fishing,for my day’s on the water are for pure enjoyment,fish or no fish caught.But I must add,that my first fish of this new year was a Thames River walleye back on January 14,2021,(released),85D1D7A8-7B98-4812-808E-7F1D2D3358C0.jpeg and just recently on a ice fishing trip with @Jumbojim I caught my first perch38FB071D-DD91-484E-A325-DE2B8648CAD8.jpeg of this year on long point bay. I will be ice fishing on long point bay a few more times,and I will need to count the perch that I keep,just in case I go over my possession limit,to avoid a fine later,in case I am being checked by a Conservation Officer. Tight Lines to All!! 🎣🐟👍😎

Heard back from FH, generic, but if no one suggested it before, but they now have the idea or exporting historical data for spreadsheets etc.

Sounds like work. I did catch a pickerel on every lure in my box one night working off shore on the Mr Neil . Might count if I'm close to 50 perch.

I started with the MNR diary program a long time ago (decades) and then started using calendars. It was more to track the salmon and rainbow runs at certain places I used to plunk and bottom bounce. Glad I kept it up because the memory only remembers the good days and looking back I can remember a few of the fish and what the weather was like. Kinda cool to see how nuts I once was, driving 50kmh from Tillsonburg to Pt Ryerse in freezing rain because I knew fish would be moving and nobody else would be stupid enough to be in my favourite drift. And I was right. It was a banner morning even though I had to stay crouched on the edge ice and 20 feet back from the edge and cast so I wouldn't spook the school in a very small 3 foot deep run.

if I remember correctly we got a t-shirt for the diaries 1 year.
I guess i should have wrote that down too.
I agree with you Stick, its easy to remember the good days.

If your historical data is showing that you don’t catch fish when it’s 22 and sunny with a SW wind on the second weekend of September
You going to stay home or are you going fishing?

@Ticker same here!
was just curious how serious some people take their data collection.

I don’t keep track of what I catch other then what’s in the cooler or in the freezer!
I definitely take photos all the time which are all time and date stamped and you can somewhat tell the weather based on the photos!

I use my catch history (written or memory) to figure out the why.

If I struggle, why? If my success is off the charts, why?

If I can get a small understanding of the extremes, maybe I'll end up more consistent overall.

Meh? Well it reads good. LOL

If your historical data is showing that you don’t catch fish when it’s 22 and sunny with a SW wind on the second weekend of September
You going to stay home or are you going fishing?
By that time of the year, most likely I'll be staying home. Last year that's right about when I called it a season and went back into 'hibernation" and even if I hadn't, I would have been there by the 30th of September anyways. Last year started late for me because of Covid closures keeping me from going until June, but even though it started late, I still called it a season with a freezer full in mid September, a couple weeks earlier than I thought I would.

I keep track to compare one year to the next, but more so because I have a counter I use so that I know how many I have in my basket. I found that when the action is hot, I tended to lose count and I'd rather be out there knowing how many I have in my basket so that IF the CO shows up I can not only tell him, I can show him the count without guessing, and then IF he wants to pull'em all out and count them he can. I've found that since I started doing that, so far at least, they haven't wanted to take'em out and count them to ensure what I say I have is accurate and then I know how many I have towards my possession limits when I get home and I can keep track of that as I either eat them or as I sometimes do, gave some away to neighbors or family.

Last edited:
I use my catch history (written or memory) to figure out the why.

If I struggle, why? If my success is off the charts, why?

If I can get a small understanding of the extremes, maybe I'll end up more consistent overall.

Meh? Well it reads good. LOL
If I struggle, I ask why ? If I'm successful I'm just happy 😊
So far only been a couple outings I struggled and still can't figure out , why ? But on the upside those days reports were mostly the same , so I blamed the fish , oh wait maybe it was my wife made woodoo doll 🤔 😅

The other reason I like to keep track is I like to know how many times I got out, and how many times I ended up getting skunked when I did get out. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Since I started keeping track in 2017, I've been able to get out 87 times and only got skunked 8 times over that 4 year period. I haven't been out yet this year, too early and I haven't renewed my license yet

When I get skunked it just means I don't have to clean'em, and if I don't have to clean'em because they didn't cooperate, that means I don't have to deal with the carcasses until garbage day.

Conversation came up at work ....about how many fish a serious angler catches in a year.

Although I might have had one or 2 seasons that , might of been possible ( had a 10 day northern trip , with couple 100 + days) and did fair number ice fish outings that year.

For the most part I would say last year I got less than 200 and most better years would still be under 500.

Don't think it will happen ....by my own bucket list challenge would be 1000 fish , at least 10 different species , and 10 fish in the ontario master angler size chart.... just for a challenge

Does anyone keep track
Perch smelt sturgeon
Depends on target species I think.
best year I had was 30,000 lbs of Caplin

Does anyone keep track
My son tracked his last year . 1847 fish .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks