Jigging walley long point shoal.

shorefisher

Hey guys. I have not fished lake erie walleyes before and lookin for some tips or advice with your experiences. I have a 12 ft zodiac outfitted with a 20 hp merc. I feel like I would like to try jigging walleyes off the long point shoal. Has anyone had luck with this?

If you decide to get out and try please monitor the wind and weather forecast a 12 ft boat is a little on the small side for Lake Erie. It can be done but you have to pick your days wisely.

A 12’ anything is being a little optimistic regardless of what type of experience you have out there .If you can, go out with someone who has some”history“ with that part of the lake. If you go out there and things go bad, you are a long way from home.

I will echo the 'be careful' warnings. But the decision is yours! A 12' zodiac with a 20hp is not a typical fishing boat but it is definitely a very buoyant and quick little craft. It will handle definitely handle a typical day of erie weather just fine with a skilled operater. The biggest worry is having a trustworthy, reliable motor. Offshore is not a place to be dealing with any potential problems. A GPS, weather app on a phone and 100% reliable communication is a must.

Not sure what area your referring to as Longpoint Shoal? Nanticoke shoal isnt too bad of a run for a smaller boat later on in the year. Jigging can work but may not be the most productive option. A couple dipsey divers or even long lining crank baits with or without an extra weight/diver will put fish in the boat more consistently. The Walleye fishing in that area tends to heat up a little later as it warms rather slowly.

Josh

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks