Jigging for Lake Erie Walleye

moocow

With the walleye / rainbow fishing upon us has anyone ever successfully tried techniques other than trolling lead core, down rigging etc. I agree the above is tried and proven to be great for taken large numbers but the thrill of the fight is a bit lack lustre. Imagine hooking into an Erie walleye jigging a minnow or drifting a worm harness vs dragging up on a lead core set up. Just curious as to anyone else's quality over quantity techniques ?

we've had some limited success drifting and jigging/erie deares a number of years ago and
your right the fight is great...I've seen and heard about quite a few being caught this year
by perchers

well heres my theory on jigging for walleye lol bofore the gobie came along most walleye were taking up high off the bottom when there in search for bait but now there stuffed with gobies and there on the bottom so jigging for them might not be a bad Idea at all in fact I got 2 so far this year jigging for jumbo perch right on the bottom and one large catfish that took the rod right off my hands now that was wake up call lol so I have all my quinte jigging stuff in my boat just waiting for a nice calm day that's the hard part lol

jigging will work but it is hard to find structure to fish with jigs on are part of the lake ,kind of like a fish bowl ,that's why trolling works as you are covering lots of water ,we drag erie dearys and pop them off the rigger as soon as we see fish on the screen and just letting the bait fall .the fish will grab it right away if it looks to be falling naturally...,so yes you could jig from a drifting boat and catch fish it just may take a while till you are on top of the fish ,never know were thy will be at given time . now if you could find rock piles or stumps and ledges you would know were to drop your jig,,,.Dutch

we've had some limited success drifting and jigging/erie deares a number of years ago and
your right the fight is great...I've seen and heard about quite a few being caught this year
by perchers
Many years ago when my brother had his charter boat(early 90's) we used to go out on off days and use eerie dearies. We had a pretty good success rate doing that. Keep in mind that the schools of walleye were so thick they looked like an oil slick from the air back then !!! You could do well later in the year, july to august, using this method. I have not done this in years but you have me thinking now .......

We nabbed a few when they were hugging bottom. Put on a bottom bouncer banana weight with a Mepps Black Fury I think and dragged it drifting and bouncing bottom. Not technically jigging but close. Used the downrigger rods and reels. Can you imagine the battle with a medium action spinning outfit?

Have been going to leamington the past couple of years in mid july with an American friend of mine....off point pelee 30 or so feet of water maybe a couple of miles off shore dragging worm harnesses with the minn kota and using cookies or bottom bouncers - it has been a lot of fun...punched my first ever full walleye ticket last year on nice smaller eaters...not jigging per se but using medium action spinning gear is a hoot.

Hey Cam, I will show you a tech. that I was shown a bunch of years ago, using open faced reels, light tackle, a hoot on the hook up but trolling will put more into the cooler.

Blastr

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks