IT’S NEAR TIME FOR DELICIOUS WALLEYE WINGS

Get Hooked

Several years ago (well over 25) I read an article in OOD Magazine on how to cut out and cooking "The Pecks" (now called Walleye Wings and also known as Chin & Fins, Bat Wings and Rabbit Ears). I had a copy of that article and showed it to numerous other Walleye Fishermen over the years to get others eating this delicious part of the fish as I have been doing since reading that article. It’s a shame how much of The Pecks (Walleye Wings) go to waste each year when fishermen could be enjoying this part along with the Cheeks.

I learned from that article to make the “V” cut, which includes both Ventral Fins as shown in these two YouTube Videos.

Walleye Fillet, Walleye Cheek and Wings. Maximum Limit Fishing

How to fillet a Walleye and get all the meat! Cheeks, wings and fillets, Plus leave rib cage behind

Recently, I came across another Video where the whole Breast Plate is cut out, which I will be doing this upcoming Lake Erie Walleye Season.

Walleye wings breast meat - YouTube
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPPIr_P_674
Apr 15, 2015 - Uploaded by Jerrell48
Dont toss out the Walleye breast bone meat called Walleye wings. Its easy to remove and has lots of prime meat.

Here is a Link to an excellent Article done by Blogger Mark Schram who is an avid tournament fisherman from Wisconsin. In his Article “WALLEYE WINGS” it has a bit of History, Cooking Methods and more along with a Picture of Deep Fried Walleye Wings.
Walleye Wings - My Fishing Partner
http://myfishingpartner.com/walleye-wings/
Jul 16, 2014 - For years, anglers have known about the delicacy of walleye cheeks, but are now learning of the new rage of walleye wings. What? Walleyes

I do hope more Walleye fishermen will be enjoying their Wings this upcoming Walleye season.

Last edited:
Don't forget! If you are deep frying your wings then be sure to eat the actual fins, not just the pad of meat. They have a resemblance to crispy potato chips.

For those who have never heard of them, it is the " V " under the gill plate that is normally tossed out with the head after you fillet the fish. The bones are larger and somewhat flat and easy to pull out as you eat them. The meat is very sweet, and makes an awesome appetizer. You can bread em, fry em, grill em, then coat in BBQ sauce.

I have been walleye fishing for about 30 years and have only heard of the cheeks as a yummy treat. One learns something everyday, today is no exception. I am wondering about the scales on this portion of the fish? Edible too?

A bit off topic but if you have access to a pigs head once it has been roasted on the spit the cheeks are the best portion and most tender of the pork. We fight over the Pig cheeks.

We call them 'candy' back where I come from....everyone loves the fillets but the fight is over the cheeks and in particular the walleye wings....enjoy!!

We used to fight over the "Cheeks and Tongues" off the cod fish where I grew up back east. I will certainly try these when i get a chance. thanks for the information.

WITH PERMISSION TO POST: Article done by Blogger Mark Schram who is an avid tournament fisherman from Wisconsin

Delicious Walleye Wings

(Also known as The Chin & Fins, Bat Wings, Rabbit Ears or The Pecks)

For years, anglers have known about the delicacy of walleye cheeks, but are now learning of the new rage of walleye wings. What? Walleyes have wings?

The walleye wings which has lots of prime meat are the ventral fins which are located in front of the gills. When cleaning the fish, the wings are usually discarded with the head as waste. By making a “V” cut, which includes both ventral fins within the cut, a chunk of meat will be available for consumption.

The wings are cooked with fins on in your favorite fish breading or batter, often served as appetizers. Once complete, the chunk of meat will resemble a chicken wing. These wings can be consumed with the breading or with a dipping sauce (BBQ or Buffalo Sauce) for extra flair. By cooking the ventral fins in oil, the fins can also be eaten, and have a resemblance to crispy potato chips. They are also excellent on the grill.

The meat is very similar to the highly sought after walleye cheeks. Walleye cheeks are often referred to as the filet mignon of the walleye. The cheek meat has a firmer consistency than the main filet. The walleye wings are a larger version of the cheek, with excellent taste and texture. However, the wings are not boneless, so eat with caution.

The walleye wing rage seems to have roots in the Canadian wilderness, but also has been reported in the Lake Erie region. Over the past several years it has slowly taken root in other areas, but remains a little known secret to date.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks