Off Topic ISO downrigger help

If you are concerned about gunnel width etc for mounting, it may not be ideal but… would you be able to put a downrigger board across the width of the boat and mount it into the rear most blind pocket?

Attachments

• IMG_0653.png
    IMG_0653.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
I didn’t want to run a down rigger board across the back of the boat since my boat has the swivel seat in the back corner and I didn’t feel like sitting against a 2x6.
I have a rear cushion on the back part of the boat and my jack plate hydraulic lines are ran below the rear gunnel so I was unable to buy the gimble mounts. I supposed I could have moved them in front of the blind pocket but then I’d have a metal tube blocking a section of the shelf and it would be a pain sliding our guns in.
So I ended up making an aluminum frame that goes into the blind pockets that holds everything. I’ve order some stainless levelling feet that I’ll be adding in the corners for a little extra strength when I’m running the down riggers.

Attachments

• IMG_1484.png
    IMG_1484.png
    509.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1485.png
    IMG_1485.png
    918.7 KB · Views: 40
I didn’t want to run a down rigger board across the back of the boat since my boat has the swivel seat in the back corner and I didn’t feel like sitting against a 2x6.
I have a rear cushion on the back part of the boat and my jack plate hydraulic lines are ran below the rear gunnel so I was unable to buy the gimble mounts. I supposed I could have moved them in front of the blind pocket but then I’d have a metal tube blocking a section of the shelf and it would be a pain sliding our guns in.
So I ended up making an aluminum frame that goes into the blind pockets that holds everything. I’ve order some stainless levelling feet that I’ll be adding in the corners for a little extra strength when I’m running the down riggers.
The solution involves a few more cans of the solution found in the bottom center of the 2nd picture and a few well thought out brain farts as well as experimenting and you'll have it all figured out @Brandon S. Reinforcing the arm on the Big Jon could definitely reduce some sag on the main arm if you are comfortable with the strength of your main mounting brackets though

Ah…I see. The additional images are much better. That’s a decent set up given the layout, nicely done. I think some manner of support under the section that runs above the transom (especially in the corners as noted) will help significantly. Is there any way to reduce the height of your downrigger mounts? That may serve to reduce the leverage and the twist applied to the track system under load.

If I bought a different style of swivel mount I may be able to get the down riggers down lower to the tracks. I’ve cut the original big jon swivel mounts down around 1.5”. The rigger base is approximately 4” above the cannon track. Once the leveling feet arrive and I get it installed I’m gonna head out and trail everything. If I’m still not happy with it then back to the drawing board I go.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks