Is it that time of the summer yet

TonyV

Hi all , I am a new member but I have been reading the posts for years. I am a commuter from north of Guelph and normally head for the bay and follow the boats. I know bass are in the bay and perch are at Hastings although I haven't made it there yet. What I haven't been able to nail down is when the walleye start and where? Again I have read they start from the west and move east, anytime from now until late August. Just thought I would ask since the bass and perch are nice but I have yet to net an Erie gold.
Thanks

Welcome to 6-8

There are reports of people starting too catch walleye out of Burwell, Bruce & stanley... but the majority of boats are targeting the perch still, so really not that many people chasing eyes yet. But there are fish too be caught , going to work for them.....but bonus is very little boat traffic or competition.

Lake Ontario is producing some good salmon #'s lately ....allthough allot of shakers(1/2-2lb), people are catching fish 20lb + plus lots of rainbows in the 3-5 lb range.
might be worth while triing lake O in next week or two...before the fish move too deeper water and by then hopefully the walleye #'s will increase @ erie.

Pick a nice day and Zip down to hastings catch a box full of perch a troll back to Burwell maybe you'll get a few bonus eyes (y):happy:

The migrating big Walleye do migrate from West to East, but that is in the spring. They make the turn at Niagara from the US side and head back west. They seem to be around Port Colbourne and are heading west now. The big 444 tourney out of Colbourne last weekend was won with a total of over 75 pounds in 2 days for 8 fish. Those are big females for sure. So if you want to get on them now head out of Port Maitland or Pt. Colbourne.

The migrating big Walleye do migrate from West to East, but that is in the spring. They make the turn at Niagara from the US side and head back west. They seem to be around Port Colbourne and are heading west now. The big 444 tourney out of Colbourne last weekend was won with a total of over 75 pounds in 2 days for 8 fish. Those are big females for sure. So if you want to get on them now head out of Port Maitland or Pt. Colbourne.

The Western Basin fish and Eastern Basin fish do not really mix a whole lot from what I understand. They each have their own migration patterns and neither group really crosses the Clear Creek Ridge between Long Point and Erie PA in any great numbers (I'm sure there is the odd exception to this rule though). The Western Basin Fish are still heading East and from what I gather, they are just showing up around Port Glasgow & Port Bruce. As WTP points out the US spawning Eastern Basin fish tend to migrate Eastward along the US side after spawning and then turn back West along the Canadian side towards Port Maitland. They are just starting to show around Nanticoke but not in great numbers just yet. The migration pattern of the Grand River school is not really clear yet. There are also resident fish all over the lake who just hang out and don't join the parade for whatever reason.

There is a very large study underway of the migration patterns in both the Western & Eastern Basins but there aren't a whole lot of results or conclusions yet. It is kind of interesting how they are following the fish migration though. They have radio transmitters on a large number of fish and have set up a series of radio receiver 'gates' across the lakes which record how many fish cross and where.

Here are links to the GLATOS home page, a video of the study methods, the Western basin study , & Eastern basin study pages:

http://data.glos.us/glatos/explore

http://data.glos.us/glatos/projects/13

http://data.glos.us/glatos/projects/32

Last edited:
Speaking of radio collars, got a pik bout 3 weeks ago with orange band through fin & device inserted inside body! Also got a metal band on jaw from another pik previously!

Thanks for all the info guys, I will be heading to Hastings on Tuesday and try what Teddy69 suggested, looks like the winds will be calm.

I am going to say the fish are in the Elbow -- the fishing nets being set down on Thursday would agree with me.

The Western Basin fish and Eastern Basin fish do not really mix a whole lot from what I understand. They each have their own migration patterns and neither group really crosses the Clear Creek Ridge between Long Point and Erie PA in any great numbers (I'm sure there is the odd exception to this rule though). The Western Basin Fish are still heading East and from what I gather, they are just showing up around Port Glasgow & Port Bruce. As WTP points out the US spawning Eastern Basin fish tend to migrate Eastward along the US side after spawning and then turn back West along the Canadian side towards Port Maitland. They are just starting to show around Nanticoke but not in great numbers just yet. The migration pattern of the Grand River school is not really clear yet. There are also resident fish all over the lake who just hang out and don't join the parade for whatever reason.

There is a very large study underway of the migration patterns in both the Western & Eastern Basins but there aren't a whole lot of results or conclusions yet. It is kind of interesting how they are following the fish migration though. They have radio transmitters on a large number of fish and have set up a series of radio receiver 'gates' across the lakes which record how many fish cross and where.

Here are links to the GLATOS home page, a video of the study methods, the Western basin study , & Eastern basin study pages:

http://data.glos.us/glatos/explore

http://data.glos.us/glatos/projects/13

http://data.glos.us/glatos/projects/32

That is quite the informative post. It basically says what I did in 1000 or so more words. They start west, work there way east than make their turn and head west again. These are always locals but these are not the 10 pounders. We are heading out from Nanticoke in the AM and are going to troll east in 55 to 65 feet of H2O. When we get to my place we are going to head into the shoreline and hammer the Smallies. If we don't I'll throw the anchor out and walk to the cottage and make a few death dogs on the Q. We'll let you all know how we made out.

Drifting tubes rule in front of my our place for Bass. They don't stand a chance, yea right. It might be KFC for dinner.

Reactions: jrr
That is quite the informative post. It basically says what I did in 1000 or so more words. They start west, work there way east than make their turn and head west again. These are always locals but these are not the 10 pounders. We are heading out from Nanticoke in the AM and are going to troll east in 55 to 65 feet of H2O.

Sorry to help try and clarify something that wasn't really clear and add some science based factual information. It won't happen again.

G.Mech..........Don't say that it was a very interesting read.... don't let it get under your skin... Red.. P.S. keep up the good work....

Sorry to help try and clarify something that wasn't really clear and add some science based factual information. It won't happen again.

You took it the wrong way and I was referring to Mick's famous lengthy prose lately but quoted yours. It was tongue in check. Like I say "if I say something stupid I am probably trying to be funny, or, I'm saying something stupid", in this case it was both. Sorry @G.Mech, you too @mick. Maybe too much Canada Day celebrations.

You took it the wrong way and I was referring to Mick's famous lengthy prose lately but quoted yours. It was tongue in check. Like I say "if I say something stupid I am probably trying to be funny, or, I'm saying something stupid", in this case it was both. Sorry @G.Mech, you too @mick. Maybe too much Canada Day celebrations.

No worries. Let's go fishing....

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks