Off Topic Identify Local Snake??

10-7

Greetings, just curious as to what type of snake this is? I believe it could be a Grey Ratsnake, but obviously not certain. My son and I came across it on the trail near the fish hatchery in Turkey Point. The grey ratsnake is endangered, but can be spotted in the area.

Thank you20200520_180923.jpeg

Thanks so much for clarifying Jacobus. Hate to run into a mature one. Apparently they can get quite large.

Cheers

Hate snakes!
buddy took me out on a mosquito infested lake in Louisiana. Saw enough snakes that day to last me the rest of my life.

I hate to repeat myself but that is a hog- nosed snake. If you don’t like snakes these will make you soil your pants . They put on quite a show , hissing and spitting and their head goes flat like a cobra. Completely harmless and when pushed to far will coil up on their back and play dead. They come in lots of patterns ,and colours , makes them harder to l.d.

Definitely not a hog-nosed snake @morgan here is a description & a photo of a hog-nosed snake,View attachment 23251 and I almost stepped on a hog-nosed snake last May,2019 near the Thames River while I was fishing for walleye’s.Here are some of the photo’s from last May of a hog-nosed snake
that I saw.View attachment 23257View attachment 23259View attachment 23260 ??
Well if I was there sure as ? I would not be taking pictures and you would see me running . Lol
Not a fan of creatures with out legs on ground or more than four legs
I can just picture looking at the thing and saying " ah look at it , it's so cool looking "
Next sentence screaming " its biting my face get it off get it off ! "

You are correct Red Hering that is definetly a hog nosed snake . I live on a sand farm and have seen lots of these snakes , they used to lay eggs in my greenhouse and I had lots of the little buggers crawling around ( cute at that stage ) Like I said they come in all kinds of colours and patterns . When we were kids we called them puff adders. The only real distinct thing they have is the shape of there head with the up turned nose ( lunkerhunters picture shows that very well ) They are a short fat snake where as a Black Rat is long , I have only seen two in my life both at Longpoint .

Well if I was there sure as ? I would not be taking pictures and you would see me running . Lol
Not a fan of creatures with out legs on ground or more than four legs
I can just picture looking at the thing and saying " ah look at it , it's so cool looking "
Next sentence screaming " its biting my face get it off get it off ! "
I took a few video’s @Ticker of the hog-nosed snake before it “slithered” away & it was my first hog-nosed snake that I ever saw & it is good to know that a endangered species like this snake in Ontario could be perhaps be making a comeback. ??

You are correct Red Hering that is definetly a hog nosed snake . I live on a sand farm and have seen lots of these snakes , they used to lay eggs in my greenhouse and I had lots of the little buggers crawling around ( cute at that stage ) Like I said they come in all kinds of colours and patterns . When we were kids we called them puff adders. The only real distinct thing they have is the shape of there head with the up turned nose ( lunkerhunters picture shows that very well ) They are a short fat snake where as a Black Rat is long , I have only seen two in my life both at Longpoint .
I am no expert on snakes by any means @morgan but because it looked so unique & my first snake that I have ever seen like that,I therefore looked into it more to find out what kind of snake that was.Komoka Provincial Park happened to have a billboard 7EDAF871-ACD5-44D7-85A8-D01A95BC1ECD.jpeg there at the entrance of their park while I was hiking there,which at that time helped me to identify this particular snake.??

Attachments

• 419AB8FA-7A71-4FBE-ABC9-CF6CE046413F.jpeg
    419AB8FA-7A71-4FBE-ABC9-CF6CE046413F.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 10
I hate to repeat myself but that is a hog- nosed snake. If you don’t like snakes these will make you soil your pants . They put on quite a show , hissing and spitting and their head goes flat like a cobra. Completely harmless and when pushed to far will coil up on their back and play dead. They come in lots of patterns ,and colours , makes them harder to l.d.
I'm pretty sure if you run over them they will coil up and play dead too.

Back