Ice season opener report

icefisherman

Well it is this time of the year again....white fish have been asking for me so I obliged and went to check them out. They didn't disappoint...what a kick start of the season....9/16 final score...a bit rusty but by next time should increase the icing ratio ;-)
Good old Meegs lures did the trick as always...Amazing how fast I got surrounded by others....can't figure out how people find out so quickly I am catching fish and with no hesitation pile up on top of me....waooo....
We had dog with us today as seen on some of the pictures but some people noses worked better than the dog's ha ha ha.
About 5" of good ice under us. Some spots by the shore was 2" though...so not ready for machines yet.
Anyhow, season started on the right foot...fresh whities for dinner...how could one ask for more.
Few shots for your viewing pleasure:
20150112_104004_resized_zps2745ef20.jpg

20150112_113132_resized_zpsfb0dcb56.jpg

20150112_122447_resized_zpsebdc3916.jpg

20150112_115005_resized_zpsd8206ab5.jpg

20150112_115007_resized_zps1ba6be15.jpg

20150112_114142_resized_zps77cd691d.jpg

20150112_122508_resized_zps08d09a08.jpg

20150112_121502_resized_zps0e0a8ff7.jpg

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Last edited:
I heard that you were out there today. Well done emil. Glad to see the new lure was working. You better have save some whities for james and I on Saturday. Lol

awesome report buddy cant wait to get out there this weekend

They are there Craig,
And should be more ice made by the weekend. As always feel free to email or PM me if you need any info. Even better....we still need to get out together one of those times .

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Guys,

email this guy....James Meeger (hense they are called Meegs). Very good friend of mine and huge expert on fishing lake Simcoe (white fish and lakers). He makes them himself. He used to sell to number of stores in the past. Right now you can buy them from Bait Bucket in Barrie or directly from James.
Just to let you know he is selling them by hundreds last week or so. He'll be selling bunch of them this weekend as well. You may want to put your order in ASAP to make sure you get them.
Write to him here:

croakerking@hotmail.com

Tell him I sent you....ha ha ha ;-)
Good luck.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Well Done !!! love the lakers n whities YUMMM do you smoke them or bake ? And when is my invite for din din coming LOL
jealous here (shameless smiley) good eats and again WELL DONE nice fishing (y)

I won a whole bag of those Meegs at the Turney for Tyler a couple of years ago. The ones I got looked lumpy and not as nicely finished as some of the competitors you can buy at CT. My son and I went out after whities and they were pounding my Meegs and totally ignoring Juniors nice shinny offerings. After I landed my third whitie in 15 minutes, he took off his Made in China special and hooked up one of the Meegs.... and was into fish. I think the difference was that the Meegs are a little front heavy so they mimic a bottom feeding minnow better. All I know is that the whities sure were NOT into Chinese food that day! :LOL: I'm a Meegs believer too. Just tap the bottom until the line goes slack... and set the hook. Oh ya... and don't forget to use about a six foot florocarbon leader. Makes a big difference also.
There ain't nothing better than white fish done in beer batter Fish Crisp.:love:

Last edited:
Yep...everything that dyeing said....front heavy is a key...also move the nut (always tie directly to the lure, don't use swivel) to the back and this also helps the nose to go down which ....yep imitate bottom forging minnow...whities can't resist it.To date there have been Meegs v1.0 - curved, longer, skinier body....Meegs v2.0 curved, fatter shorter body with more side futures on it....and just came out Meegs v3.0 with straight skinnier body. Everyone has their favorite....I love the v1.0 and still use it...get tons of whities on v2.0 as well. Yet to spend more time testing v3.0.

They all work and will get you white fish on the table....in fact v 2.0 just got me 14 more whities today (9 landed, 4 brought home). Just finished cleaning them. Report to follow.

Cheers,
Ice Fisherman

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks