Off Topic Ice fishing Sault ste marie

Crummybun

Just got into the Sue and wondering where to go ice fishing and what to target.

Anyone have any general knowledge they can share on the area?

Haven't had time to hit a bait shop yet as I'm working. I'm sure they could direct me bur thought I would ask this awesome resource first. Thanks Ben

I grew up there. Spent a lot time in the winter off Harmony beach and Haviland Bay for perch, lake trout, rainbow. That is a bit of a walk to good fishing and its a huge area. All of the little lakes have fish but some are better than others… and my knowledge wouldn’t help you much as it changes all the time.

I don’t know what the ice is like but Echo Lake — behind Echo Bay about 30 min east — is somewhere my friends still go for easy access and good fishing. I think just about everything is in there but mostly pike/perch/walleye. If you go towards St Joes, there are walleye around Pine Island but the ice can be sketchy with current. Just see where other tents might be. I don’t know if anyone fishes Lake George (have to watch the US border runs through the middle of it) but usually guys are just off Echo Bay and walleye are in there. Easy access. Not a crazy walk. Perch, pike. Etc are everywhere. Monster pike in Lake George.

I think the gas station up at hwy 17 and 4th line still has its fishing store… those guys know lots. I haven’t been back in a few years.

Thanks @jrr , yeah I'm a walker and it will be after the night shift so easy access is nice. Just looking to have some fun maybe keep 1 for the pan if it happens. Nice Temps at the moment hope it holds for a bit. That's enough info to start looking. Thanks Ben

Thanks @jrr , yeah I'm a walker and it will be after the night shift so easy access is nice. Just looking to have some fun maybe keep 1 for the pan if it happens. Nice Temps at the moment hope it holds for a bit. That's enough info to start looking. Thanks Ben
Although this is a great resource for info

But I would consider hiring a guide or a hard-core local for a day.

Reactions: jrr
Although this is a great resource for info

But I would consider hiring a guide or a hard-core local for a day.
That is also good advice and they are likely some good ones and it might help you understand the ice. This guy is good: http://www.tylerdunnguiding.ca/ — the St Mary‘s river ice fishing trip is likely Lake George. The Google has it as north of hwy 17 and that little pond but its the big lake in the St Mary‘s river In Echo Bay.

Also, the Trading Post is where I was talking about. They can’t point you to guides, good fishing, etc. Also have bait ;)

I'll check out the trading post. Talked with some locals last night and they suggested a few spots for trout. I'll be working everyday so a charter won't be I'm the cards this time around leaving for timmins Saturday. Just trying to get a little ice time in before I'm back, then hopefully some trips to Long Point.

I'll check out the trading post. Talked with some locals last night and they suggested a few spots for trout. I'll be working everyday so a charter won't be I'm the cards this time around leaving for timmins Saturday. Just trying to get a little ice time in before I'm back, then hopefully some trips to Long Point.
Good luck! Honestly, there are fish everywhere up there.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks