Ice Conditions at Long Point Bay - 2013

Hello Guys,

There was not much to report yesterday afternoon other than to say that the ice was still melting slowly with the higher temperature.

However last night the temperature rose to 10C and with the southwest wind nearly all of the ice is gone this morning.

I can still see some ice extending out from the area near Blind 17 and that small bay with Blind 38 and Blind 40 still has some ice ... everywhere else appears clear of ice.

However the temperature drops to -5C tonight.

Jerome

PS Stomp ... I am doing these reports on my word pad and then I "cut and paste" them.

Hello Guys,

This will be a short report.

The entire inner bay appears to be free of ice with the exception of some very limited, thin, broken ice remaining within the Port Rowan harbour.

The ice around Blind 17 and that small bay with Blind 38 and Blind 40 appears to be free of ice as well.

Current temperature is now -0.5C.

Good luck with tomorrow.

Jerome

I was out yeserday, I fear for the last time with the look of this weeks forecast. We broke quite a bit of ice on the way to the blind and it was making ice all day yesterday and I imagine all night as well. Every half hour or so we had to break ice off the decoys. We had a good day , did not see a lot of birds but the ones we did where very cooperative. If you are driving a long way I would suggest checking with the office to see conditions and open hours before you come down. I am afaid from this point on opportunities will be very limited.

We had a great hour mid-day. We went out about 7:30am and by 11:30 had one mallard and had shot at another. We decided to hang in until 1:00. Between noon and 1:00 we got 5 more mallards a black and a pintail. This caused us to change our plan to quit so we hung in until 3:00 but it slowed up quite a bit. We had a couple of chances but no more birds due to frozen guns, frozen fingers and too many clothes. All in all 8 nice big birds and a good way to end.

Hello Guys,

The temperature dropped overnight Friday and consequently there was some thin ice on Saturday morning with a temperature of -6C. I saw a few brave guys out there in the west end of the marsh.

This morning the temperature was -9C and there was ice over most of the inner bay ... saw several eagles out on the ice.

Big Creek is open all the way out to the inner bay and there are still a few areas of open water holding birds.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

Yesterday:

Most of the inner bay had open water especially along the north shore with some ice along the shoreline (10 to 50 meters) however the Port Rowan Harbour was basically open with just some thin broken ice reforming in a few areas.

Most of the western portion of the LPWMU had some ice but the areas around Blind 31 and Blind 33 were partially open and Blind 34 was wide open.

Today:

Most of the inner bay is currently covered by ice but there are still a few large areas of open water.

Big Creek and the Big Creek launch are still wide open with open water extending into the inner bay and a small "channel" extending further towards the marinas. However the areas around Blind 31, Blind 33 and Blind 34 are now all covered with ice.

The temperature is now -6C with snow on the way.

Jerome

PS Yes ... birds (Tundra Swans, Canada Geese, various species of ducks and some Bald Eagles) are still present.

Hello Guys,

No news is good news.

As I crossed the bridge over Big Creek on the way home from the gym yesterday afternoon most of Big Creek had frozen over west of the bridge ... no big deal since the blinds in the BCWMA are now closed as per the notice that was posted on this forum. However most of Big Creek was still open east of the bridge including the boat launch area and there was still some open water left in the inner bay beyond the mouth of Big Creek.

With last night temperature dropping to where it did (this morning it was -12C at 0600 hours) most of Big Creek is now frozen over ... there are a few small pockets of open water near the mouth of Big Creek and beyond that have been kept open by some hardy ducks and geese.

Looks pretty miserable out there!

Jerome

The lake is also freezing quickly. There is about 50 yds. of shore ice and more is piling up constantly.

Hello Guys,

I meant to post this yesterday with the snow storm in full force.

I noticed on Friday afternoon that Big Creek was pretty well iced up including the boat launch. I also talked to my neighbour earlier today and he said that they had problems getting their boats (that were docked there) out of the water on Friday with all the ice.

I am still seeing a few birds and I still hear the Sandhill Cranes over in the BCWMA marsh.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

There is not much happening here.

The snow has been melting pretty quickly the last few days but the inner bay is still covered with ice.

I will let you know when I can see open water again.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

Yesterday Big Creek and the Big Creek boat launch had mainly open water with the recent mild weather.

This morning Big Creek was open out to the inner bay with some significant open water beyond the mouth of Big Creek. There was also a large area of open water just north of Big Creek but there was about 50 meters of ice between the two areas. No birds were seen in either location. A few (10) Tundra Swans flew over yesterday afternoon ... that was all.

This afternoon the ice is reforming as the temperature is dropping again tonight.

Have a Merry Christmas tomorrow.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

Yesterday afternoon (Christmas Day) Big Creek (both sides of the bridge), Big Creek boat launch and Big Creek out to the inner bay was still open.

This morning there is snow covered ice over that portion of Big Creek that was open out to the inner bay on Christmas Day. I only saw one eagle today.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

Still cold down here at -8C for most of today.

However Big Creek and the Big Creek boat launch is still wide open and free of ice but the open water does extend into the inner bay so no open water hunting is possible.

I heard Sandhill Cranes flying over my house this morning so I quickly looked out the back window and saw eleven (11) Sandhill Cranes heading over towards the small bay with Blind 41 and Blind 43.

This afternoon I saw plenty of Canada Geese heading from the inner bay over Highway 59 towards the corn fields to the west.

I heard from my neighbour that the field shooting has been very good so far.

All the very best in the New Year ... take care.

Jerome

PS This will be my last update as the ice is probably here to stay now.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks