Ice Conditions at Long Point Bay - 2013

Tundra Swan

Hello Guys,

I will be providing a brief update on the ice conditions at Long Point Bay again this year.

I drive along the causeway and through Port Rowan on my way to the gym in the morning and then return in the early afternoon on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I usually go to the gym on Saturday afternoons as well. Consequently I have an opportunity to check out the ice conditions along the causeway, Big Creek, Port Rowan Marina and the nearby area.

I also have a good view of the entire west end of the LPWMU from my backyard so I can usually ascertain the ice conditions from blind 30 to blind 40 without even going outside.

Saturday morning was the first morning that I saw any ice along my seawall extending out from a few feet to about twenty feet but it was very thin and had melted by mid morning. However later in the day (1745 hours) I drove home from the gym in a small blizzard as the temperature was quickly falling.

Last night (Saturday to Sunday) the temperature dropped to about -15C (forecast) and this morning at 0720 hours the temperature was -10C outside my house. There was ice extending way out towards the mouth of Big Creek ... a good 150 to 200 yards out. The ice extended all the way over towards Sandboy Marina but the channel area way well open. The outside blinds (30, 31, 33, 34, 37) had open water.

The sun is now out and the ice is melting as I type this report but I will try to post an update later this afternoon.

All the best.

Jerome

PS I saw an awesome rig parked in Port Rowan last night on the way home. It consisted of a monster truck, a well camo large Lund boat with a big Mercury outboard and topped off with a matching camo layout boat on top ... quite the sight to see!

PS I know that some waterfowlers come from PA to hunt the unit so you can contact me by e-mail (thebuddyboy@hotmail.com).

That would be awesome Jerome! Those of us that don't live in the area would very much appreciate ice condition updates.

Hello Guys,

Not much ice melted during Sunday even though the sun was out for most of the day as the temperature did not get better than -5C by mid afternoon.

The amount of ice on Monday morning was worse closing off much of the channel leading to the marinas. However Big Creek and the Big Creek boat launch were wide open and you could still get to some of the outside blinds/points as well as the north shore area. One brave soul was even able to get into part of B Zone as there was an open passage way permitting access into a small area.

This morning is pretty much like yesterday so you should be able to get to Blinds 30, 31, 33 and maybe 34 tomorrow. I cannot see out to Blind 17 but I would suspect that it would probably be like Blind 31. By the way I will be using the term "blind" to mean both "blind" and "point".

I heard that it will remain cold for the balance of the week.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

A lot of the ice that was choking the channel leading towards the marinas yesterday has melted today.

Consequently the outside blinds (30, 31, 33, 34, 37) all have open water again.

The Port Rowan marina still has a thin layer of broken ice out to the light house before you reach open water.

The north shore is wide open.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

This morning the temperature was -8C with a forecast of -13C tonight ... that is cold!

There was still open water at Big Creek, Big Creel boat launch, the head of the inner bay with a wide channel of open water leading towards the marinas ... so Blinds 33 and 34 had open water.

However the temperature is now -2C and that wide channel of open water leading towards the marinas has now frozen over.

Furthermore there appears to be an ever expanding area of thin ice forming over part of the inner bay beyond the LPWMU so things do not look good for tomorrow.

The ducks are still here and plenty of Tundra Swans too.

Jerome

We shot 12 on the grand yesterday. My buddy tried it today and the launch was ice jammed. They broke through but the flowing ice was too much to deal with.

I was out frum the gov't ramp yest....(Thurs).....we broke up as much as 3" of 1ce in sum spots....at 1 point we looked back & saw a goby came up with broken ice & was flopping on hard water,,as we watched it a seagull came by & dispose of the flopping critter..... 2day I believe the inner bay will b nearly froze in..... I hung my boat up in the boathouse & am calling it a season 4 the inner bay... Now gona get the ice auger running & prepare 4 the hard water fishing season...

Weathernet is showing +10 and rain Thursday we may get another kick at it. Don't give up quite yet.

by the look at all the web cams the bay looks frozen. ??:(..are there still lots of birds i heard on Mon or Tues that the majority left :(

Hello Guys,

All is good now ... do not know what happened.

The problem started while I was on the LPWA "waterfowl forum". When I typed (tap the keys) the letters would not be typed unless I held each key down for a bit but if I held the key down too long then two or three of the same letter would be typed. I would then have to back up and delete the extra letters that were typed. The same thing happened to me when I tried going on the Hunt Ontario "waterfowl forum" however I was fine while typing on my "word pad" part of my computer. I then tried my "hotmail" account and all was fine there as well.

Any suggestions as to what happened?

Jerome

PS Big Dave ... yes ... I thought that something was sticking or "freezing up" on me. However why only on the LPWA and Hunt Ontario "waterfowl forums" and not on my "word pad" or "hotmail" account?

Hello Guys,

The temperature on Friday morning was -12C and the inner bay was frozen over except for Big Creek, Big Creek boat launch and a small area near the mouth of Big Creek extending into the inner bay. A few birds were still around and a few eagles were out on the ice watching them.

That warm spell came in late Friday afternoon and overnight driving the temperature back up ... way up!

The temperature on Saturday morning (0600 hours) was -2C and hunters were out in what little water was open by about 0830 hours. The ice started to break up a bit by noon as the temperature was up to 2C by about 1000 hours and there was a lot more open water. The temperature reached 3C early in the afternoon and when I went to the gym at 1600 hours there was a large area of open water over towards the north shore.

The temperature this morning (0600 hours) was still at 3C but the entire LPWMU is still frozen up from what I can see.

I just took a look outside (0810) and there is a layout boat with a tender out just beyond the mouth of Big Creek in the public area.

If the temperature gets higher today as forecasted it should not take long to break the remaining ice up.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

Any suggestions as to what happened?

It might be the web browser you're using Jerome. Internet Explorer and the new 6-8 forum don't always work the best together. If you're using Internet Explorer, ensure it's upgraded to the latest version supported by your version of Windows (I'm presently running Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 and it all is working for me). If you are using a Surface tablet from Microsoft, there seem to be more issues like this.

Hello Stomp,

Well it is starting to do it again now with this post but not as bad as before.

Thanks ... I have to get an updated browser (been getting a notice to update recently).

I have Windows Vista.

Jerome

Tough to say the cause Jerome.Vista is getting a little old now. Might be a virus or malware too.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks