I have a real (reel) question.

Off Duty

I am looking at buying some new line counter reels for my brand new St. Croix trolling rods ;) and looked at some options at a local shop. My question is this:

The Eyecon series rods are a really nice light rod and I am considering a 20 size reel to keep it well balanced. Now the shop suggets 30s for line capacity, but with braid this really should not be an issue?? The 20 size reel I am considering holds 290/14 (0.35), 230/18 (0.40), 210/20 (0.42). That should give me more line capacity than I should ever need with braid? (I am asking because honestly i do not know)

I would appreciate any opinions on 20 vice 30 or any other advice you may have.

Thanks in advance.

From my experience you are completely right. Since braided line has a thinner diameter it wont really make a difference :0. If im wrong somehow feel free to correct me.

The 20 size you are considering are like more than adequate for capacity. I assume you are planning on dragging dipsi,s which are not the kindest way to treat a reel. The drag is cranked down tight and you need to run the clicker on the way out. Bigger is usually a little tougher. You say you are using some light rods. Will they handle the dipsi?

Sorry, I should have been a little more specific: The rods are ECT106MHM2, so a medium/heavy with moderate action and 15-30lb line weight. They should be able to handle the work load from what I have read and researched. They feel light weight compared to most rods is what I was trying to say, and the rod diamater itself is certainly a bit smaller than the bulky trolling/dipsy rods that I have seen before.

I ran 15's under the same theory as you. A lot of cranking with slow progress. I went to a bigger real ran the same amount of braid but used backing line. Retrieval is a lot easy and quicker.

The 20s have a 5.1.1 ratio, 30s 4.02.01 would it make a large difference on retrieval?

Oh and it states line retrieve 23 and 24 respectively, what does that mean? If someone doesnt mind explaining that to a newb.

The 20s have a 5.1.1 ratio, 30s 4.02.01 would it make a large difference on retrieval?

Oh and it states line retrieve 23 and 24 respectively, what does that mean? If someone doesnt mind explaining that to a newb.

It means 23 & 24 inches of line is taken up onto the spool with each crank of the handle on that particular reel. But there is more to reel speed than just the gear ratio, such as spool size. Leftys Buoy is correct in the sense that with the added backing the spool size now becomes bigger therefore each crank retrieves more line making it faster. I hope that makes sense.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks