How to prep outboard motor

demonseed

Hey Guys
A couple years ago our 9.9 johnson was stalling and wouldn't start well. I took it to a local guy (buckhorn) at the time and he had it running sweet in no time. I believe he de gunked it somehow.. he said it was common and it worked great. Then I thought he may have fogged it? Can someone explain to me the best way to clean out he engine to make sure its running and starting great. I would like to do it myself....

I would start by adding Sea Foam additive to the gas as directed, better yet dump the old gas and start fresh and add Sea Foam. Are you adding a phase separation additive such as 2 plus 4 to the gas every fill up? Bad old gas and Ethanol is a killer to 2 stroke engines. For a small 9.9 I run an Ethanol free fuel as a few bucks more for a small tank is cheap insurance. I am going to run Ethanol free fuel in my 115 HP from now on too. New plugs and a new fuel filter every season is a must as well.

All good advice WTP. if you are storing the motor . But if none of that was done last fall ,the best sure fire way is to pull the carb and clean it with a good carb cleaner to remove all the varnished up ports . Then make sure you use a good fuel stabilizer next year before you put it to sleep.

The motor is stored indoors. In order to test and run what's that hose thing called? Also can I just use a trash can and stick prop in can of water? Thanks for the good tips

The motor is stored indoors. In order to test and run what's that hose thing called? Also can I just use a trash can and stick prop in can of water? Thanks for the good tips
I bought a used plastic barrel $15 cut the top off.....i can either clamp motor too it or slide it under the motor attached too the boat....

Just purchase an inexpensive flush muff and attach the garden hose to it then you can safely run the outboard motor in your driveway. I would first try spraying carb cleaner directly into the carb repeatedly while engine is running as this may clean up the varnish without removing the carb for cleaning. You should treat your gas before storage with gas stabilizer to avoid this problem if you don't already.

upload_2016-5-15_20-4-37.png

Get rid of the old gas and start with new gas every Spring. Mix gas and oil carefully and be sure you follow the recommended ratio.

Don't put it in gear. Just get a cheap set of "muffs" like Wave Runner shows from CTC and do it right.

I use a large rubbermaid tote full of water to run my engine (in nutral) in the driveway. Muffs work, but I am anal about making sure my engine is getting 100% of the water it needs.

Removing the carb & cleaning it out is the only way to make sure you got all of last years gas/oil gunk out.

Local garage\gas station owner this way, OFTEN, gives me a seminar on gas types, ethanol vrs non. He sell's non ethanol added gas, and swears it's a must for outboards and all small engines. I am no mechanic, but as the weekly seminar goes, the varnish build up and corrosive-ness of ethanol added gas ruins smaller sized engines.

Just purchase an inexpensive flush muff and attach the garden hose to it then you can safely run the outboard motor in your driveway. I would first try spraying carb cleaner directly into the carb repeatedly while engine is running as this may clean up the varnish without removing the carb for cleaning. You should treat your gas before storage with gas stabilizer to avoid this problem if you don't already.

View attachment 3341

I'll second this approach. Use carb cleaner direct into the carb...lots. If it was cleaned last year, it should be OK now.

I have some plastic drums for sale . You can easily cut them to the height required for your outboard in my opinion it's the best way to run a motor on land 20 bucks each

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks