how far ?

jamesnelson

hey guy just wondering how long of a walk it is from either side to fishing grounds
no sled or atv here just 2 feet and a heart beat
just trying to see if it is work trying to get my 3 yr old to walk it with me or not

From st Williams side it a good 30 min plus u will have to park at the top of the hill so add ten min. I was thinking of walking with my lad and I was gonna pull him on a sled just a thought

Last edited:
great thanks G-man i dont mind the walk by myself but when you add a young one it can be a real pain
tying him to the sled might be a good idea though

Out of St Williams to get out by the outfitters is about a 2.5 mile walk I would recommend getting ice cleats I went out Sunday and forgot I had them it is a hard walk with out them

live to fish,how did you make out Fishing yesterday out of St Williams? Thank-You in Advance. :)

Back in the early seventies my dad would set me on an old wooden box on a toboggan with a 20 foot rope made for ice fishing and drag me a crossed the bay from St Williams to The Crack. The instructions where if something bad happened I was to roll off and keep rolling away from danger if he broke through. He even faked it a couple times to see what I'd do. I can still picture him yelling for me to stop rolling "For Christ Sakes, I was only testing you!" Wasn't too long after that he found a slightly froze over snow covered "spud cut" hole with 1 footstep. I friggin jumped and started rolling for dear life. I stopped hearing "Has stady ava low!" With those words that I still don't know the meaning of I knew he was ok, wet and pissed right off.

Please, Don't Ever Tie Anyone down to get out on the bay. I grew up with a healthy respect for all ice spending time on area creeks and the bay with my dad. Fishing with him was always a learning experience that would prove useful in every day life to this day.

Pay for a hut if you want to take your kids out and teach them what ice fishing is all about. We rarely used one back in the day but I can still remember sitting on the back end of 1 of Freddy Howe's cutters catching a ride while everyone else was huddled up front behind the windbreak trying to keep warm. Dad explained that we where a lot safer at the back if the ski doo broke through and we had to jump. The ice may be thick but gas wells, springs and soft spots from former hut locations ARE EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS!

Just to be clear I never intended to write that I was going to tie my son to a sled I posted the message from my iPhone and I wrote pull and it auto corrected it to tie

Stick.... you are telling your age talking about Fred Howe... was Bud MacDonald on the ski doo... or the Jeep.. Red..

No disrespect to anyone on the board including @G-man and @jamesnelson but I've seen too many strange things in this life not to put in my 2 cents worth. I just wanted to share the knowledge and healthy fear and respect passed down to me.

Auto correct is a pain in the butt and leads to many misinterpretations. Thankfully spell check works most of the time or no one would be able to understand my 2 fingered typing.:)

Stick.... you are telling your age talking about Fred Howe... was Bud MacDonald on the ski doo... or the Jeep.. Red..
LMAO Red! The five O isn't for a couple weeks but reading everyone's ice adventures has got the grey matter stirring! Think I'm going to ask for a hut rental for the big day to get away from the bathroom reno for a day and maybe relive some memories with a couple of friends.

I remember 1 jeep ride with Freddy a lonnnnnngggggg time ago. Once after Sunday school Tillsonburg radio reported people stranded on shifting ice late in the season due to high winds and mom lost her s#!t. A frantic drive to St Williams in the old green Plymouth ended at Freddy's front door. She insisted Freddy take us out to find the Son of a B!^#h. The ice looked fine to me as Freddy headed south with us in the old Jeep towards dads old Chev parked a mile or so off shore. Man was dad ever pissed that mom had dragged me and Freddy out there to look for him while he was enjoying 1 of many productive days out on the bay.

Turns out the news report was from the Pelee area and not Long Point. She swore that next time she'd leave him on the bay to freeze to death. His reply..............GOOD!!!

Stick ....your DAD sounds just like mine ROFLMFAO very cool reading that brought back many MANY memories
Good on ya !!! thank you :D

i would never strap the kid to the sled either just a figure of speech
i was more wondering about the walk cause mt son has the attention span of a nat at 3 yrs old and it is going to take me longer to drive there and walk out then it will be worth it to take him with me
i'll just take him to some local ponds around ingersoll instead to try our luck and save the trip out on the bay for a trip by myself

Thank-You for your time & for the information,live to fish.I will be going out later this week,& I will report about my Day on the Ice,Good or Bad. Tight Lines!! :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks