Hotlips Lures

Joel

Do you need to run them on anything to get them to depth or can you flatline them to get down 20 to 30 fow

i have a friend that flatlines them with very good success. Here is a quote that i found on one site.

"Flatline trolling depths can reach 22, 30 and 38 feet with the 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 ounce Hot Lips Trollers respectively."

Just be careful as they can make very dangerous weapons launching out of the water as they load up with there large lip.

We have caught fish sending them (Hot Lips) back 200 to 220 feet back in past years but have switched to the Tail dancers in recent years...they seem to do better - same program though. In my boat I add a snap weight as the day goes by because the fish are deeper....I've used up to a 3 oz weight before.
I fish with a friend who uses TDs on his leadcore and they kick a** - run fewer spoons these days as the body baits produce and don't catch the same number of junkfish.
Blue & silver hot lips is an all time favourite but Tail dancers in the perch /gold/orange belly on LC have caught more for us in the past 2-3 years than everything else combined I'd say. Same colour in Hot Lips has worked too. Could be a case of having more confidence in certain baits so they tend to spend more time out in the water but you just have to find what works for you and try to mix in new things also.

There is no right answer here. It all depends on line size and line type. It can vary the same bait by 10 or more feet. Hot lips work well out there as do tail dancers ,reef runners,wally divers, live target smelt and perch, redfins and husky jerks. There is a precision trolling app and book that has tested almost every plug know to man . Check it out for the proper info.

Just remember with any deep diver there comes a point when too much line out for any given size bill actually can produce enough drag to change the line angle at the lure to make it rise in the water column and behave erratically. Line diameters make a big difference on dive angles as well. If I remember right, Hot Lips is a good dancer.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks