hook size for trout

angler

Reading these posts makes me want to go drown some dew worms this weekend.
However , I must be slowing down because I am getting a lot more deep hook sets than ever before.
It is sort of an academic question because I will be leaving the creek fish alone pretty soon ,partly because I think they get very stressed in the summer.
The question is should I use very thin hooks and leave them in the fish or larger hooks hoping the hook will stay up in their mouth. I generally use pretty large hooks for this very reason.
Also a guide in Florida said he was using special hooks which dissolve very quickly. Seems like a load to me unless the salt water helps the dissolving. Also the sea fish are larger and stronger.
Any thoughts?

Go barbless and use a small hook disgorger...although if your gut hooking them they might as well go in the frying pan. If your worried that a large percentage of your catch is being harmed then a change in technique could be a wise option too...

Josh

I'm with josh small barbless maybe hold line in your hand so you can feel bite fast to avoid them swallowing your hooks.

Size 8 Raven Sedge fine wire hooks for trout. Handles worms, roe bags and small chunks of skein when needed.

Back