High thrust vs regular 9.9hp kicker

Kbreks

Will be purchasing a kicker for my 19 foot deep v fibreglass boat this month. Boat apparently weighs 3000lbs. Do i need a high thrust, is the benefits of a high thrust over a standard 9.9hp worth the price difference?

I have a 9.8 high thrust Tohatsu on my 20' and love it. You will not get as much speed as you would with a 3 blade prop but for trolling you can run a little higher RPM with the HT prop which I find the motor runs better. Just my 2 cents

I use a Merc Pro Kicker on my 18.5 footer and wouldn't be without it. Electric start, throttle, alternator, power trim & tilt, easy to add steering rod to join them. Spoil yourself. Don't think they are high thrust, come with a funky 4 blade prop.

A high thrust is designed to be used as a kicker whereas the reg. motor is for all speeds in a small boat. IE.a tinny. I recommend the 15hp merc pro-kicker because it has fuel injection and starts much easier than the carburated versions, and its not a lot more $ over the 9.9. The pro kickers also have centreing straps that hold the engine in the centre when tilted all the way up.

A high thrust is designed to be used as a kicker whereas the reg. motor is for all speeds in a small boat. IE.a tinny. I recommend the 15hp merc pro-kicker because it has fuel injection and starts much easier than the carburated versions, and its not a lot more $ over the 9.9. The pro kickers also have centreing straps that hold the engine in the centre when tilted all the way up.
you can also get the fuel injection in the 9.9 Not all shops sell them or even know about them. I know a guy that bought his up in the Kawartha's then I went to the Power Garage one day when I was around there and they said what you just did, 15 hp. So some shops just don't know... or they want you to spend more than you need to.

When it comes to boating/fishing gear and accessories... Buy the best you can afford... Simple...

If it's going to be a dedicated troller I'd recommend the high thrust. Different gears and prop to move a big boat. Bigger prop turning slower. Also recommend remote electric start throttle and tilt. Nice to tie it to the main for steering/ auto pilot.

The simple answer is yes. It is worth the cost difference.
Much better speed and boat control, but something no one mentioned yet, is the battery charger. A high thrust motor will likely have a higher amp charger as it's designed for trolling, and since you are running at higher RPM it will also have the capacity to output more charging amps.
An oversized inverter/charger and higher operating RPM's is a great combination to keep your batteries charged on the water.

Thanks for the input. I will likely be going yamaha as merc is quite a bit more and out of my price range. I do have a steering bar to attach the kicker to my main drive. I will continue to shop around for a high thrust.

Thanks for the input. I will likely be going yamaha as merc is quite a bit more and out of my price range. I do have a steering bar to attach the kicker to my main drive. I will continue to shop around for a high thrust.
1st of all I am a big fan of Yamaha outboards, my new boat will be powered by one, but the only thing I would point out is the Yamaha kicker is not EFI.

Non efi isnt a huge concern to me. Would love a merc pro kicker but 4k is top of budget. yamaha seems to be cheapest as suzuki doesnt offer a high thrust model from what i can see.

"High Thrust" means different things to different manufacturers it seems. To some, the HT is just a 'high thrust' prop which is a 4 blade low pitch prop meant to propel heavy boats at low speed, it does not necessarily include alternators or anything else. A normal 3 blade on a heavy boat just spins out and over-rev's in a lot of cases and the HT prop makes a huge difference. As I recall, Merc makes a standard 9.9, a Command Thrust model (which I think is just lower gear ratio and 4 blade HT prop, and the pro-kicker which includes all the power trim, alternator, and the CT options.

Last edited:
Good to know. So many different options with different manufacturers. Easy to get confused. Seems that most 9.9 have an alternator. Ive only used a short shaft 2 stroke 9.5 kicker and it didnt work well because it was too short so i am having a hard time figuring out what is my best option in my price range. I have called a few places but it ends up just being a sales man trying to blow smoke up my ass and not actually answering questions i have.

Good to know. So many different options with different manufacturers. Easy to get confused. Seems that most 9.9 have an alternator. Ive only used a short shaft 2 stroke 9.5 kicker and it didnt work well because it was too short so i am having a hard time figuring out what is my best option in my price range. I have called a few places but it ends up just being a sales man trying to blow smoke up my ass and not actually answering questions i have.
Just looking at the Merc Lineup, the standard 9.9 has no alternator, the CT has a 6amp and the Pro-kicker has 12 amp. Also, the 9.9 PK is also now EFI instead of carburetor. I have a 2016 9.9 carbureted Pro-Kicker and it was a total pain to start for the first couple of years but it works fine now. Lots of others have had the same experience but I have no clue why. Also, just to offer fair warning, if you choose to go remote controls you're looking at another $2k or so for all the cables, wiring harnesses, control box etc etc etc. It is expensive but a super nice setup.

Last edited:
I do not believe i will be getting remote controls as it would make my driver's area very cluttered. Which is already is.

After pricing everything out it looks like everything will be out of my price range for now. Will have to find a cheap used 4 stroke or just continue trolling with the main drive for now. Thanks for all the information

If 3000lb is the hull weight it may be up to 2000lb more once you add motors, fuel, batteries and people, plus water in the livewells. As far as factoring what you'll need to move the boat well trolling. I have an Evinrude/Tohatsu 9.8hp on an Alumacraft 205, and it does fine for my needs. I just run it straight and use the Ulterra to steer. To add electric start, tilt and controls and a steering link would have added about $6K more to the basic hand steer/throttle Kicker.

If 3000lb is the hull weight it may be up to 2000lb more once you add motors, fuel, batteries and people, plus water in the livewells. As far as factoring what you'll need to move the boat well trolling. I have an Evinrude/Tohatsu 9.8hp on an Alumacraft 205, and it does fine for my needs. I just run it straight and use the Ulterra to steer. To add electric start, tilt and controls and a steering link would have added about $6K more to the basic hand steer/throttle Kicker.
I weighed it at the scales for a more accurate weight. Boat, trailer, motor, batteries etc is 3500lbs. But ive come to the conclusion thay im not willing to spend $5000+ on a kicker and heavier kicker bracket so i will not be purchasing one this year unfortunately.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks