HELP .. I need a kick!

mrozborn

I'm thinking of finally getting a secondary means of propulsion on my fishing boat. It's a 16'8" Lund Explorer SS and I have a 2005 60HP Yamaha on the back. I keep it in good running condition as it's my only means of power on the water. I fish Erie and am often out 10 to 12 miles, most times by myself. I have a VHF radio, cell phone, C-Tow membership, ALWAYS wear my lifejacket with a lanyard attached to the ignition. I ALWAYS check the weather and won't go out above 15 kmh winds. I've turned back many a time because I just didn't like it. I just turned 70 a couple of months ago and now I'm thinking I should have some other motor out there, if not for my peace of mind, others.

Here's where I need some advice / opinions. What to do??

Buy a Kicker, what size? Keeping in mind I want to also use it as a back up motor, how slow do I need to go versus how fast can I go?

1) Buy a bare bones manual outboard with no controls other than connected to the helm steering, shift & throttle from the tiller.

2) Buy a outboard with most controls including steering, Keeping in mind, I'm by myself most times, how difficult is it to control when out fishing? Is it necessary to adjust the speed often? Is it more difficult to find the "sweet speed spot" when using the kicker motor?

OR

3) Buy an electric trolling motor. I've been avoiding this one forever, didn't want the motor hanging off the bow, didn't want the weight of the batteries, didn't want the hassle of charging these batteries (I'm off the grid at my trailer, although I do have solar and can run one 15amp outlet during a sunny day, or run my generator grrr😒). The upside, other than money, is I could get one with "auto pilot", which was on my wish list for the main motor.

IDEAS??

Happy Easter

Mike

I think kicker be way to go being that far out electric mite get you in on a calm day but not likely on a rougher day imo 9.9 be good size i run a bare bones manual kicker with connector bar to main is sometimes a bit trying to get right speed locked in for trolling

9.9 with a servo motor throttle control is what I have. I can troll no problem, only have to get up to start it, pull start, put it in gear. I control the speed with a dial on the dash board. Steering is tied to the main motor.
If necessary, I can make it back to port at 6 - 7 MPH on the kicker. My boat is a 19" fiberglass walleye boat. You will probably get better speed than me.

Not to hijack the thread but Hthm how does that control operate and where did you get it thx

I had an Explorer . I think a 9.9 would be too heavy if you go with a kicker. The Motor notch is too narrow so you'll need a bracket. Unless you get a tie bar you'll be running a tiller in a wheel boat. I had a bow mount 24 volt. I loved it. I mounted the batteries up front under the casting deck. The best part was locking the big motor dead ahead while trolling and using the auto pilot in the electric to steer.

My advice when it comes to any fishing/boating gear... Buy middle of the road to the best you can afford... I have a bare bones 8hp 4 stroke kicker (manual start, trim and throttle on the handle) with a steering arm attached to the main... Only time I wish I had more is when fishing solo or big waves...

If your running your graph and or Livewell a little advise go with the elect start kicker because it charges your main starting battery.
I have a 8hp 4 stroke merc on my 17' works great, only bitch I have, hard to control the speed. I steer with my auto pilot Elect.
But if your out 5 to 10 miles on any rough day your Elect is not going to help you.

had 16.5 with 50 main and 4 hp kicker Yamaha (smallest with charging system back in the day), now have 18.5 90 main and 9.9 pro kicker and am/was happy.

the 16.5 was a manual tiller and I put one f those extension handles on it so I could steer and fish. With the bigger boat it is a bit from the steering wheel to the rod holders. If it was a perfect world I would have a swivel seat and mount another small steering wheel closer to the rod area.

This sounds like the question is more about safety than convenience ? I like to look at things from a worst case scenario and prepare from there. I wouldn't want to go out on big water without some kind of back up and while not cheap I think my life is worth every nickel. So I like the sounds of what HTHM uses and if you have the budget you can go with electric start and hydraulic kicker mount. A standard 9.9 HP (not those models geared for trolling ) should give a very good speed for your type of boat considering it's length and weight and by keeping you at the helm allows you to operate the boat most efficiently ie; weight distribution, access to VHF/GPS, better sightline/field of view. So at 70 years young (Happy belated birthday ! btw) we still want you posting Fishing Reports when you're 80 or 90 years old ?

Hi Mike,

I might have just what you are looking for. I have a basically brand new Honda 9.9 four stroke 30" shaft (2005 - probably less than 50 hours on it). It has electric start, throttle control and I have the control rods to tie to your main.

We can talk if you are interested.
Gary

Hi Mike,

I might have just what you are looking for. I have a basically brand new Honda 9.9 four stroke 30" shaft (2005 - probably less than 50 hours on it). It has electric start, throttle control and I have the control rods to tie to your main.

We can talk if you are interested.
Gary
Gary, I'm very interested in discussing this. I'm not sure how to PM here so why not drop me a line mrozborn@gmail.com

THANKS, everyone for the feedback. It seems that although electric would be handy it may not be reliable enough to get back into port. Old Cut, you're correct, my priority is safety first.
Also, it seems that if I can get remote controls it would be better as some have mentioned speed control is more difficult in rougher water.
Anyone else have an opinion (or a solution) please let me know. I'm open to ideas.

thanks again & happy fishing
mike

you are 70 and out there most of the time alone, I would strongly recommend a kicker with helm control and electric start. and also for your safety when all is good and calm an electric with auto pilot will help you giving the freedom of not having you tied up all day trying to keep the boat on the strait.... start with a kicker first then add the electric ... stay safe and always come back to your port.

you are 70 and out there most of the time alone, I would strongly recommend a kicker with helm control and electric start. and also for your safety when all is good and calm an electric with auto pilot will help you giving the freedom of not having you tied up all day trying to keep the boat on the strait.... start with a kicker first then add the electric ... stay safe and always come back to your port.
With all the extra gear on board I'm gonna need a bigger boat 😎
thanks for the reply

With all the extra gear on board I'm gonna need a bigger boat 😎
thanks for the reply
No worries buddy a 17 foot Lund will handle that all day long... the main thing is to bring you back every time with a smile.. it was sad when we lost a fellow back in September I believe he was 68 yers old very sad

Min 8Hp kicker must be a 2 cylinder for longevity.

Couple of yrs ago my friends 4 stroke 8 hp pushed his 18 1/2' g3 boat with 3 guys in from 16 kms out.

N.p on your boat it would work even better.

I have a 6 hp 2 stroke on my other boat 16 1/2 lund pro v. And it will get the job done also. .
2 cylinder !

I agree with 2 cylinder.

You might not need new if you’re looking for back up. Depends on your budget. Depending on your physical condition you might want to consider a older 2 stroke with CDI in case your electrical goes down, highly unlikely condition but you may be able to use it in other areas or conditions if you do other fishing.

My kicker is a 2 stroke evinrude 4.5, it’s lighter has less parts but I also do my own maintenance and work. I also have an an electric 65lb up front.

I use the kicker on a square back canoe and a 12 foot aluminum up north.

It would be pretty nice to have electric start on both and share the fuel tank though!

I’m sure whatever you decide will be better than nothing. I was caught out once on Lake st Clair in a 14 foot with a 15 alone by tic tac alone. Blown head gasket.

Everyone to come get me on a Sunday was too drunk lol. I paddled my ass to shore somehow after 6 hours. Dragged my boat to shore in waist deep water, walked to get my vehicle at basshaven. Went to Boston pizza in Chatham to have a beer in sloshy shoes.

Have had a kicker or electric since. Can’t go wrong with something over nothing.
😂👍🍺

All the talk about the 2 stroke. Is it for weight savings, fuel efficiency or reliability? have an inboard gas tank so I'm gonna go 4 stroke unless there is a VERY good reason not to.

I got a 9.9 suzuki on mine they said it weighs 89 lbs great little kicker my alumacraft is a 17 ft with a 115 e.tec on it seems to handle it all quite easily

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks