Gun and ammo storage

Magnum 3

Looking for suggestions on keeping guns and ammo dry in storage . I have a fire brick , that they no longer make in one , which can be reused by putting it in the oven on low for a few hours . I use silica packs in my ammo boxes which works . I have a stack on plug in , which although it does keep the cabinet dry , it's only good for a couple weeks and you have to plug it in over night to reuse it . That one I find ok but , constant maintenance . So I bought one of those electric plug in rods to try . Looking for your ideas on what you find works best and last longest . I'm sure there are other ideas that are either economical or may cost a little more but will save time in the end . I Think others would like to here these ideas also . I have the basic locking metal cabinet , sitting off the floor . And if your cabinet is small (say 8 guns or less ) space is probably at a premium . Thanks for your input in advance . Magnum

Mine are done similarly, a good coat of oil wiped onto the metal has done me just fine. Mind you it's in a basement room not too much moisture but very little air flow. I did put my cabinet 1 flat 2x6 up off the bare floor.

Never had any of my guns show any signs of rust and I don't use any of those dryers or silica packs. Ammo stays in the box on the shelf. Some of the cheaper shells show signs of humidity damage on the metal casings (low quality hulls).

But the good stuff is still good.

I basically did the same Tom . 1" plywood sitting on bricks and cabinet on that , screwed into studs . I read something about getting Silica gel at craft stores as they use it to dry flowers . Picked a box of that up today as it can be dried out and reused . Thinking of putting it in clear containers w/ screw on lids and punching holes in the lids . This way I can see when it is changing color . Once again , more maintenance , but at least I'll know when it needs it . Just looking for (probably along with others ) easier ideas with less up keep .

I use a dehumidifier to regulate and reduce humidity, water vapour in the air can cause rust. set-up a temperature & humidity guage in the storage room.
A dehumidifier will reduce humidity when needed, while measuring humidity levels and adjusting the dehumidifier to come on and turn off automatically.
I have my dehumidifier setup in my work shop in the basement protecting my work tools for rust. I have another dehumidifier in an adjoining room where all my outdoor equipment is including gun cabinets. The extra dehumidifier is only used when absoulutely necessary to reduce high levels of moisture vapour in the air. I have experienced damp and sometimes leaky basements with 2 different homes, and dehumidifing for moisture/water vapour in the air is a must.

Like Tom I wipe down my firearms with a cloth soaked with oil and leave a film. Todays firearms are extremely rust resistant. Stainless receivers & barreled rifles, camo coated shotguns...its the blued metal barrels and recievers surfaces that need to be maintained wiping them down with oil, including wooden stocks to avoid cracking due to excessive dryness.

With almost a life time of experience with firearms, I highly reccomend cleaning your firearms promptly after hunting/shooting.

Last quote, Say your out hunting ducks or deer in the drizzley rain in november...once your done and get back to your vehicle, dry off your firearm with a dry cloth/towel before putting it in the case, then I lay mine on my fully opened gun case and give it a spray with WD40 top to bottom both sides..then when I get it home take it out of the case and get at it, Take it a part, moisture finds its way in and get er cleaned.

Cleaning your firearms right after use is key, barrel bores included.. to prevent gunpowder corrosion, especially muzzleloaders..

I hope that helps some of the new shooters reading..take care of them and they will last forever.

Last edited:
I have a pile cabinet with knot holes so it can breath. Keep it in the bedroom. Never have a problem. Like most things if they are sealed too tight they sweat. Old houses didn't need hrv units because they could breath. Old wood cabinets didn't have moisture issues for the same reason. Drill a hole or two in your cabinet it will save your issue.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks