Grand River last week

LAVA

Last Wednesday the 26Th. Abe and I were trolling worm harnesses in the river above the dunnville dam, it was cold and windy and we only lasted 4 hours but we're rewarded with this 6.28 eye ( the biggest we've ever pulled out of the upper River).

Fishnuts my son Abe and I have never caught a crappie in the lower Grand but we have never targeted them as we are usually trolling rapalas. An earlier summer post asked where to find crappie and they were referred to Binbrook conservation area but you can't and MUST NOT eat anything out of there. You might try referencing Valens C.A. or Guelph Lake, hope this helps you out.

Grand River can be a real producer this time of year. Guys in the know will carry two sets of gear.
One for steelhead. The other for walleye.
Fish the runs for steelies with float gear.
Then switch and fish pocket water walleye.

You can usually catch one or the other.
Sometimes both. Just depends on who wants to play.
Rick.

Grand River can be a real producer this time of year. Guys in the know will carry two sets of gear.
One for steelhead. The other for walleye.
Fish the runs for steelies with float gear.
Then switch and fish pocket water walleye.

You can usually catch one or the other.
Sometimes both. Just depends on who wants to play.
Rick.
Dropshot it's nice to hear from another person who recognizes what the Grand can give up especially if you have spent alot of years/time working it and wading in it, I've been walking in it for 45+years and it's a great resource. Good post relating to river techniques for those who want to get out and explore the river.

Reactions: Jay
Up until last year, I lived only five minutes from the Grand for over thirty years.
Spent a lot of time wading many areas from the Caledonia Dam all the way down to the train bridge above Cayuga. A tiny glimpse of the Grand River's potential.
Rick.
View attachment 3987 View attachment 3988 View attachment 3990 View attachment 3991

Wow Rick! Some great catches! I have not spent nearly enough time on the lower Grand for Steelhead. I am usually discouraged by all the crowds at Cal. I prefer my bush stomping to thin the herd. lol

Wow Rick! Some great catches! I have not spent nearly enough time on the lower Grand for Steelhead. I am usually discouraged by all the crowds at Cal. I prefer my bush stomping to thin the herd. lol
Jay I was genuinely spoiled. For many years few knew about the Caledonia Dam. There were just a handful of us and we didn't share.
Along came the internet, and Italo Labignan (Canadian Sportfishing) and it got turned into a circus.
I was able to turn my attention downstream and discover some real honey holes. Far and away from the maddening crowds. More often than not it was easy to locate pods of fish moving up.
Go back the next day and they'd have moved on. Go back the next and a fresh batch had moved up.

I'm a catch and release kind'a guy. Took me many moons to learn how to catch steelhead consistently. All the while gaining much respect for their tenacity. Nothing will stop your heart quicker than big fresh steelhead going nuts at the end of your line. I keep the odd eater walleye, perch and silver bass. All the rest live to fight another day.
Only the walleye pictured above made it's way to the frying pan. The trout all released unharmed.
Rick

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks