FYI for trolling

scrimmy

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)

olling Speed

Posted by Chris Larsen on 29th Jan 2021

USING PROBE SPEED TO CATCH FISH​

On large bodies of water, wind and bottom structure work together to create underwater currents that are undetectable at the surface. The collision of warm and cold water also creates water movement. Understanding these currents is critical to trolling success.
Subsurface currents can drastically change your lure speed, making your presentation look unnatural. Trolled against the current, lures can wobble too fast or "burn out." Trolling with the current can leave lures dead in the water. Using a Fish Hawk System tells you what is happening at the depth of your lure.
The Fish Hawk Probe relays speed information from the downrigger ball to the angler. When trolling against a current, anglers must slow the boat down to keep the lure working at optimal speed; trolling with a current the angler needs to speed up.
Each style of lure has an optimal trolling speed. Good trolling spoons work over a range of trolling speeds, as do flashers (rotators) teamed with tinsel flies. Metal dodgers or plastic paddles with flies or meat rigs require slower trolling speeds. As do cut plugs used for salmon. Crankbait speeds vary by lure model. Spinner worm harnesses used for walleye are typically trolled slower.

TYPICAL TROLLING SPEEDS BY LURE TYPE:​

Trolling Spoons 1.8 - 3.0 MPH
Flasher with fly 1.5 – 3.0 MPH
Metal dodgers/Paddles 1.5 – 2.4 MPH
Cut Plugs 1.6 – 2.5 MPH
Crankbaits 1.0 - 4.0 MPH
Spinner worm harness 0.8 - 2.8 MPH
It is important to realize that the most productive speed may vary from day-to-day and even hour-to-hour! Allow the fish to tell you what they want. Fish Hawk provides you a mechanical speed that is 100% repeatable. Find the Probe speed that is producing bites on your boat and repeat it until it stops working.

I find in the elbow and around the shoal that the fish hawk offers both entertainment and some idea what the current is doing. Your surface and speed at the ball does change depending on direction and it isn't always predictable as the same spot can be different on different days. I don't think it has helped me catch fish -- you see the bait on the sonar, you try to put your stuff just in the bottom of it... or try to pull the stuff off the bottom.

Sometimes I think is lies though... can be 2mph at the surface and 2.4 on GPS and 3.5 mph or 1mph at 45 FOW. I don't think it is but its wild to see how it changes.

This should be a interesting thread. I have been out on a friends boat who uses a fishhawk and have seen up to a 1.1 mph difference from GPS to ball speed. We fish the elbow area which has a lot of current it seems. How much that plays into success in that area I am not sure yet. We troll spoons body baits and harness at the same time looking to see what is the bait of the day. Our approach is to select baits that have good action at the side of the boat then give them a go for 30 mins. The right bait in the right area at the right time catches fish. Putting all 3 together around the Elbow is a challenge. Burwell is a completely different fishery with very heavy concentrations of fish. We have done some testing at Burwell outside of the box with success. Boated fish on harnesses using Berkley power worms and Erie dearies trolling on lead core. My friend Joe runs some big ass baits and we are amazed at the size of the fish that hit them.

so if I read this, you shouldn't really have out worm harnesses and spoons/ crank baits at the same time
EXACTLY....when I sometimes read here that folks are running spoons at the same time as harnesses...I get a bit confused because the running speed for effectiveness is quite different (1-1.7mph for harnesses, 2.3-3.5mph spoons). Harnesses at higher speeds have a propensity to ball up, or worse, cut themselves off IF they are mono-built, not wire.

But, what do I know....hah

King Joe Outa Here!

so if I read this, you shouldn't really have out worm harnesses and spoons/ crank baits at the same time

My boat runs both (spoons/harnesses) of them at the same time at the same speed and they both catch fish.

What is the boat doing wrong? ;) 😁 🌻

This should be a interesting thread. I have been out on a friends boat who uses a fishhawk and have seen up to a 1.1 mph difference from GPS to ball speed. We fish the elbow area which has a lot of current it seems. How much that plays into success in that area I am not sure yet. We troll spoons body baits and harness at the same time looking to see what is the bait of the day. Our approach is to select baits that have good action at the side of the boat then give them a go for 30 mins. The right bait in the right area at the right time catches fish. Putting all 3 together around the Elbow is a challenge. Burwell is a completely different fishery with very heavy concentrations of fish. We have done some testing at Burwell outside of the box with success. Boated fish on harnesses using Berkley power worms and Erie dearies trolling on lead core. My friend Joe runs some big ass baits and we are amazed at the size of the fish that hit them.
I’d like to hear from the Glasgow guys. I do not have a fish hawk. I run a 4 pole spread, just dipsies and lead- but the current is crazy at about 55. Poles doing all kinds of weird shit.

If I had a bigger rig I could see this being a game changer.

I have had a fishhawk and or a Depth Raider for about 20 years and don't know what I would do now without one. They are more important in Lake Onrario and Lake Huron but also very helpful in Erie to track cold water and currents

Out of bronte 2 nights ago. We had 2.3 at the FishHawk down 55 feet and 4.7 surface.. absolutely insane

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks