Fishing Report Friday...Port Bruce

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
What a beautiful day to be on Lake Erie as I took a solo run this morning. Fishing was tough to just manage taking home 18 very nice perch. Fished a little east of the 3 trees in 37 ft. using my trusted home brand salties. Marked a fair amount of perch but not many takers and the bite was incredibly light. I feel lucky because most boats around me got very few if any. Hopefully in another week things will pick up. :love:

Enough fresh fillets for 2 hefty meals for me and wifey... oh yeah I can't forget our "little boy" (our spoiled little Cairn Terrier). :D

IMG_1007.JPG
IMG_1008.JPG

What a beautiful day to be on Lake Erie as I took a solo run this morning. Fishing was tough to just manage taking home 18 very nice perch. Fished a little east of the 3 trees in 37 ft. using my trusted home brand salties. Marked a fair amount of perch but not many takers and the bite was incredibly light. I feel lucky because most boats around me got very few if any. Hopefully in another week things will pick up. :love:

Enough fresh fillets for 2 hefty meals for me and wifey... oh yeah I can't forget our "little boy" (our spoiled little Cairn Terrier). :D

View attachment 3376
View attachment 3377
great catch runner but didn't know sardines were in season lol

WR ..what kind a knife is in pic... thx Red...does it do a good job ?

It's a Rapala and does a great job however not near as good as the straight 110 volt model referred to by @Derkd9. This one runs off a battery or plugs into a wall plug with a transformer on it. It does not have near the power as the full electric does therefore is slower to use. I also have a Mr. Twister Piranha which plugs into the wall outlet that carves up 10 lb. walleye using the 11 inch blade cutting through rib cages like butter. It was designed for filleting ocean fish which are big. It's also great for filleting out big trout or salmon for the smoker. I use it with the 7 inch blade when filleting a big mess of perch because it doesn't heat up with the constant filleting. It's a little bigger in the hand but has power to burn, I love it, bring on the pics. :)
$(KGrHqRHJFMFIDZ0SlL7BSGmMqc0)!~~60_57.JPG

dam how'd you get so much meat around the rib cages without any bones?

The electric filleting knife does all the work cutting around rib cages with ease and precision. Once you get the handle of using the electric you will never use a regular filleting knife again they are that fast. I was decent with a regular knife for many years but am 5 times as fast with the electric. As far as I'm concerned there is no other way to fillet fish. (y)

Last edited:
I have a Berkeley 12volt electric knife that I use when a friend and I have a whole bunch to clean
And we find that the 12volt is better for the small perch
Sometimes with the heavy duty one we can make a mess of the smaller perch. Lol

I have a Berkeley 12volt electric knife that I use when a friend and I have a whole bunch to clean
And we find that the 12volt is better for the small perch
Sometimes with the heavy duty one we can make a mess of the smaller perch. Lol

With the extra power the key is that you need a lot less action on your part. Let the knife do all the work, you're basically just guiding it and you will have better success. You won't believe how much more speed in filleting the extra power provides when you become accustomed to it. The fillets will pile up like Jackson Fisheries and your friends will call you "Smokin' Derk." :D

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks