Flip over huts

jamesnelson

Just looking for input on a flip over hut im a walker so nothing to crazy heavy but am thinking about a bit of room as well any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys

When I walk I go pop up when I quad I go flip
My 2 man flip otter pro lodge is 124lbs
My 2 man pop rapala Mii is 28lbs
If your hell bent on a flip for walking build a smitty sled and brand/size won’t matter

But back to the question
I’ve had a clam flip and an eskimo flip
And after 10 years I finally spent the money an otter and I will never cheap out on a hut again

OTTER flip for the win

Thanks for the input guys ill look into those options
I have a pop up now but looking for something a little more compact for when im on my own and can just use as a wind break as well seems everytime i use the pop up we get a ton of snow that isnt forcast and its a suprise when i decide to tear down for the day

I have a Clam Nanook. Weighs 80 lbs. Ton of room inside, esp for 1 person, but it seats 2. I pull it with an ATV It can be pulled by hand...but if theres a lot of snow, its a chore for sure.

When I walk I go pop up when I quad I go flip
My 2 man flip otter pro lodge is 124lbs
My 2 man pop rapala Mii is 28lbs
If your hell bent on a flip for walking build a smitty sled and brand/size won’t matter

But back to the question
I’ve had a clam flip and an eskimo flip
And after 10 years I finally spent the money an otter and I will never cheap out on a hut again

OTTER flip for the win
My next one will be a Otter portable ice hut as well @Beamer866 Angling Outfitters had a display of ice hut’s a few weeks ago,and I liked the Otter portable ice hut the best.123671236812369

I was out to see jos the other day but kt was during the cold snap and he didnt have all the stuff out so i will have to make a return trip when i have half a day to spend there
Funny how i pop out there for a simple reel of line or something and end up staying for 4 hrs lol
I agree @jamesnelson It’s not hard to spend a few hours there,and emptying a wallet!! lol I am glad that they are not too close to me to drive there. :giggle:?1237012371

After looking at the huts throught the years, everyone wants to be a Clam.
Yes they are popular. They are well made and not too badly priced. I have the Nanook as well and it's very nice but a beast to haul out. My son has a Yukon which is a little larger yet. Otter makes great products but you won't be pulling that one in the picture very far by foot. I've used pop-ups before and they work but are a bugger to put up in the wind. Better have good ice anchors! Even if I had a quad I would still use a flip-up. You can keep all your gear in them and they set up and take down in a minute.

I wanted two man flip till I seen how big the box was folded down, and the weight, I've got no where to store that 3/4 of the year and even to set it up after a day of fishing to dry, it would be dragging the 80lb box as big as me up and down stairs. If I had a garage I probably would have went for a flip

I can recall a very good friend heading across the bay in my old 6800 as I yelled at him to unzip the other side. Never again would I set up without being tied to the snowmobile.

Now its an x2 and I could not be happier except maybe if it was thermal. Running and gunning is super easy with a flip over.

I wanted two man flip till I seen how big the box was folded down, and the weight, I've got no where to store that 3/4 of the year and even to set it up after a day of fishing to dry, it would be dragging the 80lb box as big as me up and down stairs. If I had a garage I probably would have went for a flip
I have an old flipup from lebaron (needs couple pipes fixed) i never set it up after fishing as tarp was plastic. My pop up on other hand gets set up in basement after ever use too dry.

I liked the old flip...but sleigh was only 2 -3 deep and hard to keep gear from falling out.

Plan to make a new base with downhill skiis and attach old flip up to it. Or just make a new one

And that same snow will make pulling a flip over quite difficult.

A smitty sled is a very cheap and simple DIY project that makes an enormous difference when pulling a hut or sled in the snow. Plus it saves the bottom/runners of your hut/sled from wear.

I regret selling my clam yukon thermal. I would have kept it if i had known how much easier the smitty makes pulling them by hand.

To a point I agree with you ch312.
A smitty sled will help in pulling a sled.
But the extra weight of a flip-over would also reduce that effect.
Also the extra snow will also make the walking puller more hard tasked.

A smitty sled is a very cheap and simple DIY project that makes an enormous difference when pulling a hut or sled in the snow. Plus it saves the bottom/runners of your hut/sled from wear.

I regret selling my clam yukon thermal. I would have kept it if i had known how much easier the smitty makes pulling them by hand.

Hey ch312 I want to thank you for suggesting a smitty sled. I made one over the last couple of days with my own spin on it and it works great. I wasn't sure where I saw the idea but Stomp pointed me in the right direction. Thanks again ! TC

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks