Fishing with boards and mast

frenchy

Does anyone have a preference when fishing with boards? I have been using lead core the last few years but hearing and seeing alot of other ways. Lead core is hard to change up on the fly if fish are higher or lower.
Watched alot of videos with inline sinkers, clip on sinkers, tripsys and dipsys.

What is your preference?

I don't use boards because I don't have any. I am going to get 2 of the smaller boards for this year. I don't want to put a mast up for a few reasons. I run 2 Leadcore straight off the back and a #1 Dipsy Diver on rods on each side. It is very easy with that setup to adjust for depth on each rod without pulling them. I will run manual riggers in place of the Dipsy's if I have someone on the boat that has some experience and that doesn't include my wife. Otherwise I am busier than a one armed wall paper hanger.

last year was my first full year with boards and mast on my boat. it takes time to get used to them and to figure out what works and what doesn't. it is a system that is really set up for a larger boat with lots of room and where you are fishing with 3 or more people. otherwise i would go to downriggers with some dipsies mixed in for the outside rods. What worked for me last year were 2 rods on each downrigger (stacked on top of each other about 10-15 feet), a long line out the back chute with a true trip 40 and then 2 lines off the boards running deep divers. this is dependant on the number of fishermen in the boat obviously. looking back i believe running dipsies off the sides would have been just as successful. good luck

Btw what i really like about the downriggers is that you end up fighting the fish with no added weights so you get the true feel of the fish. Plus you can go deep if need be.

I usually have 4 in my boat so fish with 8 lines. I put 3 out each side on the boards with lead core and 2 riggers behind the boat. But I have seen people use dipsys, tripsys and inline weights off the planer boards.
Just wondering whats the preference to run off boards. I like lead core but gets expensive buying new line or chopping it up to get shallower. Seems like dipsys or inlines would be cheaper and easier to run off the boards.

the true trip 30s and 40s work well off the big boards. they only run straight so its straight down they go. Your boards must be able to pull and track well. Also the clips system you use is a key factor. I bought the mini scotty releases after trying different methods. They work well for me.

I recently got 2 in line planer boards so this year I'm gonna attempt to run 2 rods on riggers 2 leadcore on boards and 2 lead core straight out the back gonna be a Shit show fist few times lol

I also use torpedo divers off of the boards . Rapala tail dancers also will dive deep enough on there own .

I use boards all the time except for rough water. I have run lead core , jet divers, and hot lips for varied depth. Biggest thing is to find right release. I use shower curtain clips and elastic bands. If you want varied depth on lead core , split your colours. I have my lead set up as 5&5 , 3&7, 4&6 .boards allow bait to be presented away from the boat thus less noise. Also gives you a bigger spread covering more ground. Biggest thing with running boards is no sharp turns. Watch for traffic and make moves early and in small increments. Lead does not forgive. Also guys not running boards it is easier for you to move out of the way than guys with boards out 200 feet on each side.

Fish Whisperer. good points indeed. For those running big boards do you find that the hook up rate off teh boards goes down after the release trips (when compared to running lines off the back of the boat)? I notice that my lines will sometimes release but no one is home when you take up the slack. I have attributed this to the time the line is slack after the trip but don't know for sure. I have eliminated premature releasing due to vibration and pulling so i am sure its a fish that's tripping the release.

Problem I had last year was i did a day out of dunnville and found the walleye at 35-45 ft. Had all my lead to accomodate 30 -55 ft. The next week I went out with some buddies and the walleye were 20-30. Had to change up alot of leadcore to match. Now I am thinking inline weights or tripsys/dipsys would have been a hell of alot easier and at no cost to adjust to different depths.
I do like running lead core and had decent success, so scared to try or spend money on other methods.

All in Fishing. My catch ratio goes up on the boards. I did have issues with knock offs also. All I can saw is make sure you have sticky sharp hooks and loose drags. Most misses are light hitting pan fish for me. Also by using elastics it allows for some forgiveness.

Frenchy I spooled up some of my lead rods with braid. This way I can run dipsy or jets. Or you can add fluorocarbon leader to run lipped baits

For planer releases I recommend getting used to curtain clips and elastics. Once you get used to watching the band stretch it's like watching a rod tip for a bite. Also, no unwanted trips.

I use big boards and catch most of my walleye at port burwell with 5,6,7,8.9,10 colour(need lots of rods)...........depends where they are suspended that day, as far as losing fish, we usually have 4 fishermen (8 rods), shower rings and elastic's(don't leave them in the sun) when an elastic stretches or breaks we don't touch the rod till the lead core clears the other lines more towards the center of the boat, then a 10 o'clock steady retrieve to not make a big tear in the soft mouth. Sticky sharp hooks a must. You can alter the depth of a lead core line just by adjusting your speed a little. 10 colour at 2.4 runs 50'.......10 colour at 3.1 runs 30-35(spoons) big difference. Works for me and has for 20+ years.

I use big boards and catch most of my walleye at port burwell with 5,6,7,8.9,10 colour(need lots of rods)...........

@maytagman , why don't you segment the lead core. No need for multiple rods.

I use big boards and catch most of my walleye at port burwell with 5,6,7,8.9,10 colour(need lots of rods)...........

@maytagman , why don't you segment the lead core. No need for multiple rods.
I tried that but I didn't like the 2nd segment of lead core hanging down if it was the first or second rod used on 200' board line. Over the years I have accumulated 20 penn 320,s (x mas, b days and so on) I use just for lead core.

I don't know what's up with this quote thing but I didn't say that I use big boards Maytagman did.

I see what I did. I don't know how to quote a specific sentence from a post so I cut and pasted it. Mia culpa.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks