Off Topic Fishing Lake Huron near Tobermory?

murph

Headed up to a buddies cottage near Johnson Harbour between Stokes Bay and Tobermory on Lake Huron side of peninsula. If weather cooperates I'd like to take the boat up and fish. Looking for info on how to fish the area, will be using Dipseys. Approx how deep should I go out? , spoons or body baits?. Speeds etc. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Never fished up that way but Lions Head can have some decent fishing. I’d get the dipseys down as deep as you can and also see what your finder is telling you how deep they are. Troll around 2.7 and adjust from there on direction etc.

Pretty well a Laker fishery on that side of the point. You'll want to be on the east side for better Salmon fishing. On the west side you'll want to look for deep reefs and humps and get some spoons near bottom in 80'+.....

Lots of good nearshore action for big Smallies and Pike in that area. Some Walleye mixed in too..

Josh

remember the chantry chinook classic is on now july 24 to aug. 02..

stop in at J&S tackle in port elgin they usually know whats biting..saugueen shores to manitoulin

ya plenty of inshore structure smallmouth..fished good perch way off Red bay

Headed up to a buddies cottage near Johnson Harbour between Stokes Bay and Tobermory on Lake Huron side of peninsula. If weather cooperates I'd like to take the boat up and fish. Looking for info on how to fish the area, will be using Dipseys. Approx how deep should I go out? , spoons or body baits?. Speeds etc. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
Dyers Bay was always good at this time of year (early - mid August) Deep water, big fish, riggers preferred. 50 to 100 ft for thermocline, 1 mile offshore.

What I like best about the Bruce Peninsula is that you can find calm waters on windy days. Fish the westside on strong easterly winds and vice versa on west winds. I've been out of Stokes Bay a couples of times mainly for spring pike and perch fishing. We've Salmon fished the Eastside from Lions Head to Dyers Bay and also from Dyers around the point to Flower Pot Island. Best days by far have been strong winds from the Northwest. So many more bait balls in that area on those windy days. Chase the bait they say. Producing areas were trolling the Dolly Partons just south east of Dyers launch. Included a picture. Also the North bowl and South bowl finding the steep drop offs. South of Dyers launch and North of Lions head. We prefer going out of Lions rather than Dyers as it's a real marina. The south shoreline out of Lions Head hits 100 feet of water quickly. You can troll just minutes from the ramp. Thermal cline usually between 55 and 65 feet late July early August. The ramps are both good. Parking is better at Lions. At the end of the day more choices to grab food and drinks at the local pub. If you have kids the beach in town is a bonus. Lastly - if you're having little luck and on good marks. Speed up! (2.7 to 3.2 mph).

Have great trip.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 6.51.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 6.51.45 AM.png
    703.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
I was using spin doctors with a green action fly on dipsys on Sunday plus we also ran the riggers down 60/70, we were out between 100-110 most of the morning with 8 other boats trolling along a contour line. We managed a small 6.5 pounder laker as well as the mother of all leadcore/dipsy tangles when the winds turned our boat sideways before we could get the main motor on cause the kicker couldnt fight it.

Back