Fishing alone

StMarysDude

How many of you go out alone? I'm thinking about it but, the launching and coming in especially on a busy days seems like it would be a bit of a challenge.

How many of you go out alone? I'm thinking about it but, the launching and coming in especially on a busy days seems like it would be a bit of a challenge.
If I’m going on a solo mission I perfer go go down in the afternoon and fish till dark especially thru the week in the evening it’s not busy at all

I fish alone a lot also. Just always aire on the side of caution a little more than normal. As for loading and unloading hopefully you have a perfected system to get you in and out as fast as possible some are willing to lend a hand.

I fish alone a lot. Like Toad said don't take chances and if rough out there wear your life jacket. It may save your life. It can get a bit busy loading and unloading but there are usually people there to help. Especially the boat putting in behind you, lol, lol

When I had my legend I would go with my 3 and 4 yr old. Which is alone in the sense you launch the boat and retrieve alone. I was always good at driving on the trailer so I was ok getting out. Honestly it was the only way I could get the legend centred on the trailer. Launching, I just made sure I had long ropes and took a little extra time... and the kids stayed strapped in their seats.

For launching and loading it's very simple doing it yourself once you learn how far to back in at the ramp, which makes loading and launching 10x easier. Get it right and your boat barely moves once its floating so its not drifting off.

On the water there is no difference. If its safe enough to be out with a buddy, its safe enough to be out alone. Just be sure to wear your kill switch and life jacket.

Are you far from the lake? You'd learn a lot simply by watching others launch and load solo.

For launching and loading it's very simple doing it yourself once you learn how far to back in at the ramp, which makes loading and launching 10x easier. Get it right and your boat barely moves once its floating so its not drifting off.

On the water there is no difference. If its safe enough to be out with a buddy, its safe enough to be out alone. Just be sure to wear your kill switch and life jacket.

Are you far from the lake? You'd learn a lot simply by watching others launch and load solo.
@ch312, in St Marys about an hour from Pt. Bruce, bit far to go to watch others but have done it when I lived up in Pembroke, would be the only person launching and loading most of the time, just a lot of not so patient people around on a calm day anywhere near here. Was at Bayfield a few weeks ago and saw a near battle because one guy was struggling to get his pontoon loaded, I helped him but another guy was just swearing at how long it was taking.

if you need a sidekick I would be willing to go my boat is down this yr and would be happy to share expenses

It is seriously disturbing the tension people get into at busy launches sometimes. If your really in that big of a hurry, ya should have gotten up earlier. Just smile and wave.

there’s enough of us out there that been there, some times the boat plus wind plus current have a mind if it’s own and no matter what ya try it’s just stubborn.

if you can get out. Do it. Good fishing days are limited. Go when ya can.
If the guy or gal takin your money at the launch can’t help, ask the guy in line behind you. If he or she won’t help then it’s on them if it takes ya an extra try or two.

and if ya see a 68 sticker on a guys truck, Ask them. They will def offer a hand.

Most of the time I fish solo, that way I can fish 12 hours and not come back in. I hate fishing half days.(y):D Biggest thing I've notice guys launching, they back in to far when loading. if you have to take your shoes off, your to far in. Know need to get your feet wet. Make sure you have a long launching rope.

I am usually out fishing solo myself from Burwell. As everyone has said, do not take chances. We shouldnt be taking chances ,alone or not!! Heading down there soon. CASTAWAY on 68 if you wanna give me a holler

I also fish alone most of the time @StMarysDude and it’s just my preference & this way I don’t have to commit myself to meeting up with someone early in the morning,(just in case I sleep in,or the wind forecast has changed over night to worse!! ). Fishing alone,I can come and go at my leisurely time while I am out fishing sometimes around up to 10 hours. When I do fish with someone on my boat,it is usually with my family,or occasionally with a very close friend,but most of them have their own boats as well. One last point,yes it will be very busy today at the boat ramp’s along lake erie,etc., because of the civic monday holiday,plus the walleye fishing has been fantastic,and the winds eventually will become light today for lake erie. I will stay home today & wait for a less crowded day,and I normally don’t fish the weekend’s anyways,especially during the summer month’s. Be safe & I always wear my life jacket as well if I am fishing alone. Tight lines and Fish ON!! 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂

Attachments

• 78E4E1C9-461E-4815-9A23-D5A66CC9F7D5.jpeg
    78E4E1C9-461E-4815-9A23-D5A66CC9F7D5.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 7
Launch and retrieval a pain doesn't mater if you have help or not. You pay the same $ so to hell with anyone in a hurry. I would recommend an inflatable life jacket to wear when alone and have plenty of fun. Guys at pt Bruce launch will give you a hand

Back