Fished LPB ( Elbow) - Aug. 10th

10-7

Hope guys have better luck today then I had yesterday. lol The lake started off calm, then the wind picked up later in pm. I had lines down by 8:30am and up by 3:30pm with only 2 eyes & 1 perch in box. Marked well, but could not get them to bite. I did switch up things in an effort to catch more elusive eyes and avoid bows action. I guess it worked because for the first time out there, I did NOT catch any bows & managed the 2 eyes.

I am curious to hear other reports out there from yesterday as there were a few boats. I did hear some good results on the radio. They do appear to be deep. Below the 40' mark.

Good luck to the boys today. Couldn't ask for better water and weather conditions for you out there. Look forward to some good posts/results.

Note: The lake still appears to be recovering from doing a flip a couple weeks ago or at least the dramatic temp change. I will blame that for my poor results. lol;)

Going to give the east end a try next time out.

Cheers

10-7

Solo'd from 0730am to 1100am. Went 1/1 on a nice rainbow SE of Elbow, 95fow, down 57' on the rigger on blue and chrome NK28 Mag. That was it for the morning. No flies and no sea-snot on the lines. Heard the Nanticoke gang in shallower water around 62fow doing well on harnesses and dipseys for the pickerel. That seemed to be where the baitfish were stacked up with lots of hooks in them.

I was out at the same time Scott lost one off a dipsey. There was 2 other boats out by me they picked up a few bows in 60 fow. When you going out again?

I was out too from 7:30 to 10:00 but washed lures. Tried a bunch but most of my marks were real deep and I couldn't get to them.

Oh well; I was due for a skunk and drowned in my sorrows with an awesome afternoon of tubing with the boys!

Nice catch Southwind. She's a fat one. I'm not sure when I will be out next. I was planning on going out tomorrow, but wind forecast doesn't look favourable. I think it's time to troll the ridge east and see what I can mark. Like Southwind mentioned, doing well out that way. Time to explore. May change my mind after reading Sea Star's report for today. lol May have to pick his brain.

I was out at the elbow with lines in at 8am till 2:30pm. Had a few releases on the downriggers and had one on for about 10 seconds and that was all. Tried Ripplin Red Fins and many spoons on Dipseys and 2 downriggers at various depths and various trollling speeds from 2.5-3.5 mph. Seems like it was just a poor bite that day.

I'd always attribute a dry livewell to a poor bite too Mitch, the problem was they were hammering the walleye all around me.

They were eh, man I hate being the one with nothing in the boat :) I did well the week before with the Bows but yeah, I cannot seem to get any walleye. Gonna switch my dipsy to a black one and see if that helps, i have bright yellow ones now. I set my downriggers at 35-65 feet throughout the day, should I be going shallower for the Eyes? Been trolling about 2.5-3.0 using spoons and ripplin red fins...

I'm running all black dispys and taking the "O" ring off. # 3 setting on outside lines and no subber.
Have a 6 to 7 ft leader line 25 lb flouro and speed has been aprox 2.7 or so. Found trolling north south produced best results.

Spoons for eyes that are working are green or red Monkey puke, Greasy chicken and Orange crush ( all copper backs ).
Caught a Cpl on gold / black red fin too.

Most of my eyes have been in the 3o to 45 fow range, but yesterday I pulled dipsys up to 25 to 35 fow range and got a cpl.
I'm not getting huge numbers but manage to get 2 or 3 good sized eyes most times I go out. More luck than skill I think lol.

First 3 hours of day light and last 3 hours seem to be time of day that's worked for me too fyi.

Cheers
D

Last edited:
I'm running all black dispys and taking the "O" ring off. # 3 setting on outside lines and no subber.
Have a 6 to 7 ft leader line 25 lb flouro and speed has been aprox 2.7 or so. Found trolling north south produced best results.

Spoons for eyes that are working are green or red Monkey puke, Greasy chicken and Orange crush ( all copper backs ).
Caught a Cpl on gold / black red fin too.

Most of my eyes have been in the 3o to 45 fow range, but yesterday I pulled dipsys up to 25 to 35 fow range and got a cpl.
I'm not getting huge numbers but manage to get 2 or 3 good sized eyes most times I go out. More luck than skill I think lol.

First 3 hours of day light and last 3 hours seem to be time of day that's worked for me too fyi.

Cheers
D
Thanks D, I'll try all that hopefully this Saturday. By the way, I built a smoker and smoked the Rainbows I got last week, holy crap are they good! Hope I get some more this weekend.

Send me the plans for the smoker lol

Forgot to mention that i've adjusted my drag a lot looser and as a result have increased my hook set.
Have my drag set just tight enough so it won't creep out while trolling and clicker on so I can hear a strike too.

Lost enough spoons from big bows out there already cuz i wasn't using snubbers and had drag too tight, haven't lost any since.

TwinFisher I have almost identical report from yesterday. Black dipsey #3 no snubber,7ft leader trolled south and north @ approx. 2.8 mph
Only picked up one eye after 30 mins but trolled for only an hour. The bite is slow but still getting results

I went 1 for 1 with a nice 7lb walleye, almost all the way out at the lighthouse. rolled all morning with only the one hit. Caught on a blue and silver ripplin red fin about 35-40ft down

Was it just me or were you guys marking them either on the bottom and higher up than normal? like 25 to 35 fow?
We pulled lines up and only about 115 ft back and started getting hits.
Didn't even get any silvers or sheep either.........

Actually we marked them from 25 down to 60 ft all between 55 and 80 fow. Most fish are caught when we're not marking anything tho

Like DaveyBuoy said, we were marking all over. At the time I was out, the temp started to drop at around 35', most marks appeared below 50' tho. I heard guys last week were dragging their presentations off the bottom or close to it and had success hooking into eyes. It would appear people are having success in the 35 to 45 foot range as well and below 50'. Even reports from Burwell, guys are fishing deep close to the bottom. May have to experiment out there next time re depths. I was marking a lot close to the bottom as well.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks