First Time for Burrwell Eyes

Reyner124

looking to head out trolling for eyes tomorrow at burrwell, picked up a few dipseys so going to give them a shot, wondering if body baits are the way to go or worm harnesses. Few friends went out yesterday and got 4 on harnesses but were out all day, planning on heading to 53 feet of water in the am and dropping lines down 40(ish) feet. Been reading alot of peoples posts on here and it sounds like almost anything will work as long as your in the right spot (true?). Was out about a week ago just before a nasty storm and got skunked. Hoping it was the storm that caused the skunk and not my fishing! Heres to better luck tomrrow.
Cheers

I'm a relative amateur at this as well but have been having some luck this year. My recommendations would be lead core and willams wobblers. This year I have been running one gold wobbler on 8 colours of lead core every time out. I play around with my other lead core line and my 2 dipsy lines sometimes with great success sometimes with none. The wobbler on 8 colours steadily takes 2 or 3 fish a day.

I do read that some folk are still getting them in shallower but also here that some are doing very well quite a bit deeper , mid to high 60's. But im thinking you just have to find them then circle around and clean em up

mix it up.........I personally havn't had much success with worms other than silver bass, but know for a fact produces for others.
since i don't have confidence with them i rarely use them....don't be afraid to use your favorite (or best producing ) lures from other water bodies that produced aggresive game fish.
today silver and blue bodybaits worked on dipsy's.....last week nascar spoons and perch body baits on lead and earlier that morning ripplin reds, bomber minnow and nascar, & moonshine glow/bloody nose worked great.

start off with one of each...harness on one dipsy....spoon on other....body on leadcore....and maybe a rigger or plannerboard for the fourth rod.

some days all my fish come on dipsy's and others on leadcore....still experimenting on planners.....gotta figure out whats best for you...boat..and that days weather

good

The problem with worm harnesses is they typically prefer running at a slower speed (depending the blade size and type) Run them too fast and the blade stops spinning and the whole works just rolls. I usually run body baits and spoons on one side and harnesses on the other and slow the speed down to 2.2 - 2.5. Soak the worms on Luke warm water on the ride out ( no dirt on the boat, it makes a mess) Clip the end off the worm and squeeze all the guts out before hooking it up. It will run straighter and flaps like a ribbon behind the harness. That is what works for me anyways. Hope that helps.

When I fish for lake trout in northern ontario, I will remove the blades from worm harness then i will take a small gold or silver/blue williams wabler spoon and remove the treble hook and then tie worm harness to it, i usually like 12"-18 " between spoon and worm.

I don't see why it wouldn't work for walleye???? If you have too long of lead between worm& spoon (flasher) fish may hit the flasher.

that's an interesting idea....I rig alot of my own 1 and 2 inch spin and glo's with a stinger for lakers usually tipped with a small strip of sucker belly....sometimes I'll run a flasher in front but often the big spinner works well on its own

Back