Fishing Report Feb 14 Perch&pike

SIX-GRAND

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Perch was the target out of st.williams. fished 6fow again. Went 7/12 on the pike. iced 5 of them ranging from 27-31" . 2 smaller pike released 1 lost at the hole & 4 cut off.
Even with all the pike around we Managed and marvalous Pail of 116 perch for a 3way split. Released around 40-50 each. Keepers ranged from 9 to 12 3/4" 30 of which made the 12+" mark. gobs of 10s&11s. Sitting in the hut and being able to sight fish and finesse a bite out the big 1s defiantly helped the count. Brother sat on the open ice all day and hooked 9 pike landed 5 and 4 cut him off.
The hot perch lure for us was ripping tipped spoons in the 2-3.5" range and rapala #4&#5 rippin rap(I think that's what they are called).. Same idea as rattle trap style bait. Give a rip and let free fall on a slack line to within 6-12inch of bottom and bang! Hit as soon as it would come to rest. If they just wanted to chase and not commit, a live minnow on small tungsten ijg would seal the deal. Brother ran a tungsten jig&minnow on 1 rod all day and switched between #4 clown ripping rap and Williams w40 on the other. He Nailed a pile of fish with that set up (24 keepers, 9pike). He hooked & lost far more pike then we seen while in the hut. He was 100ft away on the same matted weeds the only difference we could see is the the ice was 15+inch where he drilled and 8" I where I set up. It was clear that he set up on multiple layers of ice the had packed and from the big winds last week. For what ever reason the pike seem to be favoring it.20210214_181049.jpg I made damn sure we set away from ALL THAT BUZZING around today. Man was it hopping today!

Perch was the target out of st.williams. fished 6fow again. Went 7/12 on the pike. iced 5 of them ranging from 27-31" . 2 smaller pike released 1 lost at the hole & 4 cut off.
Even with all the pike around we Managed and marvalous Pail of 116 perch for a 3way split. Released around 40-50 each. Keepers ranged from 9 to 12 3/4" 30 of which made the 12+" mark. gobs of 10s&11s. Sitting in the hut and being able to sight fish and finesse a bite out the big 1s defiantly helped the count. Brother sat on the open ice all day and hooked 9 pike landed 5 and 4 cut him off.
The hot perch lure for us was ripping tipped spoons in the 2-3.5" range and rapala #4&#5 rippin rap(I think that's what they are called).. Same idea as rattle trap style bait. Give a rip and let free fall on a slack line to within 6-12inch of bottom and bang! Hit as soon as it would come to rest. If they just wanted to chase and not commit, a live minnow on small tungsten ijg would seal the deal. Brother ran a tungsten jig&minnow on 1 rod all day and switched between #4 clown ripping rap and Williams w40 on the other. He Nailed a pile of fish with that set up (24 keepers, 9pike). He hooked & lost far more pike then we seen while in the hut. He was 100ft away on the same matted weeds the only difference we could see is the the ice was 15+inch where he drilled and 8" I where I set up. It was clear that he set up on multiple layers of ice the had packed and from the big winds last week. For what ever reason the pike seem to be favoring it.View attachment 37657 I made damn sure we set away from ALL THAT BUZZING around today. Man was it hopping today!
@SIX-GRAND theres some good eating fresh cold water pike and a nice pail of perch. We did the same on Friday, get away from the traffic. We were just beyond all the hut rentals

The hot perch lure for us was ripping tipped spoons in the 2-3.5" range and rapala #4&#5 rippin rap(I think that's what they are called).. Same idea as rattle trap style bait. Give a rip and let free fall on a slack line to within 6-12inch of bottom and bang! Hit as soon as it would come to rest. If they just wanted to chase and not commit, a live minnow on small tungsten ijg would seal the deal. Brother ran a tungsten jig&minnow on 1 rod all day and switched between #4 clown ripping rap and Williams w40 on the other. He Nailed a pile of fish with that set up (24 keepers, 9pike). He hooked & lost far more pike then we seen while in the hut. He was 100ft away on the same matted weeds the only difference we could see is the the ice was 15+inch where he drilled and 8" I where I set up. It was clear that he set up on multiple layers of ice the had packed and from the big winds last week. For what ever reason the pike seem to be favoring it.View attachment 37657 I made damn sure we set away from ALL THAT BUZZING around today. Man was it hopping today!
Great detailed report we also stayed out side of all the huts, perch would come by in cycles the more noise made by the machines the better for us. We only had one pike come bye.
thanks for sharing🎣

With 6fow I assume it's in a walking distance from the shore, or do you need a ride to get to the spot?

Thanks!

Yeep just walking out. I always walk out pulling my sled with 4man hut heater and fishing gear. . 10-15mins.
A buddy of mine fished yesterday. The strait out from west side of the light house 10mins and set up. 7-1pm They did 23keepers and went 1/4 on the pike. 6fow over matted weeds. He was couple hundred ft off the hiway every1 been using to go way out.

Hey Six Grand,
I must apologize for not following your recommendations. After showing your pics to my son and brothers, we book one of Jimmy's huts on Wed. We fished 730-2. Nobody on his side of the bay caught anything. We were in close to shore in 38-42 inches of water. I'm not sure why all of his huts are that close to shore?
is this normal? My hand held auger hit bottom when I was drilling my own holes outside of the hut.
Next time my son want to go fishing with you. lol

250.00 dollars fishing hut
40.00 new tackle
30.00 gas
time with family priceless.

Hey Six Grand,
I must apologize for not following your recommendations. After showing your pics to my son and brothers, we book one of Jimmy's huts on Wed. We fished 730-2. Nobody on his side of the bay caught anything. We were in close to shore in 38-42 inches of water. I'm not sure why all of his huts are that close to shore?
is this normal? My hand held auger hit bottom when I was drilling my own holes outside of the hut.
Next time my son want to go fishing with you. lol

250.00 dollars fishing hut
40.00 new tackle
30.00 gas
time with family priceless.
I fished out of one his huts a couple years few years ago. He had us in the vary same area. If i remembers correctly it was vary similer circumstances as well.. there was good ice then the winds picked up and blew it apart some and what was left was just that vary spot. We fished 3 feet of water as well that time. We was the 1st crew out and last crew in. We seen 1 big pike all day and that was it! Hooked nothing. Lol.
I guess it could be considered normal since the reason for the location were vary similar in nature do to nature.

Back