Feathestone smallies

eberbob

Well after being a cottage owner at Featherstone for 7 years now, I was suppose to have flipped for an investment. Problem is, I figured out how good the smallies fishing is right out front of our point. Got 40 over the long weekend, the best a 3.6lber. Enjoyed family and friends catching fish at cottage. Great weekend!

You can't throw a stone into the water here anywhere in Haldimand and not bonk a Smallie on the snout.

I had cousin from the US up a few years back for opening. We didn't even use the boat. They waded out into the lake and caught one after another and had fish swimming between their legs. They had a contest for 30 casts. The winner went 24 fish for 30 casts. We used to drive all over Ontario Bass fishing and I didn't know the bass were a 45 minute drive from where I lived. The secrets out, plenty for everyone if good conservation practices are followed.

Ya lots of fisherman early in the bass season just wade out, especially fly fishing guys for the challenge. The spawn season seams to be longer and I catch fish with eggs in them right till August?? This, is truly the best time of year in the next 45 days that bass are kick ass! Aggressive and the big guys move in closer. Lots of opportunities for 3-5 lbers

I have never fished east of Nanticoke on Erie (other than Buffalo Harbour in the spring), where do you guys launch to fish the area? What are the water depths like, drop shotting or flats type? Its a bit of a haul so any info would help, thx...tight lines..

@aces, I pulled a thread about eastern smallies and put it up on this page to answer some of your questions. There are many places to launch, from Port Dover all the way to the Niagara River.

On the Lake Shore Road where it meets Kohler Rd at Stop sign(the old Parrot Head Restaurant there although closed) there is a public launch, really only good for smaller boats(under 18 feet) to launch though.

That's more like a flat area going into the lake more than a launch but it is free. I have been stuck up to the fenders that cost me more than 20 bucks to get a tractor to pull us out. OK for a smaller boat though @eberbob. Caveat emptor.

I have lobbied for a public launch here for 19 years only to fall on deaf ears from our City Hall. It is ludicrous we only have 1 free public launch in this county at Maitland, and it is full of boats from Hamilton at 07.00, like @Fish Farmer. He pays zero taxes here and catches all my fish to boot!!! Are you reading this Dave??? You, you.

I couldn't help but laugh at this post. I purchased a property 4 years ago just off Lakeshore Rd. between Hoover and Featherstone Point with the same idea in mind. The weekend I bought the cottage I took my little 10' aluminum out to see what was off the points. I felt like I just found a winning lottery ticket!!! Absolutely non-stop 2 - 3 lb smallies. Needless to say it's almost 5 years later and not only have I not sold the cottage but I've invested in a 14 1/2' tracker with a 50hp mercury outboard.

The fishing has been a little slower the past 2 summers but I think that's more to do with weather than location. I'm really looking forward to this year as it will be my first season with the new boat and a decent navigation system.

If you're new to the area obviously be aware of Cunningham Reef between the points. It definitely needs to be respected. I fished for 4 years in my little aluminum before I felt comfortable with a bigger boat in that area.

Good luck and enjoy the winter!

Grandparents had a cottage on Winger Bay Lane from the 40's to the late 70's, in your area until it was destroyed in a big storm. Much of my early years were spent in the family tinner or Tilbury poking the reefs and rock piles. On good days I would go with my dad and grandfather and drift for pickerel out beyond the 45 foot range. The area just west and north of Cunningham Reef in those days was all covered in reeds and I would go with them to catch green bass (smallies) and black bass (LM) amongst the reeds. Don't know what caused all of those reed beds to disappear, but there were acres of them that looked like tall onion stalks. On exceptionally good weather they would venture down to the Hog's Back (Tecumseh). There was another unmarked reef we fished perch at just east of the Kohler Road and out about a mile. Old timers called it the Oakwood Reef, for the lake freighter that grounded there one time lost in a fog.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks