Favourite walleye lures

FrankReynolds

Hello everyone,

I'm going to go on a little shopping spree at the tackle shop. I'm gearing up for the walleye! Its been too long since I've been out fishing, but that all changed when I picked up my new(to me)boat yesterday ?

Can you guys do me a favour and let me know you're favourite lures (brands, colour, sizes) for those beauty walleye... I'm new-ish and can't wait to get back at it.

Thank you,

Frank

Last summer the walleye really liked the Rippling Redfins in a variety of colours, but I mainly used Fire tiger, another with a blue back and chrome body, and another with a green back with whitish body. They caught a lot of fish.....last year. Depending on their preference this year, I may see you at the tackle store.

Spoons. Greasy chicken, nascar, happy hooker and pink panties were killing it last year off dipsy divers. As for pencil baits I’ve had great luck with Crome blue bodie and orange belly. Was out today and got a 7 lb eye and lots of 3 lbs. getting rocky out there now.

@FrankReynolds you are in so much trouble lol. :unsure:

I have had great success with gold/black ripplin redfins last year, not so much this year yet.

As far as spoons, there are a lot of success stories in a variety of sizes colours and makes. I'm leaning more towards Silver Streak spoons this year and they have not disappointed.

What I did was use the search feature of the forum and look for consistent recommendations over time and then went shopping...... numerous times. :)

Good shopping :)

The ones with hooks seem to be doing well this year! Honestly, in about 4 trips out trolling so far I haven't changed a lure. Redfins haven't been doing as well as spoons for us yet but everything is catching fish. Greasy Chicken, Double Orange Crush, Blueberry Muffins, Nascar, have all done well but I haven't really had much else in the water.

Yesterday out of Burwell we landed ours on Dreamweaver brand Pink Panties and Monkey Puke spoons. Tried lots of others, but those worked. Heard pretty much any color was working in the early morning.

You could drop a fire extinguisher with a hook on it out there right now and catch fish. Save your pennies and buys lures that will serve you well for multi purpose fish if you travel to different bodies of water.

Suggestions mentioned above are all great choices tho

Good luck

Herefishyfishy

Above but include rapala tail dancers, down deep husky jerks, flicker minnows,Wally divers and live target smelt baits.

Colors clown, white , purple and green should cover it .

I assume you mean trolling for Erie eyes and not inland walleye which would change things up a lot

Worm harnesses, AC shiners,rippling red fins,bandits,renoskys,bagleys,and small copper back spoons. There are some beautifully custom painted versions of these lures available and man do they put fish in the box.

Wow I appreciate the feedback! Thank you everyone for taking the time, but I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna settle on the Duff Beer lure lol... After reading all the replies sounds like I'm gonna need a new tackle box too ?

No I’m not a dealer just a fisherman if you’re gonna buy good quality lures sometimes you gotta spend some cash.

You'll read almost everywhere else that Shad Raps are the #1 best walleye lure. For some reason that isn't the case on Erie and I can attest to that. I have a large collection of almost every color and size including the glass and RS versions. They produce on Erie, but it's hard to beat a small copper-backed spoon in the productive colors listed above. On Nipissing it's shad raps all the way. So if you read elsewhere that Shad Raps are best, that's true to some extent, just not around the LP area. They're pretty damn expensive too.

When I joined the forums and started fishing LP I went through dozens of threads just like this to gather intel.

For spoons, colors I see mentioned here most frequently are Greasy Chicken, Monkey Puke, Nascar, Wonderbread, Blueberry Muffin, Pink Panties, Watermeon, Mixed Veggies. In that order. Copper backed seems to be recommended over silver/chrome and smaller is better, especially earlier in the season.

For body baits, AC Shiners, Ripplin' Redfins, Deep Tail Dancers, Husky Jerks, Flicker Shads, and many more.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks