Fishing Report Excitement on the Pt Bruce pier this morning.

• Thread starter Deleted member 5866
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5866

My wife and I have plans tomorrow, so after Friday's success, she let me go again today :).

Got there and had my line in the water by 7am. At 7:02 right after I sat down, sheephead. Let it go, put the line back in, and at 7:05, first perch of the day, nice keeper 10" :).

BUT before I put my line in the water, I grabbed my net and helped land THIS!!! See the picture. He REALLY wanted to keep it, but everyone told him it was illegal, so some quick pictures and he let it go. :)

As for me, I threw back 3 perch that were too small, and brought home 16 (7 were given to me. Good Karma I guess for all the times I've been on the pier and given fish away to others, this time someone on the pier gave me their entire catch.) It was pretty good for a while, (In total I did catch 12 yellows of my own) but as can happen, when the bite slowed down, it REALLY slowed down. I had one bite and missed it in 3 hours after catching my last fish, and called it a day at 5:30pm.

So back to back trips bringing home 16. I'll take that. Better than back to back skunks, and speaking of skunks, we have 3 baby skunks running around our yard since Friday. Tonight while I was cleaning what I brought home, one of the little buggers snuck by me to my right, over to where our loungers are in the yard before I saw it, stopped and jumped when I said "hey what are you doin," turned and looked at me, jumped again, then realized I wasn't a threat, walked under the lounger, turned around, looked at me, raised its front paws slightly off the ground and looked right at me, nose going a mile a minute, as if to say, "please sir, I want some." But I read if you spray them with water from a sprinkler or hose (gently) before they spray you, they'll bugger off, so I put the hose on the shower setting, sprayed the lil bugger, and he buggered off just like the article I read said it would. (THANKFULLY :LOL:)

Attachments

• June 30 Lake Erie Sturgeon caught Pt Bruce pier (2).jpg
    June 30 Lake Erie Sturgeon caught Pt Bruce pier (2).jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 301
Last edited by a moderator:
That is awesome. I plan to be out there early tomorrow morning.

I can't come out and play tomorrow. We have plans.

Good Luck. Go REAL early, because if it's anything like Friday or today, it's going to be a bit of a challenge, and if the wind cooperates, it'll probably be a busy place like it was this morning. I got there at 6:40ish, and it was already really busy and I couldn't get to my "usual spots" and had to settle for where ever I could set up, but with all the excitement over the sturgeon, it was 7 before I got my line in.

They've been hitting relatively good early, light, but good. However, as is usual with perch fishin, they disappear for a while, then kind of come back in quick spurts of activity, then gone again. Friday was actually a little better as far as consistent bites, usually one or two an hour, but today, when it shut down, it really shut down. 1 bite in 3 hours this afternoon.

That's awesome to see!! Glad it went back?
He really wanted to keep it. He didn't seem to know what it was, but he wanted to keep it anyways, that is until we all told him it was illegal to keep it. First time I've ever seen one not on tv or a picture, and for sure the first time I've ever heard of one being caught off the pier in Bruce.

Love to see sturgeon around. Slowly they are making a comeback. I have only caught one in my life so far. Wasnt huge maybe 9lb but ice fishing. Was crazy. Glad your getting some Trevor. Stock up while you can
I've never caught one, no real interest in catching one. Cool to see though. I'm glad I'm finally getting a few too. Between what I've caught myself, which has only been 59 total this year so far, which is WELL below how many I'd caught last year by now, and what's been given to me by others, I have a total of 51 currently in my freezer, which is a big improvement over a week ago, when I only had 19, but it's still 29 short of how many I had in it last year on July 1 and 40 short of how many I kept in total last year, and I didn't catch a perch last year after the first week of July, so hopefully since they're really just starting now, 3 weeks late, they'll be around for a couple more weeks before they disappear again.

My wife and I have plans today so I had to decline an offer to go out in a boat today. I've informed her because I declined that generous offer, she's not allowed to cancel those plans because if we hadn't had them, I'd already be out in the boat hopefully on top of a big school of hungry perch lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of sturgeon in the system..Lake St.Clair, St.Clair river, Detroit river. You see them rolling occasionally. Must be lots in Erie.

Sounds like an exciting day at the pier. Not too sound like a total ass but you shouldn’t fish if A: you can not identify the fish you have caught and B: the regulations.

I disagree. IF that was the case then NOBODY would be fishing, because we all started out not having a clue what we caught or what the regulations were as kids, nor did we care. The adults with us took care of that for us. We learned as we grew older, and even now, with years of experience behind us, how often are there arguments about the regs because they are at times vague and confusing.

Under the premise you suggest, that would mean my wife should NEVER go fishing, because she won't have a clue what she caught, or what the regs are, and that is why I disagree, because although it is rare, every once in a while she will agree to come with me, and she relies on me and others with more experience to share that knowledge and explain to her what she caught, and if necessary why she can't keep it.

Those who are new to the game may not know all the species or the regulations as we who fish regularly do and I'd bet there are some species out there that because we've not personally caught one, if we were to do so, we may not know what it was, but others might. IE, I had no idea what a burbot/ling cod was the first time I caught one in the NWT. Had never seen one let alone heard of it, and I know there are still a lot of ppl who don't know there is a difference between silver bass and white perch, or that they are not regulated.

Last week I spoke with a gentleman on the pier who was adamant that if he was fishing for walleye, once he caught his limit of 6, that meant he had to stop fishing completely that day because that's how he interpreted the regulations. As he put it, he had caught a limit, so he had to stop fishing completely. He didn't know that he could stop targeting walleye, and start targeting rainbows, perch or any other species he wanted, that he did not have to quit fishing completely simply because he had caught his limit of one particular species. He also did not know that if that is what he did, if he caught another walleye, he could release it, OR he could keep it, and release one he had already caught providing it was alive and would remain living once released so long as he did not have more than 6 in his possession. He was adamant that in everything I told him, I was wrong despite me telling him several times, what I was telling him, was information I had obtained directly from the MNRF because I had called them to get clarification on these matters because I was confused or unclear about what the regs said. Nope, I was still wrong.

It's up us who do know to make sure that we share what we've learned, especially if the information comes directly from the MNRF because we called them for clarification about something we were confused or unclear about in the regs. If someone chooses not to believe us, so be it. It's equally up to us to say something if we see someone doing something they shouldn't be, ie telling that teenager last week, or the adult a few years back, that using more than one rod off the pier is illegal, (both incidents, each was using 4 rods and everyone was letting them know it was illegal, and neither cared until someone started taking pictures with the kid a week ago and he decided on his own to pack up and leave, and the adult a few years back, well he found out the hard way, the CO showed up, big fine, lost most of his gear)

This gentleman was happy he caught the sturgeon, and lets face it, I think everyone there would've been happy to catch it, it was something totally unexpected, and rare, but he was happier there were people there who could tell him what it was, and that he wasn't allowed to keep it and why.

There's a difference between arrogant ignorance, ie someone who was born and raised here, speaks English/French fluently, but ignores the regs for their own selfish reasons, and innocent ignorance, ie someone like this gentleman, who although he did understand and speak some English, fluent with complete understanding, he is not. English is a second language for him, and everyone who was there realized that and by the time he had the hook out, he understood what it was, and why he couldn't keep it. There was no arrogance from him, he just did not know what he had, or why he couldn't keep it until it was explained to him. We were all taking pictures, and he asked someone to take one for him with his phone, which someone did, and it was back in the water in less than 3 minutes.

Last year I did horrible for perch. So bad that I gave up on them because it was easier catching walleye.

A lot of ppl just gave up on them last year and did the same thing. Eyes have been easy to find and catch, perch, not so much, so why not. Bigger fish, better fight, depending on your own personal tastes, at least equal if not better tasting than perch. As a former chef, I'm always playing with the flavors anyways so it's always different depending on how I choose to season it or how I choose to cook it LOL.

I've done "ok" for perch the last two years, thanks in part to Misty River and Tailfeathers taking me out but I've also done "ok" off the pier in Bruce. Not stellar like it was 5 years ago when I got 2 limits that summer, or 4 years ago when I got 1 off the pier in Bruce, but "ok" at least enough to keep me eating fish most of the winter that doesn't cost me $22+/pound. This year off the pier hasn't been great yet, but we'll see what happens. The season is far from over.

For all I know next time I go, whether it's pier or out in a boat, might hit it at the right time and end up with a limit.

My wife and I have plans tomorrow, so after Friday's success, she let me go again today :).

Got there and had my line in the water by 7am. At 7:02 right after I sat down, sheephead. Let it go, put the line back in, and at 7:05, first perch of the day, nice keeper 10" :).

BUT before I put my line in the water, I grabbed my net and helped land THIS!!! See the picture. He REALLY wanted to keep it, but everyone told him it was illegal, so some quick pictures and he let it go. :)

As for me, I threw back 3 perch that were too small, and brought home 16 (7 were given to me. Good Karma I guess for all the times I've been on the pier and given fish away to others, this time someone on the pier gave me their entire catch.) It was pretty good for a while, (In total I did catch 12 yellows of my own) but as can happen, when the bite slowed down, it REALLY slowed down. I had one bite and missed it in 3 hours after catching my last fish, and called it a day at 5:30pm.

So back to back trips bringing home 16. I'll take that. Better than back to back skunks, and speaking of skunks, we have 3 baby skunks running around our yard since Friday. Tonight while I was cleaning what I brought home, one of the little buggers snuck by me to my right, over to where our loungers are in the yard before I saw it, stopped and jumped when I said "hey what are you doin," turned and looked at me, jumped again, then realized I wasn't a threat, walked under the lounger, turned around, looked at me, raised its front paws slightly off the ground and looked right at me, nose going a mile a minute, as if to say, "please sir, I want some." But I read if you spray them with water from a sprinkler or hose (gently) before they spray you, they'll bugger off, so I put the hose on the shower setting, sprayed the lil bugger, and he buggered off just like the article I read said it would. (THANKFULLY :LOL:)
I have never seen a Sturgeon and am surprised to see one so close to home. Quite an exciting experience and glad it was released back into the water.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks