Erie walleye with white tape worms

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
yesterday 2 of our 12 walleyes that we landed/kept expelled long white flat tape worms..found one attached to the vent and another in the bottom of the cooler...I heard a couple May reports from western basin sport fishermen of finding the same...
Thats been my first experience finding any..apparently they have exsisted in erie walleye for X amount of years ago..

I've seen them in salmonids from the lighthouse back in the 90s Mick... some very long worms. I have avoided raw fish since.

interesting findings stomp..I can't remember one way or the other finding tapeworms in erie fish..

you and me both.. no raw fish..I pass on the freshly made ceviche on board from freshly caught tuna & grouper, etc..no way..

yessir @mick ! Back in the day, I was cleaning fish and saw the long, pale flattish white worm in the bottom of the cooler. :vomit:

I have seen them for the past several years. Mostly in larger fish over 5lbs. Like pork, as long as you cook the fish and don't make sushi, they are no problem.

I find them every year. Our fish from Glasgow a couple weeks back about 50 percent had tapeworms.

yesterday 2 of our 12 walleyes that we landed/kept expelled long white flat tape worms..found one attached to the vent and another in the bottom of the cooler...I heard a couple May reports from western basin sport fishermen of finding the same...
Thats been my first experience finding any..apparently they have exsisted in erie walleye for X amount of years ago..
Have also seen it many times. They r an intestinal parasite only. No big deal

In the sixties we fished Pigeon Lake in the Kawarthas, and when we put them in the kitchen sink to clean them, there were white tape worms in the sink.

We had the same thing found in a few walleyes from Glasgow. Don't remember having 1 last year off Nanticoke with these worms. Did some reading as well, so as long as the fish is cooked, one should be fine. We generally bake the walleye or occasionally pan fry or bbq them.

As for these worms in the salmonoids, I never seen one but even if I smoke the salmon, I generally cure it for longer period of time than most.

I did hear from some people that places like Bernard Lake, being a closed lake, started having some parasites in that lake's Lake Trout, and these people stopped fishing this lake. Don't know what kind, this is just what I had heard. I suppose we should check the fish carefully when we process it...

So far this season 18 pickerel - no worms - though reading Lake Erie Walleye site - lots of guys on the US side finding them the last couple weeks. Several reports read of them being found in the coolers when the fish are iced as well as when cleaning. My reading indicates they are internal (gut) but doesn't affect the meat. Regardless - nothing some good hot oil can't kill.

Pretty much every fish and game we eat have some type of parasite and probably multiple different parasites. With the tapeworm you would only devour it if you ate the intestines.

From my understanding of past research freshwater fish should not be consumed raw (something to do with parasites). Most salt water fish can be consumed raw (cervichi, etc). best to be safe than sorry.

In 1990 I reported these tape worms in the walleye I was cleaning to the Fish Management Unit here in Port Dover. Biologist at the time Larry Wetzel gave me a dozen specimen sample jars with some kind of preservative in them and I collected samples. I never did learn of the MNR's findings. As Grouse Guy says they are only in the digestive tract and only seen if you cut off the head or puncture the guts.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks