End of an era.

dropshot

Been steel heading for roughly forty years. Time to pass the torch. Between my knees and my back, tromping rivers is all but a memory.

Sorry guys. Tackle is spoken for.
Stick and I still looking to hook up.

Thanks, Rick.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear your packing it in @dropshot, 40 years means it was your passion. Know all about the knees & back along with the age. Not easy but sooner or later the time comes for all of us and if not for fishing out of a boat I would be finished as well. Good luck to you with your new chapter in life. :)

Been steelheading for roughly forty years. Time to pass the torch. Between my knees and my back, tromping rivers is all but a memory.

I recently moved to the Simcoe/Port Dover area. Smaller home. Less storage space.
Looking to make some room.
I'm offering lots of float fishing odds and ends.
Rods, reels, waders and boots are gone. (Kijiji)
Down to a ton of terminal tackle.
Floats, hooks, leader material, roe tying material, yarn etc.

Free to a good home.

Send me a pm if you're interested.
Thanks, Rick.

@dropshot Rick, Your post felt like a kick in the guts. I wish you hadn't eliminated all your stuff. Normandale and Ryerse piers are manageable if you don't need help getting in and out of your vehicle. It's not the same as tromping the bush but fish are available for those who can't do what they used to.

I'm 51. Been working moving water since I was 5. Facing our last day out has been a topic of discussion between myself and the few anglers I consider brothers more frequently these days. Pain is shared by us all. As is the will to drag our asses into the predawn day for just 1 more memory, that crazy fish that will never be forgotten.

If you are truly finished fishing chrome, I'd be honoured to ease your storage issue. You don't meet many kids on the water these days but I can think of a few that would lose their minds being taught how to use seasoned tackle properly.

Hi Rick---Gord here from Brantford----we met a couple times at Caledonia I believe.

Facing the same problems as some other people have----the desire is there but the body just doesn't quite see it like that.
What is really sad is that I got to fish some beautiful areas the last couple of years and don't think i'll be back to see them one more time because of my health

can still fish the piers but will break my heart if I ever have to stop even that

Not suffering from a whole lot of heartache Gord.
Yes we did meet at Caledonia a couple of times.
We also shared in a mutual friend. Grant Ferris from Grey Bruce Outdoors
When it comes to fishing, life has been more than kind.
Still have my boat and pier gear. My true passion was standing in a river running a float.
Nothing more therapeutic.
A gear head. Always had to have two of everything. Always the latest and the greatest.
Built my own rods. Tied my own flies.
Back in the day we would drive 3 1/2 hours up and 3 1/2 hours back to fish for 5 or six hours. (Saugeen)
Now after a 3 1/2 drive all I want is a place to lie down.
Even my current boat is becoming a handful. It had been on my bucket list for a good many years.
Unfortunately it arrived just 3 years ago and is now becoming a real chore loading it back on the trailer.
Turned 65 a year ago last May. I swear I've aged 10 in that seemingly short year and change..
Always been pretty much a loner when it came to fishing. For me the solitude was what it was all about.
Had a few friends that shared my passion but they are all gone now.
Had a bi annual trip to Quinte every year for many years. Six of us. Two boats. Ten days in the Spring and 10 days in the Fall.
They too are all gone now. I'm the last man standing
I was grooming my grandson. Started him steelheading at 12. By the age of 14 he was catching fish that most his age could only dream of.
I had purchased a 13' GLX and a Kingpin float reel for him for his 15th birthday.
Nine days before that birthday he was killed in an ATV accident. He never got to realize that surprise.

Appreciate the sentiments guys.

Thanks.
Stick: Would love for some young fella to benefit from this.
You have a pm.

Last edited:
Well Rick I turned 75 in May----don't have the years on the water like you and even tho I cant or shouldn't try some of the stuff I used to do I can assure you if you don't already know your passion will NEVER leave you. Any time you go past a stream or river you'll be looking a it thru a fishermans eyes

Dropshot ......Damn but dont you know how to make a man cry !:(
I have fished those same waters for over 40 years .....have seen the changes the islands chewed up by the ice
Grant was a very cool guy that i met a Lonnnnng time ago he is fishing that long line in a better place
Gord dont you Dare give up my brother .......i have so many more spots to share with you my friend :)

Grant is indeed in a better place. Life wasn't treating him very kind in his last few years.
He's saving a place for myself and some others. Where we can once again share our passion.

normal_Plaque2.jpg

Hard to believe he's been gone almost 9 years.

Sorry lifesabeech. Didn't want to make anyone cry.
When my time comes, I'll talk to Grant about saving you a spot as well.

Last edited:
Hey Dropshot...sorry to hear your packin it in.. because of your back and knees?...well I would suggest gettin your mobility back... so you can enjoy your passion of fishing and other things in your life...I had both corrective spine surgery at Sunnybrook in Toronto and knee replacement surgery at University in London...i have my mobility because of getting these surgeries done...if you don't want to wait for lengthy wait times..pay out of pocket like others and go to the states...there is a well known Canadian nuerosurgeon right in Buffalo that will get your back fixed right and back on your feet. He has helped thousands of Canadians. What do ya got to loose...and everything to gain... especially your mobilty... 80 year olds are gettin surgery to gain or maintain there mobility...Healthcare Technology is very advanced...and we all have a choice...

I will mention recovery is not just a walk in the park..it takes time and effort...but well worth it(y)

Last edited:
Been steelheading for roughly forty years. Time to pass the torch. Between my knees and my back, tromping rivers is all but a memory.

I recently moved to the Simcoe/Port Dover area. Smaller home. Less storage space.
Looking to make some room.
I'm offering lots of float fishing odds and ends.
Rods, reels, waders and boots are gone. (Kijiji)
Down to a ton of terminal tackle.
Floats, hooks, leader material, roe tying material, yarn etc.

Free to a good home.

Send me a pm if you're interested.
Thanks, Rick.
Hi Rick
I live in Dover and need some tackle
My number is 519 583 0662

Wow you guys, that's so sad. What a story. I'm so sad to hear about your friends and the hardship it must take to watch them pass. The greatest part of our passion as fishermen is creating memories. You will have those forever and beyond. I'll think of you and your friends next time I'm on my annual trip with my buddies.

Hi Rick
I live in Dover and need some tackle
My number is 519 583 0662

Sorry squambo.
Stick on here has first dibs. He's going to use what he can to help out some young fellas. We
just have to hook up.

Wow you guys, that's so sad. What a story. I'm so sad to hear about your friends and the hardship it must take to watch them pass. The greatest part of our passion as fishermen is creating memories. You will have those forever and beyond. I'll think of you and your friends next time I'm on my annual trip with my buddies.

A hardship indeed. Not easy to watch when you reach that point in life when friends start dropping off all around you.
One thing I can never lose is the memories.

Hey Dropshot...sorry to hear your packin it in.. because of your back and knees?...well I would suggest gettin your mobility back... so you can enjoy your passion of fishing and other things in your life...I had both corrective spine surgery at Sunnybrook in Toronto and knee replacement surgery at University in London...i have my mobility because of getting these surgeries done...if you don't want to wait for lengthy wait times..pay out of pocket like others and go to the states...there is a well known Canadian nuerosurgeon right in Buffalo that will get your back fixed right and back on your feet. He has helped thousands of Canadians. What do ya got to loose...and everything to gain... especially your mobilty... 80 year olds are gettin surgery to gain or maintain there mobility...Healthcare Technology is very advanced...and we all have a choice...
I will mention recovery is not just a walk in the park..it takes time and effort...but well worth it(y)

Mick. Appreciate the thoughts. I have scoliosis in my spine. Herniated disks as well as degenerative disks. Seen a few surgeons in the past few years.
The consensus being: Nothing can be done. Too far gone.

In spite of several bumps in the road and couple of major potholes, life has been kind.

Last edited:
Bumps and potholes are what keep us grounded. Makes it reel easy to recognise the best moments. (pardon the pun.)

Thank you dropshot :) i wonder if in those times we ever spoke fishing the river ?
stick so well said !!!.....humble comes to mind
dont know if you know but my pic is on the geen fresh chrome nothing like it in this world, watching silver dance across the water take air :)

I don't want anything from you but your experience and stories. If you are able, available and the wind/waves permit, you have an available spot on my boat for perch or pickerel. Take care.

Thank you dropshot :) i wonder if in those times we ever spoke fishing the river ?
stick so well said !!!.....humble comes to mind
dont know if you know but my pic is on the geen fresh chrome nothing like it in this world, watching silver dance across the water take air :)

Could have chatted on more than one occasion . Who knows? Spent much of my time down by the dog kennels and the first rapids. Always preferred the Geen because you could floatfish so close to the mouth.
Lots of current from the first rapids up. Fish were fresh as fresh could be and absolutely NUTS! Used to access that part of the river via the steps at Fisherman's park. Now known as Grant Ferris Fisherman's Park. Had the park renamed a year or so after his death. A memorial plaque at the MNR building on the south side. Quite the legacy. His ashes are spread in the river as well.
Often stayed at the now defunct Riverside Motel. Used to be just north of Southampton on Hwy 21. Bob Bell, owner had an old limousine. He would drive us into Southampton on Wednesday nights for wing night. Drop a dime when we were done and he'd come back and pick us up. Those were the days.
Rick.

I don't want anything from you but your experience and stories. If you are able, available and the wind/waves permit, you have an available spot on my boat for perch or pickerel. Take care.

i2cool s fool.
Sadly the window of opportunity is about to slam shut. My wife is having surgery on the 12th of September. Then I'll be making like Florence Nightingale for 6 to 8 weeks. Appreciate the offer.

Last edited:
I'll be sending good thoughts your way and towards your wife dropshot. Maybe next years season will be kind to you.

Thanks i2cool. Her right knee was replaced almost three years ago. Time for the left one.
We both know what we're up against. She hurts like heck. I do everything I can to help.
Appreciate your thoughts.
Rick.

Dropshot, I'm 69 ,always a loner . Can't make the trip up and back like you mentioned but still get around local streams luckily.
Any way that is not the point. I go out of Port Dover almost exclusively for bass. Someone who can handle a rod is always welcome on the boat. This year is just about gone but next year any and as many times as you want to go give me a call. We can arrange by e-mail.

Back