Fishing Report Ecuador Pacific Sportfishing Nov. 12, 15, 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you’ve had some good fishing lately. Looking forward to your pics.

Good morning fisherman, its a beauty here having my coffee on my third floor patio overlooking the pacific..its calm & overcast..just so happy here..
while I was enjoying calm and coffee...my samsung device loading just over 420 new images..so I got a a few minutes, i will share a few of many that Fabian is our 2nd deck hand and he also does most of our photography..hereis from our Dec. 05 fishing trip..2023 DEC. 05 The Big Pacific 287.jpg2023 DEC. 05 The Big Pacific 296.jpg2023 DEC. 05 The Big Pacific 300.jpg2023 DEC. 05 The Big Pacific 308.jpg2023 DEC. 05 The Big Pacific 315.jpg2023 DEC. 05 The Big Pacific 317.jpg2023 DEC. 05 The Big Pacific 334.jpg2023 DEC. 05 The Big Pacific 346.jpg2023 DEC. 05 The Big Pacific 357.jpg2023 DEC. 05 The Big Pacific 369.jpg

Here we are safe and alive back at the pier..I am just exhausted... total focus rough seas and I battled these quality 5 Mahi Mahis and got um to the boat and Charlie & Alex had a tough job but they gaffed everyone and landed..Charlie took 6 swipes and got that big one..incredible... I had 2 at the boat but extremely deep finally got them up..
The above average size of these dorados matches and exceeds Costa Ricas dorados..they fight so hard in rough water for great sport..yes the dorado season has just getting started..
The marlin action here on this day a 1.30 minutes and 3 other videos..Maybe @stomp can chime in if short fishing videos are appropriate in my post, Its not for me..the fresh dorado fillets are delicious...and alot of meat here..but these guys got 3 fish and they eat like dogs..one sitting all gone..lol

theres the heavy hitters below...there starboard side fished same 2 lures all day..there pink white catches the first one..the average size one and they did get 5 bites, 3 marlin misses and lost a nice dorado..thats on the chuggar I bought for the boat 2 years ago the blue/white/pink

My lures are the 3 below the red/white (tuna killer) for the big one, the orange (turtle bait) for 1 beauty dorado and a big ass marlin bite...and my new addition the purple black scores 2 beauty dorados..the first one within 2 minutes of bait change..2023 DEC. 05 The Big Pacific 396.jpg
2023 DEC. 05 The Big Pacific 437.jpg2023 DEC. 05 The Big Pacific 376.jpg

Yes @hvyhaul we just had to make a last minute decision to go fishing Dec. 05..lol...happy we did

The 2 quality cow (female) dorados Alex is holding up for the group photo, I took these 2 fish 4 fillets, and that is plenty and It is my acceptable...lol..for example in Mexico the dorado limit per angler is 2 fish,

The other 3 fish in the photo are bull (males) dorados

You can easily compare the shape of the head to determine the sex either bull or cow..

Ok Guys have a good day

Hey thanks @stomp i will take a closer look on what i got from Fabians new samsung device he just bought for last trip out..I think the older MP3 video format videos worked out ok..

ya we gased up the Rosita today and got some other work done on the boat as well and some tackle adjustments..so ya we are basically ready to go now, when that day comes..we are ready 4 am start

Last edited:
Mahi & Marlin tuesday Dec. 12 yesterday, moderate seas & first light cloud cover...we had bit better then average with 7 total bites 5 Mahi & 2 marlin
i lost the last dorado on the hook set..really nice day out there, one of Alex's friend joined us, he was fortunate to land 1 of the 2 dorados double header
both marlin bites pounded charlies2023 12 12 Fishing Big Blue 026.jpg2023 12 12 Fishing Big Blue 032.jpg2023 12 12 Fishing Big Blue 041.jpg
View attachment 2023 12 12 Fishing Big Blue 046.mp42023 12 12 Fishing Big Blue 049.jpg2023 12 12 Fishing Big Blue 057.jpg2023 12 12 Fishing Big Blue 063.jpg2023 12 12 Fishing Big Blue 067.jpg2023 12 12 Fishing Big Blue 073.jpgI put some christmas decorations out today
bait starboard outrigger, and we did get a hook in the marlin that broke the cable crimp off with enbedded bottom hook..Alex and i had a few choice words for Mr. Marlin

heres a few photos from yesterday,

Hey up there in southwestern ontario, I just checked the 10 day weather forecast for back at home in St.Thomas,

a bit of a jolt reading after the day time high after tuesdays -1
are climbing to plus 4 celsius to plus 7+ and plus 6 for xmas day...

down here on the pacific coast Puerto Lopez the air temps are a bit warmer relative to the warm South Southwest currents at 25 celsius, the trajectory of this warmer water flow has been the trend since i started looking at the pacific here the end of August..

Normally compared to my 2 years ago November December 2021 I was here, we had a pacific that was a cooler water pacific flow at 22/23 celsius at a WEST - WSW, we wore nylon jackets for our fishing trips out, very comfortable with a light jacket and ususually the jackets come off, with a medium sweat shirt stays..and the striped marlin numbers and the catching was outstanding..
the southerly flow and the bump up 2 degrees, has in my opinion has negativly effected the striped marlin preferred water temps and are not here in big numbers here and at this time of year, there are a few striped marlin around, when i got here there were a few harvested on the beach for sale, i seen 3 single fish. and ROSITA TOURS 2 ECUADOR SPORTFISHERMAN CAUGHT 2 MARLIN, 2 days after we landed the trophy big tuna event

after the giant yellowfin estimated 2X at 300lbs and a cabo expert quotes 320LBs the world record sportfishing yellowfin tuna weighed in at I read lots of pacific weights to 445lbs, my big tuna is what counts and its a beauty, and to hook & catch on it on trip #1 in the first 25 minutes going through a small school of dolphins is just incredible and to cut out at least a 10lb squid (octopus) out of its stomach was still whole and intact, and to catch it on my new 13.5 inch white/red squid bait off the starboard outrigger makes it more intriging..just to get the rod out of the fixed rodholder was a giant WoW

I have also had trip #3 the most excellent world class wahoo fishing imaginable, we had a triple header as well, it was so good to experience wahoo were all day fishing, wahoo were high performance super screamers I had one break me off ( well used 80Lb braid with mono backing), and we lost 2 gaffable wahoo at the boat, charlie and alex missed 1 each..the score 13 for 16 landed..ya they reach top speeds 50 mph, the wahoo fishing i had Fredi from Cabo says was incredible and amazing, I know that..i sent him a couple photos..he couldn't believe it,

that violent roaring pacific trip #4 with the big hard fighting mahi mahi and the marlin rocket action beautiful side view port to starboard leap into the spread was outstanding and then chasing the squid bait 2X the jump arial forward.. but misses the hook up..that great day I rate gets 10 big stars for 10 big beautful bites,

I am extremely happy to make the trip after just 5 months from having the biggest spine surgery of my life, Thankyou God for the gift of mobility and strength to fish some of the best pacific waters in the world.. heres a little something how i got way down here in South America I looked at these historic pacific waters for the biggest black marlin in the world during the huge Peru Anchovy boom..ya take a look at the facinating history of the giant black marlin of Northern Peru right up to the giants caught off Isla la plata Ecuador.( called poormans Galapagos)

I charter fished the waters of CR with an ohio born out of Puerto Carrillio Costa Rica after fishing he sent me a photo of his trophy black marlin he caught out of these pacific waters years back, the marlin and himself (looks like a hippie with long hair..lol) him and his black marlin is hanging up on the beach out of Salinas Ecuador..excellent,
just take a look at the all the historic black & white photos of these giant black marlin...how did the black marlin ever get that big?..the biggest pacific Peru anchovy fishery ever, thats how..the story behind it is just amazing..and to plan a trip and end up going fishing off Ecuador, and to catch a beauty big striped marlin my 2 seasons ago and then now right off the start hooking up with my trophy size yellowfin tuna in todays standards, sure feels great and I am enjoying it like my last one..ya to revisit Ecuador and to get an entry is a 2 year wait and that would be Nov. 2025, and by that time its not gonna happen..I am good with that..

one last note, what is truly remarkable is the new line I ordered from California of pelagic brand fishing shirts and a new hat, why not..take a closer look at now my lucky new hat...check out the fish species on the lid of my new hat ..and the little flying fish just appeared in the well behind ..and the tuna, what can i say..
now thats amazing.. 2023 November 12,15,18 Pacific Sportfishing 1357.jpg

Last edited:
Hey up there 68 members i just got an oppurtunity now to logging in with my wifi connection with available electricity wednesday Dec. 20 at 3pm..thanks Santa, i hope it last to load up are lastest & biggest fishing trip monday Dec. 18..
and @maytagman good to see ya..and just to mention i never forgot your quote here on Stomps with your CR tuna action.
and thanks guys for the hat reply..

Hey up there 68 members i just got an oppurtunity now to logging in with my wifi connection with available electricity wednesday Dec. 20 at 3pm..thanks Santa, i hope it last to load up are lastest & biggest fishing trip monday Dec. 18..
and @maytagman good to see ya..and just to mention i never forgot your quote here on Stomps with your CR tuna action.
and thanks guys for the hat reply..
Where’s the new pics at mick?

We been patiently waiting for the possiblity to make the big trip of the season to La Bolla Armarillo approximently 120km with Garmin GPS tracker this location is an exact and it is marked with a yellow can marker with Tsunami vertically stamped After careful consideration saturday with the pacific marine weather for the start of this week looked promising , We decided to make the trip to the Tsunami yellow can marker leaving puerto lopez pier at just after 2 AM In the dark with running lights port side, and Fabian and myself lower deck headlamp on the twin Suzukis, Captain Charlie at the helm with Alex top deck. Sea conditions were good light moderate at South SW. I wasn't the least bit concerned, I, we seen 2 vessels at a safe distance, We reached the Yellow Marker just after first light, making very good time at a 4.5 hour run. Our strategey, we setup our 4 rod spread carefully 2 miles before we get there, and we headed to the can and got right to it. No other boat was there at this time.

We are into our first pass with the boat and while the spread lined up.. it was instant hookups with dorados, doubles and bites couple triples..hard fighting Mahi Mahi on a nice chop...Just amazing fast Action, a mixture of mature years classes, and teenagers in the mix, i think we said its a baby twice, I battled all the dorados at the boat, Alex assisted getting some near the boat, but then i took over..Charlie had his hands full gaffing swiping upto 10 swipes..sure we missed fish, the numbers were outstanding action,

Heres a few photos from a good full days fishing,
We gave alot of our catch sharing with the locals we know and I am getting to know them as well, its really a happy time getting back to the pier
and nothing is wasted, they eat the eggs and they make soupa from the carcass, These pacific Mahi Mahi are excellent quality
This renewable resource is a very healthy fishery

,2023 12 18 Hot Mahi Mahi Action 139.jpg2023 12 18 Hot Mahi Mahi Action 146.jpg2023 12 18 Hot Mahi Mahi Action 157.jpg2023 12 18 Hot Mahi Mahi Action 172.jpg2023 12 18 Hot Mahi Mahi Action 165.jpg2023 12 18 Hot Mahi Mahi Action 178.jpg2023 12 18 Hot Mahi Mahi Action 185.jpg2023 12 18 Hot Mahi Mahi Action 181.jpg2023 12 18 Hot Mahi Mahi Action 205.jpg2023 12 18 Hot Mahi Mahi Action 219.jpg

Iam not going without saying that we had a big marlin in our spread just before 1 pm, prior to that I got Alex to change up our portside outrigger to orange that i had already to go, so it was changed, and within 20 minutes Alex comes down from the top deck and says marlin, I didn't see it, we carryed on cautiously trolling and looking and made a big swing around, straightened out and a few minutes in and the orange squid got litterly pounded and the marlin rod catapults off and the rod is screaming..and while Alex was just behind me, I try to pull up the rod with really heavy resistance, struggling but slowly coming out, not realizing my right hand hits freespool, and the line and fish are vamous, Alex takes the rod picks up the line the fish is unhooked and gone, in the heat of the moment adrenaline is pumping,
we did have equipment failure with this marlin rod fishing the Mahi Mahi , and would of caused havoc as well trying to reel resistance with the reel twisting sideways on the rod seat. also the orange squid bait itself broke off the 14/0 double hooks after the loss of the marlin I angled in a 2023 12 18 Hot Mahi Mahi Action 152.jpgaverage size Mahi Mahi.
We changed up our dorado rod to the marlin rod, and made due with that off2023 12 18 Hot Mahi Mahi Action 152.jpg the portside outrigger and landed a Mahi Mahi, marlin fishing demands high performance equipment that works the way it should work, and not using a pipewrench to tighten and prevent the reel from twisting while reeling in a mahi mahi with a lot less resistance. This marlin rod setup, will be changed up, Charlie will do the right thing, and have that port side marlin rod back working, I told him right after i reeled in that Mahi Mahi. He did make a anboard change like I mentioned to get buy swapping out a dorado setup to the portside outrigger..

its just an important reminder to me as an angler and that when I experience equipment failure. thus the reel twisting on the rod seat needs attention for if there is a next time out, Charlie and I discuss details before booking before i give a gasoline deposit for the trip then we shake on it fisherman to fisherman..
sure i was good with changing up to orange,..what also i am not sure of is whats causing the 2 breaks now with his crimping connectors failure2023 12 18 Hot Mahi Mahi Action 155.jpg2023 12 18 Hot Mahi Mahi Action 152.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Trevor, we sure did have a full fun day fishing, thats for sure..that was our christmas fishing trip..the boys were good, very happy with that, I bought and brought some good snacks for the 3 of them..
Oh and Alex made is onboard ceviche with 1 of the small dorado, its a tradition they really. enjoy. i had ham cheese tortilla and tomato and mustard...Fabian made mine and served it to me with a large chilled coconut water..that hit the spot after all that reeling..

Mick..are you the only charter customer on the boat or do others split the costs. Thats a loooonnngggg ride out but the fishing looks unreal!!!

Absolutely not DaveJ ...these are my friends...ya I don't work that way, especially way down here, get yourself on a party boat in florida,

I could you use some real cheering up, I would love to hear your best pipe wrench slash marlin rod jokes..

Nope Santa never brought me one,

Christmas eve the pacific right out front was just a rocking, my patio umbrella flew off the 3 floor, my tropical plants blew over,..its all good now..

The big Mahi Mahi trip...I did some convincing to Charlie to make it happen, You can see the marker bottom right..I am hooked up right here..and deep...marker just stacked with dorados, every pass singles & doubles..great action..Charlies Garmin chart plotter GPS was right on course for record time on fairly light seas, what a great trip!!! there was one Manta commercial tuna boat working the outside surrounding waters, they stay out there freeze there catch 2 weeks on 2 weeks off..Ecuador rated 5th largest tuna supplier..
ya our fuel consumption was estimated at 100 U.S gallons and its government subsidized in U.S dollars..my oppurtunity here is priceless..

we made this trip 2 years ago, we caught some nice size dorados..the Bonitos were thick and a nuisance...we landed one nice marlin on our return... the report is on here...I don't forget that dorado double header was just so violent and crashing that fibreglass was just super brutual..
2023 12 18 Hot Mahi Mahi Action 124.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks