Downrigging Port Burwell and Port Bruce

Pinchel

I'm purchasing a brand new lund 1600 fury with a 40 tiller. Is this too small of a boat to be fishing big water? Obviously weather is the Main thing to watch. Just curious what people's thoughts are.

Congrats on the new boat and nice choice.

Picking your days it will suit you fine for rigging.

BD

I have a 17 and it's perfect for me; however, like you said re weather, have all your safety gear and be smart about picking your days and you will be fine.

I took my old 14ft aluminum w/ 15hp out of Burwell a few times and did just fine when the weather blew in, so you should be okay. :D

BUT, knowing how to drive a boat properly is far more important than the size of boat you're in as even an 18-20' deep V fishing boat can easily be capsized by an incompetent operator.

Thanks for the replies. I'm sticking to the smaller side of boats as it is nicer for trailering and traveling north. Getting it in the marsh green camo colour so may even get out hunting with it someday.

Lol yeah yeah if @stomp could help me fix the pic. I couldn't turn it. I've gotta be on board your boat @Big Dave to catch all the perch. Speaking of perch after my 2 outtings with you I have a few friends that may actually go this year. PM me a price on a full boat outting. Probably be 4-5 of us. Thanks

Cool I am glad our second trip was better than the first one. It was one of only a few days that were slow.

PM sent

Congrats on the new boat and nice choice.

Picking your days it will suit you fine for rigging.

BD

Exactly. Heed the weather and all will be fine. Whenever I feel the wind switch I've learned to head in. If it calls for 1 meter waves I wouldn't head out 10 miles, heck I don't head out anywhere on the lake over 1/2 meter waves.

just be carefull picking youre days, I run a 16ft sylvan ,50hp honda..
I go out there myself, as long as the weather is good.

Back