Downrigger release

IamMoe

I was just reading a post and and wanted to share something that might be helpful. I read that they check there downrigger often to reel in small walleye that aren't tripping the clip. I recently purchased 2 chamberlain releases. I bought these cause I was having the same problem with small fish. You can set the tension both ways separately so you still crank your rod down for a nice big arch but lighten the lower tension so even a small perch will release it. I have only been using them for 3 weeks now and have not dragged one fish yet. They are not cheap ( I paid $70 shipped from the states) but I believe they are worth it.

Will try mine tomorrow after work , but have to wonder if its a jaw jacking device.
Loading a rod with a hairpin trigger to set your hook.
Yes I'm positive I will not be dragging any more also.

Will try mine tomorrow after work , but have to wonder if its a jaw jacking device.
Loading a rod with a hairpin trigger to set your hook.
Yes I'm positive I will not be dragging any more also.

What do you mean by this? Do you mean the chamberlain release is a hook-setting device, ie is illegal?

Technically all releases are "hook setting" devices once you load your rod up. Fish pulls the line out of the release and the rod sets the hook. Same principal but the chamberlain is adjustable. There is a magnet in the bottom with a screw adjustment to move the magnet closer or farther to increase or decrease the tension.

Technically all releases are "hook setting" devices once you load your rod up. Fish pulls the line out of the release and the rod sets the hook. Same principal but the chamberlain is adjustable. There is a magnet in the bottom with a screw adjustment to move the magnet closer or farther to increase or decrease the tension.
Chamberlain release is by far the best for walleye fishing

Correct, however the regulations clearly state that if your rod is the tensioning device, you're okay. Otherwise any spring etc isn't allowed.

Chamberlain release is by far the best for walleye fishing

And yes, 100% agreed. Some people can't get them to work, but it's a simple matter of adjusting tension down until your lure triggers the release. At that point, you adjust back up a bit, and bob's your uncle.

I just started using the Chamberlians this season. Easy to set up and i haven't had a misfire or dragged a fish all season . You do need to use a clip above the release if you are using a large flasher for Salmon as it will release too easy.

Back