Disturbing find

cmac

Took a walk-about with the float rod today east of Sparta, 300m south of the bridge. Hooked what I initially thought was a perch ( green and black) though turned out to be a gobie. I found this to be rather disturbing seeing these buggers this far up the tribs... and a color change to boot. Took a photo and submitted to and contacted MNR. They seemed just as surprised as I was. Not a good sign! :(

I don't think they are as bad as the MNR thought, bass perch and walleye all seem to eat them, which is always nice to have an extra food resource.

What were you fishing for with a float rod near Sparta? Just curious?

Are you sure it wasn't a sculpin you caught? I've seen them colored as you describe..

Josh

Last edited:
I've caught Round Gobies many kilometers up river from Lake Erie so that doesn't really surprise me. It's only a matter of time before they spread everywhere.

Did it look like this @cmac? If so then @Josh Roelofsen is right, it's a sculpin you caught. From what I have read they are a native species and are actually on the endangered species list.

sculpin-fish-photo.jpg

That's what I saw Wave Runner. MNR have a photo of it. Thanks for the correction. Josh, what was I fishing for? Anything under the water...lol. New to float rod fishing so seat time is the best learning tool, besides...ya never know. :) A day walking the tribs beats sitting at home.

cheers

Well, just be careful with a float rod this time of year in that area.....if you look like you look like you may be targetting trout you can bet the MNR will give you talking to....I've heard of several people getting busted targeting trout on that and Kettle creek during the closed season.

Josh

Gobies have one circular pectoral fin while the sculpin has 2 pectoral fins like most fish. If it wasn't for that trick they can appear to be very similar at times.

Round Goby have invaded many Great Lakes tributaries including Big Creek, Thames River, Catfish Creek, Big Otter and many many more. Sure, they provide a food source for many piscivorous fishes (fish that eat other fish) but they are not native to our local streams and rivers. Many of our inland rivers have limited large predators. The fish community is mainly minnows (dace, chubs, shiners), darters, sculpins and a few others species. Round Goby can severely alter local fisheries, especailly in the absence of piscivorous fishes. Likely invasions occur in tributaries without dams BUT some rivers, like the Grand River, have seen Round Goby invasions above both the Dunnville and Caledonia dams.

The Lynn River in Simcoe has had gobies in the park for many years already. That is above at least 3 dams. TC

Reactions: Jay
I think study should be done on the meat quality of the fish that have eaten gobies. They eat Zebra and quagga mussels so they gotta have a higher level of toxins that would go up the food chain ?

I have thrown tons of gobies I've killed to the seagulls and more than 50% of the time they will spit them back out. That's a red flag because those feathered garbage cans will literally eat anything. :hungry: :vomit:

Lol...and go figure....I just BBQ'd half a Walleye the other night. Salt, pepper, lemon dill and a dash of mercury.

I love having gobies around. I grew up on the belle river on Lake st clair. i fished the area heavily my whole life. Every walleye i harvest in the fall is full of gizzard shad and gobies. In the past few years the walleye have been moving up river to shallow slow moving areas of the river where i catch crappie in the fall. Somewhere you would least expect a walleye. i believe they are following the large schools of shad gobies and crappies that seem to stay in the river for a good two months. As a kid pre goby times the walleye didn't go up river past the train tracks. now during goby times i find them past highway 42 in shallow muddy water. i can remember the first year they entered the river. i was just a kid checking my minnow trap and it was full of gobies, i remember how scared i was because of all the negative reports. ever since they invaded the belle river a very healthy supply of large mouth, musky, pike, crappie, channel cat, perch and bluegill and yes a very rarely trout have learned too call that river home.

I love having gobies around. I grew up on the belle river on Lake st clair. i fished the area heavily my whole life. Every walleye i harvest in the fall is full of gizzard shad and gobies. In the past few years the walleye have been moving up river to shallow slow moving areas of the river where i catch crappie in the fall. Somewhere you would least expect a walleye. i believe they are following the large schools of shad gobies and crappies that seem to stay in the river for a good two months. As a kid pre goby times the walleye didn't go up river past the train tracks. now during goby times i find them past highway 42 in shallow muddy water. i can remember the first year they entered the river. i was just a kid checking my minnow trap and it was full of gobies, i remember how scared i was because of all the negative reports. ever since they invaded the belle river a very healthy supply of large mouth, musky, pike, crappie, channel cat, perch and bluegill and yes a very rarely trout have learned too call that river home.

It's a love hate relationship ;)

Back