Dipsys

TMAN

I'm new to the walleye trolling. I don't have lead core yet(maybe next year) No rigger right now either. I do have a manual rigger that needs a repair. Anyway in the mean time I am going to try my dipsys. I have always had them but never really used them and need some help. Anyone know a good link or have a vast knowledge of trolling with them? Not sure how fast to go, how much line to let out, how much line to let out to lure. I appreciate and respect all opinions and knowledge

I use the book Big Water Precision trolling it gives you all of the information you will ever need. Speed, line count, depth even if your using mono, braid or wire. Looks like you can get it on Amazon.

Hope this helps.

Tight Lines

RT

I'm new to the walleye trolling. I don't have lead core yet(maybe next year) No rigger right now either. I do have a manual rigger that needs a repair. Anyway in the mean time I am going to try my dipsys. I have always had them but never really used them and need some help. Anyone know a good link or have a vast knowledge of trolling with them? Not sure how fast to go, how much line to let out, how much line to let out to lure. I appreciate and respect all opinions and knowledge
Hey tman. Dipseys are easy to run. For walleye go slow1.6-2.2 i run #1 dipseys on 3 setting on outside and #2 seting on inside and just follow instrutions on line out to depth. What ever depth you see the fish look up on depth chart and your good.4-6 ft mono leads to your lures

Last edited:
There is an app called acudipsy punch in a what size dipsy, speed, and desired depth and it tells u how much line to run.

Hey fellah. Go online and get the dipsey diver dive chart. (Do a Google image search). it's gives you a rough estimate of your depth. At a certain speed.. Lines thickness and diver size. With or without the o-ring also come into play weather be braid or mono. Personally I like mono. (Good stretch to it. No need for a snubber)Your leads are fish dependant. Sometimes I run 8ft lead sometimes the fish aren't picky and I'll run 2ft lead. Pick up a few 3 1/2 inch spoons and some wally divers. And find some fish and hitt'em hard dude.
Tight lines

post-149946-0-62219800-1376871245_zpsvtoivzce.jpg

Here is the one I use

Anyone run dipsys off planer boards? Or just the Jets? If so what kind of release would you use? They pull pretty hard

A couple of things from my experience:

1) Big dipsy divers pull way too hard for inline boards. Lots of guys run smaller divers off big boards though.
2) Your dipsy will release way more reliably if you run braid or other no-stretch line to the dipsy then a snubber with mono or fluoro leader after the dipsy. Mono stretches way to much and it can be difficult to even force the diver to release due to the stretch. I run 50 lb braid. The snubber is important, I've had rainbows explode fishing rods twice when the snubber got forgotten since that is the only shock absorbing stuff in the whole rig.
3) If you are using a line counter reel to figure out your depth, remember that the counter is only accurate when the spool is very nearly full. If you are running a partially filled spool, go try it in the yard to see how much acutal line is out at a given counter setting to get you in the ballpark before you go out in the boat.
4) Your lead can't be too long (maybe 8 or 10 feet max) or landing the fish can become very difficult.

Start at a certain depth like 80 feet of line out and if you see fish on your graph with no takers try letting out 10 more feet of line....repeat if necessary

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks