Dipsy Divers

Dune1975

Good morning everyone. I have started trolling for walleye this year and have a problem with 3 out of my 4 dipsy divers. When I let them out the come floating to the surface. I am travelling 2 miles per hour. Any tips?

Do you have them hooked up properly, sounds like they may be tied to the wrong ring or the release pins are not clipped in. They can't dive if the release pin is not clipped in. Refer to the diagram to make sure they are tied correctly. hope this helps. :)

1533470682068.png

Make sure your weight is on the correct # on the arrow, I went to far and didn't have it lined up and it floated

Do you have them hooked up properly, sounds like they may be tied to the wrong ring or the release pins are not clipped in. They can't dive if the release pin is not clipped in. Refer to the diagram to make sure they are tied correctly. hope this helps. :)

View attachment 10174
That is exactly how I have them set up. And once the line is tight they float right to the surface.

How are you letting them back?

If it isn't sloooowly and without jerking, you might be accidentally fouling the line and the dipsy, or accidentally causing the dipsy to release which will allow it to surface.

Does it come up right side up, or "screwed up"?

Hello Dune1975- When I let out line with all of my Dipsey Divers- Yes as hvyhaul states to let them out SLOWLY- What you can do to be sure is to utilize your CLICKER button to ON and let out SLOWLY PLUS- use your thumb\ finger to add some tension while letting out! If you keep your rod-tip close to the surface this also aids to the speed your letting out line therefore the need for some tension THUMBING it! Trolling speed should be maintained at 2.8-3.0 m.p.h. when using spoons\cranks! VERY IMPORTANT! Remember- TOO SLOW- equals- undesirable fish! Good Luck my friend and hope this helps! Tight Lines Walleyeman.

Sound like they are tripping to light of setting tighten screw where arm clips in
Good morning everyone. I have started trolling for walleye this year and have a problem with 3 out of my 4 dipsy divers. When I let them out the come floating to the surface. I am travelling 2 miles per hour. Any tips?

Very true Zingerman- Good point! One counters the other! Should always use shallow-running cranks- if using bodybaits! - Spoons no problem.

That is exactly how I have them set up. And once the line is tight they float right to the surface.
When you say. Once the line is tight ?? Are you saying you just left them out without any tension and then lock them in. They need to be deployed slowly with constant drag.

Back