Detroit river

Lots of guys head to the D expecting limits and come home disappointed their first few trips. It's definitely not as easy as some of the regulars make it look and it takes some time to get the hang of boat control, areas to fish, tackle, and just how to jig. The fish are constantly on the move as well and aren't always easy to find; locations and depths from one day often don't produce the next. Lots of pretty good fishermen that I've taken down go home badly outfished their first trip or two even though they were in the same boat, and using the same tackle; there's a bit of a knack to it. We've gotten better at fishing it over the last 10 years (with some help from others) but we only do a handful of trips each year. @big rod and some of the other guys on here have spent countless hours fishing and guiding on the D for many years and make it look pretty easy. Using them as a measure of your success is only setting yourself up for disappointment.
What he said.LOL.

I've got a charter booked with Ian Jones in May. Closest I've ever come to the Detroit river is the Ambassador bridge. So hopefully he'll be able to teach us 3 old dogs the tricks to bring up a few eyes?

Dan.

Your absolutely right G.Mech , i forget that i fished the river from my late teens til my late 40's 3-5 days a week before moving to Colchester and i can do it pretty much with my eyes closed lol .There are many factors which come into play when fishing the Detroit river , most important is boat control. point the motor in which ever is the strongest resistance , wind or currant . second keeping line vertical and feeling bottom . both are made easier with braided line ( the high viability yellow helps) If your controlling the boat and your line is straight and vertical then so should everyone else's in the boat. One of the biggest improvement for me was when I got a nice jigging rod . Med. heavy rod paired with the braid and i could feel everything. I do put a mono leader about 2 ft , just in case i get into a snag i can't get out of. I only fish the river about once or twice a year now I've moved and depending on how long it takes me to fill my turkey tags.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks