Detroit river

Sparky

Any reports on water clarity on the Detroit river?

On our way down to fish this aft. Good reports in most areas. I wouldn't hesitate to head down tomorrow. Will post later on between fishing and extra cirriculars.

Thanks, look forward to your post. We were thinking of launching at Lakeview Marina tomorrow morning!

We fished mid-river from Ambassador down to Fighting Island this afternoon. Water is stained but fishable on the Cdn side and considerably better on the US side. We only fished Cdn side today around the middle of the river with everyone else. Fair number of small fish North of Fighting Island in 36+ fow, very few caught anywhere else we checked out and none of any size. We didn't tip with minnows today but I think we will tomorrow, water is still only 40F, guys around us who were doing better seemed to be using them.

I suggest getting your MI license for starters and would be tempted to try the upper tomorrow, I think that's what we're going to do. There were good reports from up there today and I think mid-river is going to be a total zoo tomorrow. Nobody is reporting any large fish but they're still here somewhere....we're going to see if they're hiding at Cheetah's later on tonight! Will post if we find them around 2am....

Thanks for the report, we got our MI licences, just need to find some minnows on the way!

Yup lots of boats, first time for us on the D, we only got 3 fish, pearl jig body tipped with a worm, with stinger hook. Launched from Lakeview around 8:30, no line ups, fished from lake St. Clair to the cop shop mostly on the US side, water was good really on both sides but cold 40 degrees was the warmest we found. Saw fish caught here and there but I don't think people we slammen them!

20180421_101836.jpg20180421_134209.jpg

Just jigging for us, first time on the river trying to keep it simple. Only hand lined once before, for makeral on the east coast and it was effective. We thought about trolling some bottom bouncer but never got to it. Saw some guys trolling but no hand lines that we saw.

Dudes this ain't a secret spot shot us first timers some details! Rough location depth and presentation would be great;)

@PlanB ... Launch out of La Salle... go up river past Fighting Island and start vertical jigging ... make contact with the bottom and jig up .... repeat 3 zillion times or until you feel a fish

Don't matter which part of the river you fish , it's carpeted with walleye. Vertical lines are crucial use just the heaviest jig you need to feel bottom consistently , generally half once , plastic or live bait which ever you have confidence in. the other day east end soon as I left little river started jigging had my limit in 2 drifts past Solidarity towers

Lots of guys head to the D expecting limits and come home disappointed their first few trips. It's definitely not as easy as some of the regulars make it look and it takes some time to get the hang of boat control, areas to fish, tackle, and just how to jig. The fish are constantly on the move as well and aren't always easy to find; locations and depths from one day often don't produce the next. Lots of pretty good fishermen that I've taken down go home badly outfished their first trip or two even though they were in the same boat, and using the same tackle; there's a bit of a knack to it. We've gotten better at fishing it over the last 10 years (with some help from others) but we only do a handful of trips each year. @big rod and some of the other guys on here have spent countless hours fishing and guiding on the D for many years and make it look pretty easy. Using them as a measure of your success is only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks