Detroit River

Jetdog

Where are guys launching there boats in Detroit River for walleye? Shouldn’t run be soon?

Just had a look at the webcam on Belle Isle... couldn't see any ice and saw no boats.

Just drove by today and didn't see any ice or any boats but it's pretty early yet. Usually late March or so but who knows this year. I'm pretty sure there is still some more ice to come down the river before it's done. The launch at McKee Park on Chewitt street is ice free and looked good to go. If you are going, remember that most boat insurance requires lay-up until April 1st so you need to contact your agent if you're going early.

Just drove by today and didn't see any ice or any boats but it's pretty early yet. Usually late March or so but who knows this year. I'm pretty sure there is still some more ice to come down the river before it's done. The launch at McKee Park on Chewitt street is ice free and looked good to go. If you are going, remember that most boat insurance requires lay-up until April 1st so you need to contact your agent if you're going early.
Just had a look at the webcam on Belle Isle... couldn't see any ice and saw no boats.
Would you website address for webcam? Thanks

What are most people using to lure walleye to but?

Most guys use 1/2 ox - 3/4 oz jigs with 4" Fin-S or Gulp minnows. If you search for 'Detroit' there are a number of threads from the last few years with tons of good info.

Most guys use 1/2 ox - 3/4 oz jigs with 4" Fin-S or Gulp minnows. If you search for 'Detroit' there are a number of threads from the last few years with tons of good info.
Any special style of jig head or colour? Long ways to drive not having the right product. Thanks for your help!!!!

We have used both ball head and current cutter style jigs. My favours weight is 5/8th for most fishing under 30 feet. Some of the deep drifts under the bridge we use 3/4. The trick we've found is to use the lightest jig you can possibly get away with given the current. Until you learn the drifts, heavier is better but once you've got the hang of it you can lighten up your jigs. Baits anything from fin s fish to a standard 4 inch bass worm. Keep a selection of colours but I find naturals best. Earlier is better for big fish. I'm predicting 2 weeks for the big heavys to start but if you want to catch numbers then the first couple weeks of April are best as had been mentioned. I find that when we fish April, we catch some decent fish but the bulk are eaters. Nothing wrong with that though! Don't forget stinger hooks on everything!

We have used both ball head and current cutter style jigs. My favours weight is 5/8th for most fishing under 30 feet. Some of the deep drifts under the bridge we use 3/4. The trick we've found is to use the lightest jig you can possibly get away with given the current. Until you learn the drifts, heavier is better but once you've got the hang of it you can lighten up your jigs. Baits anything from fin s fish to a standard 4 inch bass worm. Keep a selection of colours but I find naturals best. Earlier is better for big fish. I'm predicting 2 weeks for the big heavys to start but if you want to catch numbers then the first couple weeks of April are best as had been mentioned. I find that when we fish April, we catch some decent fish but the bulk are eaters. Nothing wrong with that though! Don't forget stinger hooks on everything!

See attachment, where is this location on Detroit River

Attachments

• Safari - Mar 10, 2018 at 6:47 AM.pdf
    25 KB · Views: 91
I believe that is looking upstream from the south side of Belle Isle towards Lake St Clair but I'm not 100% sure. If its from the river cam at the museum then I'm pretty sure that's the location.

Back