Delta Waterfowl Great Lakes Initiative

Mike Kunkel

Please have a look at the great things Delta is doing in our area.

Dear Mr. Mike Kunkel:

You may remember that Dr. Scott Petrie (Chief Executive Officer, Delta Waterfowl) introduced the Great Lakes Initiative to the LPWA members at our AGM in April of 2016 which was very informative as well as impressive.

I therefore included Delta Waterfowl as a potential organization regarding the distribution of funds within The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation when I announced last fall that $30,000.00 would be available in January of 2018 to organizations that support "waterfowl" hunting in Canada. I posted a copy of my "open letter" to waterfowlers at the LPWMU office in December before the unit closed ... you may have seen it there. I will attempt to post a copy of that letter on this "waterfowl" forum.

The one time grant of $10,000.00 that has been set aside for Delta Waterfowl as well as the additional annual grant of $2,000.00 (starting in January of 2019) for twenty (20) years remain available to Delta Waterfowl until May 01, 2018 should its Board of Directors decide to support "waterfowl" hunting in Canada as per my recent letters (February 18, 2018 and February 20, 2018) to Mr. Chip Pitfield (Vice Chairman, Delta Waterfowl) regarding "waterfowl" hunting in Canada.

You may remember that Mr. Monte Sonnenberg (Reporter, Simcoe Reformer) wrote an article about Tundra Swans in March of 2013 in which he stated that you would support a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season if it was sustainable ... it is.

Sincerely,

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

PS Please read my next post regarding Delta Waterfowl's position regarding a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada.

Hello Guys,

I received a response from Dr. F. Rohwer (President, Delta Waterfowl) to the letter that I had written regarding support for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada during the summer of 2016 in which he advised me that Delta Waterfowl was going to "remain silent" on the Tundra Swan issue.

Dr. F. Rohwer has not responded to any of my subsequent letters regarding a potential Tundra Swan season in Canada or my financial support for their Great Lakes Initiative. I have recently attempted to contact the Board of Directors for Delta Waterfowl through the Canadian office but I have not received a response from anyone regarding either of these two (2) issues.

I have advised the Board of Directors on no uncertain terms that "for representatives of Delta Waterfowl to 'remain silent' regarding a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season is tantamount to them not supporting waterfowl hunting in Canada since the term 'waterfowl' includes ducks, geese and swans".

In the event that I do not receive a response from the Board of Directors by May 01, 2018 indicating a change in the Delta Waterfowl policy regarding a potential Tundra Swan season in Canada then the funds currently available for their Great Lakes Initiative will be distributed to other interested parties that support "waterfowl" hunting in Canada.

I suggest that anyone interested in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada or my financial support for their Great Lakes Initiative should contact Delta Waterfowl and make your support for these two (2) issues known. Members of a local Delta Waterfowl chapter may want to contact a representative of their chapter.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

Last edited:
Mr. Katchin. Delta HAS requested consideration for a tundra swan season in the western provinces.
The exact quote from the letter sent to the CWS from Delta Waterfowl states. " We would like to have consideration for a tundra swan season in western provinces. There are several states that currently have seasons and our membership in Saskatchewan has expressed interest. This would be a limited tag/draw for one bird per season."
The letter was sent February 28 2018.
Jerome, the staff at Delta are very adept at knowing when, what, and just as importantly where to pick a fight (for lack of better terms).
Regards
Mike Kunkel

Dear Mike,

I would like to thank you for providing me with the update on the Delta Waterfowl's recently amended position regarding a potential Tundra Swan season in Canada ... I truly appreciated your response to my previous post.

I am however disappointed (understandably) that Dr. F. Rohwer (President, Delta Waterfowl) did not respond directly to any of my subsequent letters following his proclamation to me in August of 2016 that Delta Watetfowl was going to "remain silent" regarding a potential limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada.

I provided Delta Waterfowl with a copy of the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation's letter of support dated December 05, 2017 as well as a copy of my "open letter" to waterfowlers dated December 08, 2017 (copy enclosed below) at that time.

I trust that an appropriate response from either Dr. F. Rohwer or the Board of Directors of Delta Waterfowl will be forthcoming along with a copy of their letter to the Canadian Wildlife Service expressing their request for consideration for a Tundra Swan season in the western provinces ... which would be Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

I have not heard back from the Manitoba Wildlife Federation reading this issue since Mr. R. Olson (Managing Director) resigned late last spring. However he did express an interest in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

Sincerely,

Jerome

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

December 08, 2017

Re: Available Funds for Waterfowl Organizations

Dear Fellow Waterfowlers:

Further to my letter of September 24, 2017 regarding "A Canadian Tundra Swan Season - Review and Update" in which I described the funds within The Dr. Jerome Kacthin Waterfowl Foundation that would be available for waterfowl organizations that support "waterfowl" hunting this is to advise you that the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation (SWF) was the first organization to accept my offer.

Mr. D. Crabbe (Executive Director, SWF) responded to my letter of November 28, 2017 on December 05, 2017 to express their support for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season as per the Canadian Wildlife Service's Tundra Swan Season Assessment that was completed in August of 2013. Consequently I have advised Mr. D. Crabbe that a one time grant of $5,000.00 as well as an annual grant of $1,000.00 for twenty (20) years shall be available to their organization starting in 2018.

The following is a summary of the funds that will be available at the end of this year for waterfowl organizations that support "waterfowl" hunting.

1) The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters: a one time grant of $10,000.00 as well as an additional annual grant of $2,000.00 for a period of twenty (20) years.

2) The Manitoba Wildlife Federation: a one time grant of $5,000.00 as well as an additional annual grant of $1,000.00 for a period of twenty (20) years.

3) The Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation: a one time grant of $5,000.00 as well as an additional annual grant of $1,000.00 for a period of twenty (20) years.

4) The Delta Waterfowl Foundation: a one time grant of $10,000.00 as well as an additional annual grant of $2,000.00 for a period of twenty (20) years.

Note: Providing that these four (4) organizations promote and support our tradition of waterfowl hunting (in an ethical and sustainable manner) within their respective provinces. However the term "waterfowl" includes ducks, geese and swans.

Note: The one time grants will be available in January of 2018 with the additional annual grants starting in January of 2019 and continuing to January of 2038 (inclusive).

5) The Trumpeter Swan Society: an annual grant of $2,000.00 (minimum) for the purpose of promoting and improving Trumpeter Swan identification in Canadian jurisdictions that have a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

I have requested that all of you submit a letter of support (an e-mail is fine) expressing your interest in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season to Ms. D. Sucee (Fish and Wildlife Biologist, OFAH) with a copy to Mr. J. Hughes (Manager, Wildlife and Habitat Assessment, CWS) because the Canadian Wildlife Service would like to have the support from the hunting community before giving further consideration to the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

You may contact Ms. D. Sucee by regular mail (4601 Guthrie Drive, Peterborough, Ontario, K9J 6Y3 or P.O. Box 2800, Peterborough, Ontario, K9J 8L5), by telephone (1-705-748-6324 ext. 204), by fax (1-705-748-9577) and by e-mail (dawn_sucee@ofah.org).

You may contact Mr. J. Hughes by regular mail (335 River Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0H3), by telephone (1-613-949-8259), by fax (1-613-949-8307) and by e-mail (jack.hughes@canada.ca).

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

December 08, 2017

Re: Available Funds for Waterfowl Organizations

Dear Fellow Waterfowlers:

Further to my letter of September 24, 2017 regarding "A Canadian Tundra Swan Season - Review and Update" in which I described the funds within The Dr. Jerome Kacthin Waterfowl Foundation that would be available for waterfowl organizations that support "waterfowl" hunting this is to advise you that the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation (SWF) was the first organization to accept my offer.

Mr. D. Crabbe (Executive Director, SWF) responded to my letter of November 28, 2017 on December 05, 2017 to express their support for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season as per the Canadian Wildlife Service's Tundra Swan Season Assessment that was completed in August of 2013. Consequently I have advised Mr. D. Crabbe that a one time grant of $5,000.00 as well as an annual grant of $1,000.00 for twenty (20) years shall be available to their organization starting in 2018.

The following is a summary of the funds that will be available at the end of this year for waterfowl organizations that support "waterfowl" hunting.

1) The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters: a one time grant of $10,000.00 as well as an additional annual grant of $2,000.00 for a period of twenty (20) years.

2) The Manitoba Wildlife Federation: a one time grant of $5,000.00 as well as an additional annual grant of $1,000.00 for a period of twenty (20) years.

3) The Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation: a one time grant of $5,000.00 as well as an additional annual grant of $1,000.00 for a period of twenty (20) years.

4) The Delta Waterfowl Foundation: a one time grant of $10,000.00 as well as an additional annual grant of $2,000.00 for a period of twenty (20) years.

Note: Providing that these four (4) organizations promote and support our tradition of waterfowl hunting (in an ethical and sustainable manner) within their respective provinces. However the term "waterfowl" includes ducks, geese and swans.

Note: The one time grants will be available in January of 2018 with the additional annual grants starting in January of 2019 and continuing to January of 2038 (inclusive).

5) The Trumpeter Swan Society: an annual grant of $2,000.00 (minimum) for the purpose of promoting and improving Trumpeter Swan identification in Canadian jurisdictions that have a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

I have requested that all of you submit a letter of support (an e-mail is fine) expressing your interest in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season to Ms. D. Sucee (Fish and Wildlife Biologist, OFAH) with a copy to Mr. J. Hughes (Manager, Wildlife and Habitat Assessment, CWS) because the Canadian Wildlife Service would like to have the support from the hunting community before giving further consideration to the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

You may contact Ms. D. Sucee by regular mail (4601 Guthrie Drive, Peterborough, Ontario, K9J 6Y3 or P.O. Box 2800, Peterborough, Ontario, K9J 8L5), by telephone (1-705-748-6324 ext. 204), by fax (1-705-748-9577) and by e-mail (dawn_sucee@ofah.org).

You may contact Mr. J. Hughes by regular mail (335 River Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0H3), by telephone (1-613-949-8259), by fax (1-613-949-8307) and by e-mail (jack.hughes@canada.ca).

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Dear Waterfowlers:

I posted a copy of my "open letter" to waterfowlers dated December 08, 2017 on April 06, 2018. Please note that Ms. D. Sucee (Wildlife Biologist, OFAH) has left the OFAH and that Ms. L. Tonelli (Wildlife Biologist, OFAH) has taken over her vacant position.

You may contact Ms. L. Tonelli at the OFAH by e-mail (lauren_tonelli@ofah.org) to express your interest and support for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season. You may also provide a copy of your letter to Mr. M. DeMille (Manager of Fish and Wildlife Services, OFAH) and Mr. A. Lombardo (Executive Director, OFAH) ... their e-mail addresses are (matt_demille@ofah.org) and (angelo_lombardo@ofah.org) respectively.

Mr. J. Hughes (Manager, Wildlife and Habitat Assessment, CWS) would appreciate receiving a copy of your letter as well since he is documenting the level of support for such a season. His e-mail (jack.hughes@canada.ca) and other contact information is included in my letter.

Please take the time to express your interest and support for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season now so that we could potentially have such a season by the fall of 2020 ... if sufficient interest and support is forthcoming.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Hello Guys,

I support Delta Waterfowl and its various programs ... especially the Great Lakes Initiative that Dr. Scott Petrie launched in 2016.

I joined Delta Waterfowl as a member in 2001 and became a sponsor in 2005. I have also financially supported the Adopt-a-Pothole, Predator Mangement and Hen House programs since 2005 although the Adopt-a-Pothole program was recently replaced by the Working Wetlands program. I have donated a Tundra Swan decoy to the Norfolk Chapter every year for several years and will continue to do so.

I would suggest that any "waterfowl" hunter who is not a Delta Waterfowl member should consider joining since we are attempting to double our membership within five (5) years.

However my main objective (since 2010) is to see a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season implemented in Canada as per the Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans that was updated in 2007 and the Canadian Wildlife Service's Tundra Swan Season Assessment that was completed in August of 2013.

Consequently any organization that supports "waterfowl" hunting in Canada should support a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada because the term "waterfowl" includes ducks, geese and swans.

If you agree with this logic then I would ask that you contact your Delta Waterfowl representative and express your support for such a season.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks