Deer Population Must Be Down

trky chsr

The deer population in 90 must really be down (according to MNR), this is the first time since they have had a antlerless deer draw that I didn't get a tag for archery. Maybe they'll bounce back next year. TC

I am seeing the same amount of deer on my trail cams this summer as I have every other previous year, not sure where they get their deer data from....looks like if I want extra venison this year, i'll have to use my truck lol

Old guy story, your fault Jwalsh, you mentioned truck? Back in the day, guess you know where this is going?
Our gang hunted the Union, Stanley area, I'm Ingersoll area.
Stayed up way to late at local gentleman's club, woke up 45 min late from set time to head to stand's, bombing down back rd,s to make up time, came over a hill, nailed a huge 8pt, grill, fender, mirror but drive-able.
Pulled into camp, listened to being late bitching for a bit, and told them to look in the back.
Truck was only a couple month's old, but I still laugh.

If I got a antlerless tag for bow, can I use it on a buck during the controlled hunt?
If you got your antlerless tag it is also a tag for a buck during any open season for deer. To hunt in the controlled hunt you need to be drawn for that hunt. TC

we are seeing lots of deer in 90b ,,,,not sure were you are ,but you have to remember it is hard to see deer when the corn is this high ,,,,,lollll,,just kidding ,,,hope for the best Dutch

we are seeing lots of deer in 90b ,,,,not sure were you are ,but you have to remember it is hard to see deer when the corn is this high ,,,,,lollll,,just kidding ,,,hope for the best Dutch
That's good to hear, I'm in 90b as well. Actually I've been seeing deer and I have a "normal" number on my trail cams. I'm not concerned about the population just find it odd that after all these years this is the first I haven't been drawn for antlerless. TC

Thanks for the info that's what I thought, but I didn't want to make a mistake and get a fine.

your validation to hunt in the controlled hunt will validate your tag for what ever sex your controlled ticket says ,,,most times it will be ether sex tag ...you have to go threw the draw to get in to the controlled hunt ,,,Dutch

That's good to hear, I'm in 90b as well. Actually I've been seeing deer and I have a "normal" number on my trail cams. I'm not concerned about the population just find it odd that after all these years this is the first I haven't been drawn for antlerless. TC

I cant believe you did not get a anterless, i figured it was guaranteed in this area lol, I got mine in the mail yesterday, dad and brother also got theirs, we are all 90b (and 47 for rifle) as well. However, with only one tag this year and no additional, I will be holding out for a buck anyways, between bow hunting, northern hunt camp and the controlled hunt down here, I should be able to get some antlers.

There was like 90 some people last year that didnt get them either . I know i was one of them funny thing was got a antlerless tag for the controlled hunt guess it was ok to shoot a doe with the gun just not the bow. go figure!!!

Here's my question..... why apply for antlerless tag when you don't plan on shooting one. It has to have antlers to shoot and fill your tag.
I feel sorry for the people that didn't get drawn for an antlerless tag.

Ingersoll rural area, live here in a fairly heavy bush area, not seeing the deer were used to? Realize crops are on, but living here kinda get used to seeing them certain places at certain times, bug,s, heat, ect? Turkeys, down too, yotes seem lower as well, just my observation. Raccoon are extreme.

Here's my question..... why apply for antlerless tag when you don't plan on shooting one. It has to have antlers to shoot and fill your tag.
I feel sorry for the people that didn't get drawn for an antlerless tag.
I apply for anterless because if I don't have a buck down by December, I will take a doe so I fill the freezer.

Couple years ago I wasn't successful for a doe tag. However there were still additional tags available..... figure that one out. I spent the extra cash and bought the additional...

I believe the deer pops are down in some areas compared to 5-10 years ago. We have 100 acres outside of Ailsa Craig and the #s are significantly less. Around St.Thomas/Union where I bowhunt, the numbers are a bit less, but still super healthy. I can understand not being able to access the 2-6 extra antlerless tags we could a few years back, but not drawing one seems...strange...esp for the archery season.
I had heard from a VERY reliable source that much of this came from an influential sports group in the WMU 90 area who was able to pressure the policy makers to decrease the tags...which happened across the entire southern district. Strange things do happen.
Once again, the MNR puzzles me.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks